Author Topic: Brainstorming: Adventures in the Dresdenverse  (Read 15293 times)

Offline Black Armos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming: Adventures in the Dresdenverse
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 04:00:37 AM »
I was thinking a good fit with some of the horror and humor of the Dresdenverse would be Whedon's Buffyverse.  I have used a Harry-style character in a Buffy campaign I ran.  I was think of using some stuff from Buffy episodes as inspiration for Dresden adventures.  One ememy I was thinking about would be the Gentlemen from the episode Hush.  Use them as a group of wild Fae like the Erlking from the Nevernever that comes to town to cause havoc.  Maybe a wizard has summoned them as a diversion.  Maybe they are looking for something or someone.  maybe one of the PCs.

I do not know the group I will be using as PCs.  I was thinking of just letting the players think up individual characters with no overall theme because I do not live in a city with enough interest to have a large group of wizards or anything else for that matter.  I will probably just end up using Baltimore.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 04:29:57 AM »
One ememy I was thinking about would be the Gentlemen from the episode Hush.  Use them as a group of wild Fae like the Erlking from the Nevernever that comes to town to cause havoc.  Maybe a wizard has summoned them as a diversion.  Maybe they are looking for something or someone.  maybe one of the PCs.
Those guys give off serious "Demon" vibes.

Demons in how they are defined in the Dresdenverse: Predators of the Nevernever.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
I'm not sure how I would handle it, with fae though. While "Trickery" is the Fae domain, I'm thinking something more on par with Loki, Coyote, etc - very interested in Mortal affairs, or at least the affairs of individuals that they feel need to be "taught a lesson"..

What if an individual that really did need to be 'taught a lesson' who made a deal with a member of the Winter Court, enlisted the players to help them get out of the deal.  Loki or Coyote would do as well or maybe make up your own bad guy...
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »
This thread is similar to one from last year...
But let's see, my potential players have all expressed
A.) Wariness about mixing modern times and the supernatural (we primarily play d20 and d20 Modern hasn't worked outs so well that way)
B.) An interest in being mortal or near to it.

So for my part this means little or no involvement with the White Council.  These players will not be working for them at least.  It also means that we have to be careful with the supernatural, as the suspension of disbelief is tenuous. 

We actually live in Baltimore, and the region really is rich in material, so that part isn't so bad.  We'll mainly be looking at "Classic" fairy tale or nursery rhyme bad guys, with some of the more overt Dresden baddies coming out later.  So we'll look at the boogeyman, el chupacabra, Black Aggie (of course, though it's not in Baltimore anymore, I don't think), the "Wandering Jew" (no offense meant there, just a title), or many other folklore creatures including goblins, gremlins, and the Shadow Man (from an 80's Twilight Zone episode... good stuff). 

One main character will actually be a Fallen Angel disguised as a businessman.  He'll likely be the main antagonist that connects through the campaign, though I think we'll be serialized otherwise.  We may even get a chance to look at Titans or nephilim down the road.

I think the first one will be a young man using magic to steal money.  The characters need to track down what seems like impossible heists.  Ultimately the young man is using the money to save his sister who is in the hospital with _____.  May force a Warden confrontation by having the young man dominate someone's mind. 

Other thoughts include doing a Ghost Hunters style "episode" where the ghost is actually a real boogeyman.  My intention is to make great use of the player's ability to look online for things.  If we can use real research for their characters, all the better!  If I throw out an unusual creature, I'll just have to make sure that I can give the players good search terms or something. :)  Anyway, now I'm rambling, so: Later!
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 07:44:02 AM »
DFRPG adventures I can see falling into the Buffy, "Monster" a week or BBETTCAWDTW (Big Bad Evil Thing That Can And Will Destroy The World" a Week structure. This week the Shroud of Turin, next week the actual Grendel and the week after that soe introspective character moments involving Sweet from Once More, With Feeling.

But, that can work in a DF game and it will never get boring.

IMHO, the key to a Dresdenified Adventure is the Dresden Tongue-in-cheek/Dry/Black Humor that comes with Harry Dresden's world view.

In D&D Adventures, you can have the monster destroying the town adventure plot and the adventure will work. It's an average day.
In Eberron, you can do that same Adventure with a subplot that adds dark overtones to it.
In Cyberpunk, you can do this, but the likelyhood the characters will survive is tanked unless they get really creative.

In the Dresden Files, you have to combine all three of these approaches and make it funny.
Often times the players shouldn't add a pop culture reference or laugh, but they just gotta....

In fact, it's a requirement....

However, no 2 DMs will approach the same material the same way. Everybody likes different parts of Dresden. Some people like the Phillip Marlowe aspect, wanting to make their game dark or like Angel. While others like the humor and have a serious threat in an awkward situation.

Example Adventure(This sounds like the beginning of a Dresden Book): A new Panda has been brought into the City Zoo. However, the Zookeeper skimped on the money(Pandas are expensive) and didn't want to handle the Chinese Government, so he got a Panda through a shady dealer. The Panda they ended up with was a Demon that was dormant, but now has run amok in the zoo. The players begin the adventure being called in by the Murphy Surrogate to handle the Demon. They find the Demon sleeping in the middle of the Zoo, dead bodies all around.

Some DMs will feel inclined to downplay the humor, going for more of the, "it's a big scary thing running around the zoo killing people. Not funny" Players: "But it's a panda!"  DM: "Blood drips from its teeth..."

While some DMs will instead go for an adventure in a more off the wall style. If I was going for that kind of game I would follow the previous details with the following:
The Demon Panda snores as one of the Zookeepers crawls away to safety. He makes a sound. The Panda awakens and groggily tosses him like a ragdoll. All the while, the Panda yells, not growls, but yells in Cantonese and goes back to sleep.
Even if a PC doesn't speak Mandarin or Cantonese they figure the Panda basically said, "QUIET! SHUT UP! QUIET! I SAID QUIET! WHAT'S THE MATTA', YOU DEEF OR SOMETHIN'?" If someone does speak Cantonese, they know he said exactly that. The players will die laughing and end up angering the panda and starting the adventure.
(Extra points to the person who knows the origin of that joke...)

IT all depends on the DM, the group and the interpretation of Dresden you like.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
DFRPG adventures I can see falling into the Buffy, "Monster" a week or BBETTCAWDTW (Big Bad Evil Thing That Can And Will Destroy The World" a Week structure. This week the Shroud of Turin, next week the actual Grendel and the week after that soe introspective character moments involving Sweet from Once More, With Feeling.

You also might want to go 'X-files style' if you have mainly low powered or human characters. (one could have fairy in their bloodline, one could be a 'one trick pony' while one could just be the super investigator type) - This would be a Monster-of-the-week and/or a main uber-bad guy who comes back once in a while.

I always thought the RPG could be like a high powered Kolchack;The Night Stalker episodes - with Carl's sense of humor (very much like Harry's but understated) and investigation rather than the Buffy - there's the bad guy now roll the dice and kill it - mentality.  I guess it's more of what kind of group you have.  Either one would work depending on your players.

IMHO, the key to a Dresdenified Adventure is the Dresden Tongue-in-cheek/Dry/Black Humor that comes with Harry Dresden's world view...

Often times the players shouldn't add a pop culture reference or laugh, but they just gotta....
In fact, it's a requirement....

It is also the GMs responsibility to add them.  Maybe your fighting an evil construct of Elvis - or a winter Fae lord has decided he wants to take over the life left by Kurt Cobain.  Why would The Black Court back a local (or presidential) politician?   There is a ghost who has possessed a local lawyer to win the cases he lost in life.  All kinds of different types of humor are a possibility.  Just look in the different sections of the newspaper. 

Or a history book.  What, if anything, did the White Counsel do during WW2 or the French Revolution?  What interesting characters can you bring from history to the present or have your characters back in time fighting something then?

However, no 2 DMs will approach the same material the same way. Everybody likes different parts of Dresden. Some people like the Phillip Marlowe aspect, wanting to make their game dark or like Angel. While others like the humor and have a serious threat in an awkward situation...
IT all depends on the DM, the group and the interpretation of Dresden you like.

As a GM to keep it 'Dresden like' you should use some over-the-top humorous situations and, of course the idea that most people don't know about this stuff and it will not come out in the open in a big way for fear of stirring up the human hordes.  There are big bad things out there watching you, and some are on your side, some are neutral, and some are eeeeevil. 

A GM should remember that, though they are running the game, if the players aren't syncing with the stories you making (ie they are not investigators and you have a Phillip Marllow style game) then you have to adapt your world to their playing ability.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »
Simple enough.

A young wizard is gathering to much power and influence, he is streching the councel to thin in constant raids, something needs to be done about him or we could lose the war.

The PCs are a group of agents of the White Councel who have the mission of stopping this guy.

That will be the first adventure to show that you can't just do what you want without consaquences.

Wait... you're having your first adventure be going up against Harry?
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 10:20:54 PM »
Wait... you're having your first adventure be going up against Harry?
I don't know if that's what Wyldcard intended, but a twist ending wherein the PC's are encourged to go up against one of the series' good guys would be great. Or, alternatively, aiding one of the bad guys. . . Such as, say, the recovery of a stolen coin collection? Specializing in 1st century Roman coinage that has been mysteriously and systematically defaced?  ;)
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »
I don't know if that's what Wyldcard intended, but a twist ending wherein the PC's are encourged to go up against one of the series' good guys would be great. Or, alternatively, aiding one of the bad guys.
I'm hoping to have a little more ambiguity than just good and bad. Yes - there are some pretty obvious bad guys, but for example was Bianca really bad? I know she lived by her nature, she killed people and she didnt get on with Harry, but in a certain light she was in the right, andHarry was the argessor. A lot of people don't get on with Harry and they aren't neccessarily bad.

How about Molly? If you ask Morgan he might well put her in the evil camp. So might the Merlin.

Now imagine the fun you can have by sending the White Council send the players out to deal with someone who's broken the laws of magic who's under the protection of the church. The church feel he's on Gods side, whilst the Council feel he's a Warlock. Perhaps the guys a faith healer who's cast out demons (and cured mental trauma). Maybe he's used magic to end the lives of people in great pain peacefully. You could even have someone transforming people to remove dibilitating injuries - making them whole.

Or you could look at it from the other side. How is the church going to react if some guy with a sword decapitates a beloved faith healer.

In fact how would the White Council react if they had the police, FBI and church after one of their wardens who'd just done his duty. Would they protect him or just cast him free. Maybe the'd send someone to silence him before he was interrogated?

There are a lot of morally ambiguous situations, characters and organisations in the Dresden books. The only characters who's loyalties we can be pretty sure about are Harry (since we 'hear' his thoughs) and Kincade (who is always on his own side). None of the organisations are entirely pure or entirely unpure. Both the council and the Chicago police are more concerned about politics than what's right, and groups like the White Court keep surprising us by showing redeaming characteristics. Its not black and white, so why should our adventures be?

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »
I'm hoping to have a little more ambiguity than just good and bad. Yes - there are some pretty obvious bad guys, but for example was Bianca really bad? . . . How about Molly? If you ask Morgan he might well put her in the evil camp. So might the Merlin.
True, but the very fact that I said "good guys" and "bad guys" instead of "heroes" and "villains" (or even "protagonists" and "antagonists") indicates the effect that sort of dramatic twist that a scenario like what I attempted to describe would generate.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 12:15:58 AM »
An exclusive clinic offers "reparative" therapy to change the sexual orientation of homosexual patients seems to have a booming business until people start turning up dead.  A few staff members and patients of the clinic end up dead of apparent suicide and one patient is discovered by the White Council to be possessed of strong mental magic.

It all seems over except for the beheading when someone notices that the clinic has connections to Skavis and Raith.  The strongest evidence is an electronic money trail, though, and is regarded skeptically by most of the older wizards.

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
  • Elve's they taste like chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
Hoping nobody i'd play with will see this. 

Imaging you're a young up start wizard/wizards, you've stayed off the radar not so much hiding from the council, if you even knew it was around but fear you will be called a freak/freaks, but you've used your talents to help friends and family so a reputation has been formed.

Set up, a group of relgious fanatics go on a modern day witch hunt, they catch wind of  your and the groups talents and come after you more than likely will try to burn you at the stake in some remote national forest or wearhouse.

twist one, the council is trying to track the group down too, so the players are facing two mysterious groups tracking them eventually the council will tell them of the laws of magic and if they break those laws then they will be hunted by the council as well.  And since the fanatics are human norms well that poses a problem

twist two, the fanatics are in reality lead and fooled by a vampire, you pick flavor of the day as far as court you want to use, his/her goal is to track down upstart wizards and kill them before the council can recruit them.

twist three, some of the local authorities are members of the fanatics.

end result, destroy the vampire, earn a good mark with the council for saving other wizards from future harm and not hurting the norms or destroy everybody and be under probation if not hunted by the council.

also a reason this in my opinion would make a good intro the the dresden world and a campaign would be that whenever things are going smooth and you need to "living" things up a bit, throw a disgruntled fanatic into a future session to keep the group on their toes. if they are now under the eye of the  council the laws of magic still apply.

Spirit of the Century Character, Mike "The Cashier" Green aka Cash Green
Holding "The Tommygun of Holy Vengance"

Offline Harlan Quinn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 05:06:48 AM »
I've been thinking that Vegas would be a good city for a campaign.

Gambling,Show Business,The Mob, Elvis, and more would be a great combination.    I've even got a couple of NPC's thought of:

Fenris - A stage magician at the Ice Palace, who may or may not be Loki The Trickster.  He has true magical powers and is associated in some form with the Winter Court. 

The King - An Elvis impersonator who can speak with the dead. 

Offline anthro7

• Participant
  • thrives on praise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 03:40:01 AM »
The King - An Elvis impersonator who can speak with the dead. 

ROFL XD
That is SO a Dresden idea! Dude, if Butcher had the opportunity, I bet he'd throw him in for shiggles and gits, that's great.
If ya throw that guy into an ongoing larp, he should be a running gag character, kinda like Butters or The Box Ghost. (Kudos if ya got that one.)
I have a signature, it looks like a star... but you can't see it. Harharhar.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
A body shows up in the swamp, near the mall. It shows signs of having been bound, hand and foot, with some sort of manacles. The heart and some other organs have been surgically removed. Most disturbingly, the person seems to have been alive when the cutting started. The police have no solid leads.

Clues lead the PCs to the local university, to a group of pre-med students. It seems that some among their number have made a pact with a demonic creature to get into Harvard medical, and the body was just part of their pact, a sacrifice. The details of the sacrifice imply a type of demon which will require more, precisely timed sacrifices. Three are required on the upcoming new moon, which is tomorrow night.

Oh, and the local White Court considers campus their private hunting ground. With the war going the way it is, pissing off the White Court is absolutely not an option.

Find the killers, stop the sacrifice, and make nice with the local White Court, all while dodging the efforts of a powerful demonic entity and campus police. No pressure, or anything.