The Dresden Files > DF Spoilers

WAG - Justine's not really pregnant

(1/2) > >>

g33k:
Like it says on the tin.

Maybe Nemesis forced Justine to lie to Thomas (I bet it's relatively-easy to spoof a pregnancy-test (but why would Thomas even think to distrust Justine, at that point???  So faking a test likely unneeded)), or even fooled Justine (I think there may be stages of Nemfection where the Infected don't even realize it).

Why do I suspect this?  Because WoJ has previously said "no more surprise relatives for Harry."  I'll have to go back to find the actual words of the WoJ; maybe he weaseled a loophole in.

But the alternatives -- her actually being pregnant, with the Doom of WoJ over that -- would (strongly) imply something tragic with Justine, somewhere during Twelve Months.  Which would honestly feel kinda gratuitous.

peterwiggin94:
There's a couple of good explanations here that I think undermine your theory. First, Jim changed his mind or only meant that Harry isn't getting any more children. He does have two of them counting Bonny and Harry does count her. Second, Justine did get pregnant and just cheated on Thomas. It would be relatively easy for her to do by Nemfecting her bodyguards and maybe having one them do it. She could have easily started the process right around Skin Game and conceived by Peace Talks (it's about 1-2 months between those two books). She could force Thomas into doing the mission right away so he couldn't reasonably ask for a paternity test by saying "Hey Thomas, I've been possessed. I've been skipping my birth control pills, taking medicine to help me ovulate, and poking holes in the condoms. Do what I say or I'll hurt your baby." I bet that would work on Thomas considering he accepts he's going to become a father in the first chapter of Peace Talks. 

Either way, there's a couple of ways to fit Justine's pregnancy in with the WOJ you mentioned and with the book canon.

g33k:

--- Quote from: peterwiggin94 on May 24, 2024, 09:30:28 PM --- ... First, Jim changed his mind or only meant that Harry isn't getting any more children. He does have two of them counting Bonny and Harry does count her ...
--- End quote ---

"Jim changed his mind" (or "Jim lied" -- he does sometimes, we know) is always a possibility; but if we count that one as probable, we might as well ignore all the WoJ's in all our WAGs.

I really should go track it down (but I'm not gonna, tonight), but I'm pretty sure the context was "all relatives" (not just "Harry's own kids").  The context was Jim having re-used the plot twist of "surprise! new relative!"
  so.
  many.
  times.
(i.e. Jim used it for all Harry's relatives), and Jim saying that was all of them, and there'd be no more surprise relatives.

--- Quote from: peterwiggin94 on May 24, 2024, 09:30:28 PM --- ... Second, Justine did get pregnant and just cheated on Thomas
I bet that would work on Thomas considering he accepts he's going to become a father in the first chapter of Peace Talks. 
--- End quote ---
I suppose that's possible, sure.

peterwiggin94:
That Justine had cheated was my immediate conclusion on finishing Battle Ground. The timing was just too perfect for me to accept that she had conceived from Thomas. It happens right after Harry becomes available for manipulation and Mab's knight. Before that, Harry was dead, in Winter, or on Demonreach and mostly out of reach.

Dina:
A baby for Thomas is not a "surprise relative" to Harry, is something relatively foreseeable. Yes, white vampire are not too fertile, but once Thomas and Justine began touching each other, a baby was an option.
I am pretty sure that WoJ was after Harry finding about his daughter and that Eb was his grandfather (and he had already found Thomas was his brother), so WoJ meant we were not going to find another brother for Harry (someone named him Dick, for "every Tom, Dick and Harry...), or Maggie LeFay long lost sister. But of course I may be wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version