Other Jimness > Cinder Spires Spoilers

Olympian Affair (Spoilers All)

(1/4) > >>

Con:
Don't read further if you haven't read it yet.

So the map at the beginning is one of central and eastern United States with various Spires dotted around.

Cavendish describes modern society as being in destroyed by what appears to be a Nuclear apocalypse which explains the mutated surface world.

But apparently humanity might have been trying to destroy 'The Enemy. Tyranima. 10 000 years ago according to an archangel the Primearch converses with.

So confirmation that it's in a future version of our world.

In terms of pacing it was build up for the first 70% the final 30% felt a bit compacted.

We also learned a lot more about the other Spires. Atlantean's are ruled by Etherialists and are quite colorful. Pikes are semi-nomadic pirates who live on their ships. Olympia have powerful merchant fleet but little military. The Dolasians they're a confederacy or federation of some sort.

Nothing on Kissam or Jerezzi other than where they are on the map.

Finally got a look at a Mistmaw.

We learned what happened to get Grimm drummed out of the fleet. That part was a little disappointing sort of just explained in a page or two of monologue, but the way it was described I think Jim initially wanted to write it as a novella.

Bayard didn't get that tuxedo cat we were promised? Jim just decided not to?

Snark Knight:
That map wasn't what I'd pictured.  Weird that Albion is so British-influenced when the positioning looks like it's actually named for being on the site of Albany NY. 

Jereezi = New Jersey
Atlanta = actually Atlanta
Aurora = just about Chicago?
Dalos = Dallas
Pike = Pike's Peak CO?

Not sure about Olympia, Dependence or Kissam

Also weird that Dependence would have been a colony spire of Albion, on the other side of Auroran airspace.  Real questionable move to put a lightly defended outpost on the far side of the enemy capital.

Con:
Hadn't made those connections well done.

Although I thought the same thing about Dependence.

Makes you wonder what happened to whittle down the Spire's to those half dozen powers.

Also what about the rest of the world?

My theory on Olympia being based on Australia is out the window but I do love the Pikes. They seem fun warrior nomads and all.

matrim55:
When Ferrus told Folly not to become friendless like her mother.

Her mother is clearly Cavendash???

Also, we have any speculations on who the angels might be?

medaron:
Kissimmee Florida is Kissam

Dependence is Independence, MO

Also, Aurora’s flag is the same flag as Chicago has now. And Aurora, IL is about 60 minutes WSW of Chicago.

I like that Chicago was a headquarters for good in the Dresden files and is now the main source of antagonists here. Nice symmetry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version