Author Topic: Why didn't Drakul kill.....  (Read 6216 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't Drakul kill.....
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »
I still think the chance is greater that he retained all of the Word.  It isn't like Harry didn't already have existing talent, powerful talent, and as a star born to boot, I think he does retain all of the Word.. And knows how to use it.  Consider this when Lash translated the Word for Harry, she wasn't dealing with a blank slate like she was when she translated Ghoul for him.  Harry would have already understood all of the concepts, most likely knew them already save for the forbidden bits.
It depends how complex and specific the necromantic/ectomantic/etc arts are, and how much they overlap other branches of magic.  Certainly EvilBob took Harry completely by surprise; the spell sort of "crept up" on Harry, and he didn't recognize it; Harry does recognize most magic, had (for example) been able to detect Entropy Curses as they approached, even (to an extent) manipulate them.

I think the term "the True Art" was used, implying a scope to Necromancy that Harry's training won't have covered.

I go back to the text, where Harry and the Shadow had about "an hour" (subjectively) to discuss the entirety of TWoK.

I don't think that's enough:  just discussing the Darkhallow, ways and means to disrupt it, the risks and threats, etc... the scope of that threat is save-thousands-of-lives / stop-a-dark-god level of discussion, and you just don't cut corners with that sort of thing!  So, a full tactical/strategic briefing.  I'm pretty sure that's most of the hour, right there.

Because it was in German, needing Lash's translation, there's not really any chance Harry "retained" anything she didn't discuss with him.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2023, 03:46:54 AM »
It depends how complex and specific the necromantic/ectomantic/etc arts are, and how much they overlap other branches of magic.  Certainly EvilBob took Harry completely by surprise; the spell sort of "crept up" on Harry, and he didn't recognize it; Harry does recognize most magic, had (for example) been able to detect Entropy Curses as they approached, even (to an extent) manipulate them.

I don't think it is all that significant that "Evil Bob" would take Harry by surprise.  When Justin stole him, Harry was still a boy, he wasn't allowed around Bob all that much, and by the time he came into Harry's hands he had shut that part of himself off.  In point of fact Harry was mostly ignorant about Bob when he was in Kemmler's hands, except that he had once belonged to Kemmler.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 02:27:43 AM »
  I still think the chance is greater that he retained all of the Word.  It isn't like Harry didn't already have existing talent, powerful talent, and as a star born to boot, I think he does retain all of the Word.. And knows how to use it.  Consider this when Lash translated the Word for Harry, she wasn't dealing with a blank slate like she was when she translated Ghoul for him.  Harry would have already understood all of the concepts, most likely knew them already save for the forbidden bits.

memorizing a book is HARD, and takes time... this is likely one of those things if you do not have EVERYTHING right to the nth degree it can go boom on you. If, say, someone hits you with a staff. Or that circle they used on the Archive. Harry was in awe of that one.. but knew how to break it.

I think he retains a lot, but likely not enough to DO it. Maybe if someone who knew ALMOST everything read it thru once they could do it. It would fill in gaps. But Harry is not that person.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2023, 06:43:55 PM »
memorizing a book is HARD, and takes time... this is likely one of those things if you do not have EVERYTHING right to the nth degree it can go boom on you. If, say, someone hits you with a staff. Or that circle they used on the Archive. Harry was in awe of that one.. but knew how to break it.

I don't think Harry needed to memorize it, as a wizard he no doubt already knows most of the principles, he is just forbidden to do them.  It is like if you understand calculus then read a book on calculus, you don't have to memorize the book to be able to do the calculus that is written in it.
I think he retains a lot, but likely not enough to DO it. Maybe if someone who knew ALMOST everything read it thru once they could do it. It would fill in gaps. But Harry is not that person.

Not so sure about that, Harry has shown that he learns very quickly when motivated.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2023, 03:00:24 AM »
... I don't think Harry needed to memorize it, as a wizard he no doubt already knows most of the principles, he is just forbidden to do them...
I don't think necromancy is "just another branch of magic" that works on the same principles as other branches.  Kemmlerites call it "the True Art," with the implication that it's different from other magical arts (that may just be them being nutjob-fanatics, of course).

But I keep going back to how Harry has repeatedly been able to "feel" magic.  At SPLATTERCON!!!, when the lights went out, Harry could feel a source of magic, and navigated to the Hammerhands-summoning.  In Blood Rites, Harry can feel Entropy Curses nearby, and even interact with them, a bit.  He can feel ley-lines.  Those aren't the only instances, either.

And yet, Evil Bob completely blindsides Harry, who (uncharacteristically) doesn't "feel" that magic.

I conclude there is something fundamentally different about that "style" of magic.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2023, 05:16:50 AM »
  I don't think Harry needed to memorize it, as a wizard he no doubt already knows most of the principles, he is just forbidden to do them.  It is like if you understand calculus then read a book on calculus, you don't have to memorize the book to be able to do the calculus that is written in it.

Knowing first year calc is not going to get you higher differentials quickly. This is the highest level of the stuff. Getting it 95% right might get you 100% dead. 

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »
Evil Bob got the drop on Harry because Harry trusted him. He wouldn't have been as nonchalant about a different spirit.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2023, 11:44:57 AM »
Evil Bob got the drop on Harry because Harry trusted him. He wouldn't have been as nonchalant about a different spirit.

Because Harry trusted Bob, and he had no idea as to how evil the spirit was when he was in Kemmler's possession.  Actually I don't think "Evil Bob" is a proper name for him, the spirit only
became "Bob" when Harry named him.  Bob never explained to Harry how evil his former self was, he tried to warn him when Harry wanted information, but Harry insisted.  Then when the spirit nearly killed him, Harry gave Bob strict orders to never bring that side of him forth again.  It all frightened Bob, both his evil side and the fact he almost killed his good master, so he separated him from himself to the point where another entity was in effect born, who we now know as Evil Bob.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 04:46:47 AM by Mira »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2023, 11:48:38 PM »
...  Actually I don't think "Evil Bob" is a proper name for him, the spirit only ...
"Old Blue Eyes" it is, then!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2023, 04:43:59 AM »
"Old Blue Eyes" it is, then!

That will work.. ;)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2023, 04:07:18 PM »
That will work.. ;)   

That whole villain-POV arrogance... "I did it my way" &c.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2023, 07:05:13 PM »
That whole villain-POV arrogance... "I did it my way" &c.

Ain't it the truth.... ::)