Author Topic: Q&A Fantasyfestival 2023 in Esbjerg/Denmark  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A Fantasyfestival 2023 in Esbjerg/Denmark
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »
Rudolph would both lie and be a noncredible witness.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2023, 12:37:20 PM »
Rudolph would both lie and be a noncredible witness.

He is a police officer, his word has weight.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

He committed manslaughter and was turned in by a fellow police officer. His word has therefore zero weight with the authorities.

Also, how much "space" Murphys return would take up is highly mutable. I'd happily give up all the space Dresden dating Lara will fill.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »

Normally, that would be true but at this particular trial, Rudolph would be in trouble.

Harry would have Bradley's testimony about Rudolph's antipathy to Harry, his poor gun and trigger discipline and his erratic behavior during the night.

When Harry has his credibility questioned, he can point to his long-time association to as a consultant to the CPD, his active PI license and can demonstrate his ability as a wizard.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »
Of course Murphy returning from the dead would exonerate Rudy, but leave him in a precarious mental state.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2023, 04:02:36 PM »
Problem, she bled out in Harry's arms and Rudolph knew he shot her and watched her die.. No, not as simple as you might think...
Strictly from the standpoint of mortal law (not considering anything about Odin's einherjaren, or Uriel's Spooky-Squad, the "Laws of Magic," or other supernatural Beings or strictures) Rudy won't testify about those events -- he shot and killed her, his own testimony would put him in jail for years.  Rudy needs to keep those events as far from official attention as he can!

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2023, 04:22:46 PM »
Garble gook!

No; the magical through-line is there (at least, hypothetically; if Jim wants to write it that way).

Uriel can & does send spirits of the departed back to the real world.
Odin can & does bring dead spirits back to life in einherjaren bodies.

Each of them has specific -- but different -- restrictions on how & when they do so.

It wouldn't be the first time one of the Powers slipped a "fast one" over the rules, with a shrug and a phlegmatic "Mortals! Whatcha gonna do?!...<wink>"

« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 04:24:24 PM by g33k »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2023, 06:55:13 PM »
No Uriel has capacity to send spirits to the inbetween space ColinMurphy and Co inhabited, Harry never died so technically wasn’t sent back as a spirit.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2023, 10:13:11 PM »
No Uriel has capacity to send spirits to the inbetween space ColinMurphy and Co inhabited ...
I don't think he "sends" the Colin Murphy's &c there.
He just organizes some of them who are there (who are essentially good souls, but who aren't ready for "what's next").

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2023, 05:19:32 AM »
I don't think he "sends" the Colin Murphy's &c there.
He just organizes some of them who are there (who are essentially good souls, but who aren't ready for "what's next").

Angelic loop hole? 

I don't think we've seen the last of Rudolph.  I also don't think that any trial will be either that simple or that straight forward simply because both sides, i.e. the supernatural world and the vanilla muggle world want to put that genie back in it's bottle.. Which means a lot of testimony won't be allowed or changed.. Not to mention the fact that Harry no longer has the White Council at his back anymore, and they will have their fingers in the jury pool as well.  Don't get me wrong, I think Harry will come out okay, he usually does, but it will be messy.  There is also a reason why Jim wrote that short story, "The Law."

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2023, 07:02:43 AM »
I mean, Murphy is a devout (or maybe a bit lapsed, due to events of the last years?) catholic, you'd think Uriel would at least have a word with Odin about having snatched her up for his version of the afterlife.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »
She’s a former Fist of God, even if for one knight only, so she deserves some aftercare from Uriel.

Thinking about it one of Odin’s Valkyries “chose” a Knight before, Michael for Michael to survive the choosing because of Harry’s intervention, so there is a precedent Harry was one of Uriels agents as well having Soulfire himself at the time. Was Michael destined to be an Einenjharen until Harry intervened? Is there a special phalanx of Einenjharen we haven’t t seen yet who were former Knights? If so do the same rules apply to them?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2023, 01:50:33 PM »
She’s a former Fist of God, even if for one knight only, so she deserves some aftercare from Uriel.

Thinking about it one of Odin’s Valkyries “chose” a Knight before, Michael for Michael to survive the choosing because of Harry’s intervention, so there is a precedent Harry was one of Uriels agents as well having Soulfire himself at the time. Was Michael destined to be an Einenjharen until Harry intervened? Is there a special phalanx of Einenjharen we haven’t t seen yet who were former Knights? If so do the same rules apply to them?

I don't think so, the Einenjharen we've seen, those who worked for Marcone don't seem to have much connection or any connection to the friends and family they had in life.  Very painful I must say if any of the living remembered them when they were alive... Hence the rule, they cannot return until they are passed all living memory.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »
... I don't think we've seen the last of Rudolph.  I also don't think that any trial will be either that simple or that straight forward simply because both sides, i.e. the supernatural world and the vanilla muggle world want to put that genie back in it's bottle.. Which means a lot of testimony won't be allowed or changed...
I don't think we've seen the last of Rudolph, either.
But I think he's going to continue to be a low-grade asshat.

There won't be a trial.  There probably won't even be any formal charges.

I think Harry was the only witness, and I don't think he's going to file a police report on the incident.  No body.

I expect Murphy is only one of thousands from that night who officially are "Missing Persons" (without even a "presumed dead," because the gov't officially isn't admitting there was an assault by monsters, some of whom simply ate dead bodies).

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2023, 05:49:00 AM »
I think Harry was the only witness, and I don't think he's going to file a police report on the incident.  No body.

Uh, Bradley was there, too. And he already told Harry that Rudolph would face justice.

I don't think so, the Einenjharen we've seen, those who worked for Marcone don't seem to have much connection or any connection to the friends and family they had in life.  Very painful I must say if any of the living remembered them when they were alive... Hence the rule, they cannot return until they are passed all living memory.

Well, those Einherjar already passed through that whole "until they have passed out of living memory" thing, so no wonder they have no big connection to their old families. Murphy just died and was brought back and I would say a lot of special rules apply to her. Lover of a big ally of Odin, former wielder of a holy sword and therefore in the good graces of the Archangel Uriel and his boss. Also, she's Murphy.