The Dresden Files > DF Books

Am I the only one that doesn't like the way Dresden is going.

<< < (3/4) > >>

The_Sibelis:
Eh, I understand. It's the same as missing the monster of the week on supernatural. You get lost in the bigger storylines and it feels different without it. Honestly could read random "files" like that forever. But on the other hand, I am really caught up in and liking where the DF is headed. It's not directionless, there's a destination for sure. It's just gonna get a lil bumpy along the road. Course, I liked GS and the silmarillion is my favorite LOTR so 🤷‍♂️ take that as is lol.

Dina:
The Silmarillion is my favorite LOTR too (disclaimer: I have not read the Hobbit). There are parts I actively dislike, but the parts that I like, I loved  :)

g33k:

--- Quote from: angus on March 22, 2023, 12:57:12 PM ---... I don't like 'only one person can save humanity' stories and that's what the series is turning into ...
--- End quote ---
That direction has been clear ever since Hagrid showed up saying, "Yer a Starborn, Harry!"
Wait, have I confused 2 plotlines?   :o    Hmmm.
Orphaned
Wizard
Misunderstood
Rebel
In over his head
Trying to figure stuff out that his elders could just tell him.

Nope, right story!   ;)

--- Quote from: angus on March 22, 2023, 12:57:12 PM ---I also feel that characters have been made to do things for plot purposes rather than because these actions spring from their developed characters. Marcone, Ramirez, Eb. Their characters are all being changed and distorted just so Harry can be misunderstood and alone.  Not my cup of tea.
--- End quote ---
Harry was convinced that Marcone was too much "his own man" & taking a Denarius too much a threat to that; but maybe Marcone doesn't realize the scale of the threat, evaluated the risk differently.  Or maybe our Unreliable Narrator was unusually unreliable here.

I still hold out hope for Ramirez.  He has understood for a long time that Harry was going to be working "undercover" with the murkier elements, trying to work his way to the Black Council, while Ramirez was going to be working the "White Council" side of things.  Ramirez' actions since then *could* just be an act, for the benefit of keen eyes watching them... it's just, Harry is too caught up in his Warden-Persecution-Complex to realize it, and so he's feeling all emo & genuinely betrayed.

Eb was a pretty shallowly-portrayed character, before.  I think what we're seeing now is entirely within the scope of what might have been there before (just not in the spotlight).

The_Sibelis:
Mmm so on the topic of Ramirez (click to show/hide) pretty sure he's been tampered with. Why? Mainly because of the distortions of memory coming from PT. Comparing to Thomas and his torture at Shagnasty's hands that mysteriously just stopped being a thing. Or the possible TT shenanigans all over PG changing Molly's ultimate fate. I think this shows direct meddling in the timeline, by future/alt Harry to save specific people from their particular fates. and definitely agree with you on EB, he's been carrying the black staff for at least a century now. It might be insulation from being directly corrupted by dark magic, but he's still been USING this thing by his own choices. It's changed him in the same way classical magic does. More of what you are/choose.

--- Quote from: Dina on June 08, 2023, 11:14:08 PM ---The Silmarillion is my favorite LOTR too (disclaimer: I have not read the Hobbit). There are parts I actively dislike, but the parts that I like, I loved  :)

--- End quote ---
I just had sooo many questions after LOTR I had to check it out. While I find Tolkien's method of describing all things like a rich and important tapestry annoying when applied to things like mountain scenery. History and lore it does quite well with.

Dina:

--- Quote from: The_Sibelis on June 23, 2023, 09:30:12 AM ---I just had sooo many questions after LOTR I had to check it out. While I find Tolkien's method of describing all things like a rich and important tapestry annoying when applied to things like mountain scenery. History and lore it does quite well with.

--- End quote ---
Exactly! *high five*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version