Author Topic: Grim Vision of Things to Come  (Read 5420 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Grim Vision of Things to Come
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
It took most of the writers I know who are successful as many years as you are old to get the opportunity to share their work with the public. It's a bit early to throw in the towel, IMO.  ;)

Oh I'm not throwing in the towell...not by a long shot.  I don't think I'm capable of that. :)
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
Of course if I keep spelling words like 'towel' wrong, the road to success may have extra bumps in it.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
But I can relate to your "I can't imagine spending my life doing some job I don't care about just to earn a living" attitude.

It's called "work" because people pay you for it, if it were fun enough to do it anyway this wouldn;t happen.  It would be lovely to be published and even lovelier to earn a living from writing, but it does not seem overly plausible; meanwhile, so long as it's indoor work with no heavy lifting, internet access, and I get to go home at 5 every evening, I'll pretty much do any job people will give me.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Suilan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »
It's called "work" because people pay you for it

Thanks for teaching me a new word. Work. I should really try and memorize it.
Style and structure are the essence of a book; great ideas are hogwash. -- Vladimir Nabokov

Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. Everything that can be said can be said clearly. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
Thanks for teaching me a new word. Work. I should really try and memorize it.

I did not intend this to come across as harshly as it seems to have read to you, and you have my apologies.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
It's called "work" because people pay you for it, if it were fun enough to do it anyway this wouldn;t happen. 

Or, as I heard it said on some radio station, "Let's face it - work sucks. If work were fun, they'd charge admission."
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.