Author Topic: Plot Helpers  (Read 5744 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Plot Helpers
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
It's in my nature to work in the 3rd method you described...however, I still haven't finished a novel. 

I would say create the characters and see how they affect the plot.  I'm more of a fan of character driven, though, so that's just my opinion.  However, I do appreciate Crichton's work as well, which is all plot-driven. 

And I agree...the concept sounds awesome.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
My method goes: create the world, create the hero, sketch a rough story arc that he'll have to travel (ie what is the major conflict of the story), then wing it to see how he does in the details.

But then, ive never finished a novel either.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
My method goes: create the world, create the hero, sketch a rough story arc that he'll have to travel (ie what is the major conflict of the story), then wing it to see how he does in the details.

That order of the starting things is interesting.

Often I get the arc first, or at least the key points along it, the key turning point in the middle or the major climax at the end, or just "what story do you get when this meets this ?"

I very often get my protagonists from "OK, what I need is a person who will do X in situation Y and Z in situation W. Any takers ? OK, what kind of person are you and why are you like this ?"  [ This breaks down for a specific range of characters who are somewhat like Aramis, who always have more schemes going than they will tell anyone, and if they won't tell you, that can make working with them a serious pain in the behind. ]

I'll often get the broad strokes of the world in the beginning or as an inherent part of the story shape, because something like "what would it mean to wake up nine hundred years in the future where your great-granddaughter is an extremely powerful uploaded AI ?" is a story that implies some fundamentals of the world it's set in, but the details almost always come from thinking about how things have to work to get the desired context for the hero, and I almost always learn lots more about it in the writing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:02:04 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »
If there is anything out there that is completely "borrowable", it is Shakespeare.  Dude, he "borrowed" his ideas anyway.  They are classic, proven over time, character driven with strong social commentary as a backbone & it's Shakespeare. 

Just for a training excercise you should try a short story that you derive from the guy and you'll learn so much from a master--long gone.  Learning is what it is all about anyway!

Well, that's my 2cents worth.   ::)

Edited because i realized that I hadn't shared my plot developments.  Usually real life news stories, but ideas are everywhere.  I start with the most 3D characters I can create with as much depth & backstory as I can.  After that the character will tell me where they need to grow and the plot develops.  Usually however I seem to have a societal issue that is bothering me--and the character unconsiously develops around that thought.  All the ideas posted above however are excellent in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:14:03 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess