Author Topic: Uriel's Seven Words, So Who is the Liar?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Uriel's Seven Words, So Who is the Liar?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2023, 06:22:24 PM »
Even when I agree with you, Vin, I disagree with Uriel not being allowed to counter Mab. I believe that the strict rules constraining Uriel are only related with demonic things. Angels vs demons. I admit it would be not polite for Uriel to affect Mab's plans and it could cause other problems, but the strict rules that completely prevent Uriel from interfering are against demons and demon-related things.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2023, 07:41:21 PM »
... But Uriel was not speaking to counter Mab. He's not allowed to! His seven words are a direct counter to Lasciel's lie that made Harry lose hope and commit suicide. If Lasciel hadn't spoken to Harry in Changes, and he still came up with the Kincaid plan, Uriel wouldn't have been allowed to speak his seven words. Because he's Uriel, the words he chose also had the best possible effect toward bolstering Harry's resolve against Mab's control. And the Harry they get from it is better for both Mab's and Uriel's purposes.

I'm gonna go back to Ghost Story (which I don't have to hand, at the moment; so I'll need to paraphrase)...

After all the central "action" is over, and Harry's going through his "debriefing" with Uriel (but before he wakes up in Mab's lap), Harry says to the Archangel something snarky about how Uriel "always just deals with issues one at a time, lined up and separate, never taking two birds with one stone" (meaning, of course, the exact opposite -- that Harry absolutely does NOT think Uriel works that way... likely often takes many birds with one stone (not merely two, as an aspirational mortal might)).

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2023, 12:10:03 AM »
Even when I agree with you, Vin, I disagree with Uriel not being allowed to counter Mab. I believe that the strict rules constraining Uriel are only related with demonic things. Angels vs demons. I admit it would be not polite for Uriel to affect Mab's plans and it could cause other problems, but the strict rules that completely prevent Uriel from interfering are against demons and demon-related things.
they can only act when their counters act first... Makes it pretty easy to save up activities when demons/fallen are all about breaking the rules 👀
In the grand design, I doubt that's coincidence really. In fact, it's a much more black and white balance and interplay found in the fae courts I'd say. An just as we missed the original point of Winter, I think Demons have a particular purpose, if an unsavory one.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
I'm gonna go back to Ghost Story (which I don't have to hand, at the moment; so I'll need to paraphrase)...

After all the central "action" is over, and Harry's going through his "debriefing" with Uriel (but before he wakes up in Mab's lap), Harry says to the Archangel something snarky about how Uriel "always just deals with issues one at a time, lined up and separate, never taking two birds with one stone" (meaning, of course, the exact opposite -- that Harry absolutely does NOT think Uriel works that way... likely often takes many birds with one stone (not merely two, as an aspirational mortal might)).

I recently reread that passage, and I think when Harry said that to Uriel he was being sarcastic, as in Uriel does often kill two birds with one stone.  Actually it does make sense that he does given his job among the archangels.  So when he said his seven words, yes, Uriel was countering and was allowed to say them because of Lasciel, which enabled him to counter what Mab said, which endangered Harry's free will, at the same time, thus killing two birds with one stone.