Author Topic: Star Born (direct quotes compilation)  (Read 20389 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Star Born (direct quotes compilation)
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
What makes you think he's lying? I am curious on what that might be. Good to hang on to such feelings as it's often a good way of spotting a hint.

I seem to remember Margaret went on the run for two years, as you say, and in that time Harry was born. I think Ebenezar tells Harry this. I think she didn't meet Malcolm during this time, but rather at the start, given that's what I believe what gave her the strength to escape. Falling in love does crazy things to people after all.

DC is a reasonable spot as any if the location for the conjunction Light is the most if not all of the USA. But I do suspect it might be a bit smaller than that (i.e. the size of a city). DC could be the place of conception though...I doubt even Jim has the answer to that right now (if it ever becomes relevant). I think it would have to be only the size of a city, maybe smaller, given the amount of star borns.
Butcher lies via obfuscation.  For instance he's been telling you in bits and pieces what it is that Harry is. He's a nuclear bomb if you will.  In Changes everybody just believes that the Red's curse did the deed, except The Merlin.  He called the dance back in Scotland.
“No,” Langtry said. “So they never knew it was coming. Period. We will no longer wage a war with that filth, cold, hot, or otherwise. We’re going to destroy them, root and branch.” He lifted his chin slightly as his voice turned to frost. “We’re going to exterminate them.”
So this is how Butcher lies. He does this kind of thing a lot so my working assumption is that he lying whenever his lips are moving.

One thing that I'm not buying on any level is that Malcolm was just Malcolm.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2022, 04:15:50 PM »
Even if there are 50k special parents give or take, that doesn't address Margaret choosing to be a part of some plot.

Sure it does, we are talking "potential."  To put it another way, thousands of babies are born every minute, all have potential, but to reach it takes something more.  It is clear that when Margaret met Malcolm she chose a different path, and then she chose and he agreed to conceive a star child.  What we've seen of star children so far and what it looks like Justin was after, star children are not exactly nice.. The series is also about the importance of "balance" as well as "choices."  It looks like Harry is that balance, he isn't perfect and he has made some poor choices, but most of the time he tries to do the right thing,  it's on his tombstone. 
But Harry's choices don't make him intrinsically special any more than any other individuals choices. He's more special than the average human both because he is a wizard and because he is a star born, and perhaps because of some chosen one thing, and his choices have intensified this. But they don't make him a "special" star born. He doesn't have attributes beyond any of the others as far as we know. He has displayed the regular powers of star born i.e. resisting the power of the Outside and being able to hurt the Outsiders.

Sure it does, Harry is special and set apart, he resisted a Shadow of one of the Fallen, he is Custodian of the Holy Swords, it is a privilege given to him to know who and who shouldn't be
a Holy Knight be it for a minute or for life when needed.  Something you just cannot declare for yourself even if you happen to have the Swords as Murphy found out.  He has Soul Fire, this sets him apart, he passed the exam that Hades set up and now has possession of the Holy Relics/weapons, he passed the exam at the island and now is Warden.. He is a whole lot more than a wizard with power to resist Outsiders, he was meant to be a whole lot more, this is hinted at all through the series. 
We don't know how a normal star born would behave as Harry is the benchmark, and we've only met two confirmed star born (possibly three). I don't see a difference between how bad star born act and how bad individuals act.

For starters, I don't think there is such a thing as "a normal" star born.  We know how Drakul and Listens act, bad is bad, Harry is mostly a good person, so what are you trying to say? Nothing special about star born except the Outsider bit that most will never know about because they are just normal people?  So what is the point of making it such a big deal in the series? 

Shiro would have sacrificed himself for the lowest person on the planet. He is just that good of a person. Harry's star born nature had nothing to do with it, and I don't remember Shiro knowing a thing about it. Even if he did, I doubt that played into it whatsoever. That's what being a Knight of the Cross really means.

Yes, he would, but there is more to it than that.. Page 337 Death Masks..

Harry says it should have been him instead of Shiro, but dying Shiro tells him;

"No," Shiro said. "There is much you do not understand." He coughed, and pain flashed over his face.  "You will."
Then he handed over his Sword to Harry to take care of.. A whole lot more Harry doesn't understand even yet.. Harry is special.
You also haven't addressed when Harry became a star born. When do you propose this happened?

When he was conceived and born alive..  It isn't about that it is about the special mix of genes! Malcolm is the key, this is what motivated Margaret to have a child by him and he agreed.. They both tell Harry it is unfair the responsibility and trouble they put upon him by conceiving him.  We are repeatedly told all though the series that for the most part Harry inherited his father's good nature and good heart..  This is the difference that Margaret was looking for in her star born, this is what sets Harry apart from the likes of Drakul and Listens.
Yes, I agree to a point, though I think Malcolm was just a vanilla human, but some of them are saints.. If Malcolm wasn't, he came very close to being one.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2022, 10:04:08 PM »
Malcolm was just human, that is to say just the best distilled of all human qualities that makes a Father Forthill, a Nick Angel virtual living saints or a Knight, he is a champion of humanity, free will and the White God, just by being him. That makes him incredibly rare, a human being with only the positive virtues and not the negative vices of humanity, which was why he was such a breath of fresh air to Margaret dealing with a White Council very much steeped in humanity’s vices.

Harry is not that, he has anger aplenty, but kindness, love etc in greater or equal measure, as a Starborn he can turn either way, but he has been lucky in the people he has sought or received guidance from or who have been there at time of crisis. His father an enduring influence, Nick Angel after coming to Chicago, then Murphy, then Michael and Father Forthill, Shiro, Sanya, Butters.

Chicago has a population of 2.7 million, Chicagoland larger 9.5 millionit has produced Malcolm Dresden, Father Forthill, Michael Carpenter, Karin Murphy and Waldo Butters

If you think about it the odds are better than one in a million.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »
Finding Malcolm while Margaret is on the run is  like finding a 3 pound gold nugget in a pile of random sand. I don't believe it.  It assaults my sense of how stories are constructed. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2022, 12:03:55 AM »
Finding Malcolm while Margaret is on the run is  like finding a 3 pound gold nugget in a pile of random sand. I don't believe it.  It assaults my sense of how stories are constructed.

I tend to agree with that..  The series is about balance as much as anything else. Heaven decided that the so called "good guys" needed a star born of their own to balance out the likes of Drakul and Listen.

How else do you explain a female wizard on the White Council's most wanted list for the chop? Who Hell according to Chauncy was getting a room ready for her, who Mr Grey described as a "piece of work," who was living with and had a child by a vampire, would even meet by chance,let alone fall so in love with a man so pure and good that she'd completely turn her life on it's ear.  What is more, run off with this man, have a child by him knowing full well that it most likely cost her life?  I also think it may have something to do with her death curse getting through when others didn't.. Hmm.. Wonder if Lea and Mab had something to do with that?   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 03:12:15 PM by Mira »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2022, 01:35:06 AM »
Nope Margaret figured curses etc weren’t working against Raith when targeted directly at him, she made her death curse surround him instead and anchored it in the blood of her children to keep it going to have time to work. That’s why STARVE, it wasn’t cruelty, it was the only way it would work to kill him.

I wonder in Next Book whether Papa Raith will still be around, he isn’t needed due to the alliance with Mab any longer to support Lara’s power.

Finding Malcolm was a boon for Margaret, but it could have as easily been Father Forthill Nick Angel. The White God is a big believer in Free Will, and will only intervene in the most indirect of ways. Therefore whilst TWG may have put Malcom in Margaret’s way, to have Harry was her decision. TWG only created the possibility of a Harry Dresden Starborn, that Malcolm just by being who he is convinced her that humanity needed a champion, that it should not just fall prey to the monsters and the end of time and she made that decision even knowing it would cost her life.

Mab came along later, Lea had already cut her own deal with Margaret, for the future Maggie and wasn’t interested in a  Starborn. Although TWG is working with Mab, Odin and Hades, and has been for some time, they are not mortals and TWG doesn’t care about THEIR free will. Mab is constrained by the laws of Winter, Odin gave up his immortality to stay in the mortal world and Hades is restricted to the Never Never. Harry as a mortal is allowed to exercise free will for good or bad, and the battle inside his head is perhaps more important than the ones going on outside of it in the real world. Butters and Sanya were not in Chicago to defeat Ethnui, they were there to help Harry make a decision not to kill Rudy, not to become the monster he secretly feared.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2022, 05:08:01 AM »
I think Butcher showed you how she attacked Raith and I'm pretty sure he told you who showed her how.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2022, 11:44:50 AM »
Nope Margaret figured curses etc weren’t working against Raith when targeted directly at him, she made her death curse surround him instead and anchored it in the blood of her children to keep it going to have time to work. That’s why STARVE, it wasn’t cruelty, it was the only way it would work to kill him.

Thank you for proving my point!  You just underlined the fact that she had to think and work out what would work against Raith.  That is something not done on the fly, as in the moment you are dying, it takes planning.  I say she did have help from Mab or Lea or both in this, who in all of the
series showed they can control a vampire?  I seem to recall Lea being able to shut that aspect of Susan off. 

Harry's birth was planned out by Margaret, she tells Harry;  page172 Blood Rites paperback,
"I as so arrogant.  I laid too great a burden upon you to bear alone. I hope you will forgive my mistake. But know that I am proud of what you have become."

His birth was no accident of just happening to be born at the right time in the right place.. Maybe that is true for 49,999 of the other babies born in that moment, but Harry's mother had a plan in place for him, it was no accident.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »
Margaret had the opportunity to examine Raith up close for a good period of time, and no doubt witnessed at least one major magical attack on him (for example Eb’s visit) slowing her to figure out how it was working. That doesn’t mean she needed Lea or Mab’s help, she easily could have done this on her own. What Lea did was shield Margaret from being located (not just by Raith) and protect her from harm until Harry was born.

I always thought Elaine cut a similar deal with Summer, in her case until the child reached its full majority, 21. Jim has said there is no third child, but things come in threes and Jim lies. Elaine has kept her distance from Harry for perhaps a good reason and any such child would have hit 22 by Battle Ground.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
Quote from: Blood Rites
The Hunger hissed more words at Thomas. "What is it saying?" I asked.

"It's telling him to give up. That there's no point in fighting anymore. That it will never leave him in peace."
Quote from: Changes
“I lulled their predator spirit to sleep,” she said calmly. “Poor lambs. They didn’t realize how much strength they drew from it. Mayhap this will prove a useful lesson.”
That pretty much covers it for me although your mileage may very. Margaret attacked Raith though Thomas's link to his demon. She can hear him speaking.  She either came to it independently or she learned from the Fey.

I think this provides a hint as to how Harry will free Thomas from his Demon.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2022, 07:12:19 AM »
Butcher lies via obfuscation.  For instance he's been telling you in bits and pieces what it is that Harry is. He's a nuclear bomb if you will.  In Changes everybody just believes that the Red's curse did the deed, except The Merlin.  He called the dance back in Scotland.

So this is how Butcher lies. He does this kind of thing a lot so my working assumption is that he lying whenever his lips are moving.

I'm confused. Didn't the Reds curse wipe out the Red Court? Didn't Harry just aim their weapon back at them and fire it?

I think that's true in some respects, but I would argue Jim (especially in his earlier interviews) gave away a lot more than he intended to.

Fair enough. I don't see it myself but it's your theory to play with. I would say though I think Malcolm became something more than he was, I think the hint for this is when he enters Harry's dream to have a conversation. But I don't know what and I don't think it's clear yet.

I get why you might think like that but I believe it misses the point of Malcolm's character i.e. that he is a vehicle for Jim's own thoughts about his own father (read some of the things he says about his own father and you'll see - not that he does speak much about him publicly). This is also clear in that Dresden was built on Jim's own personality originally, so it's natural his father shares similarities with Butcher's. Beyond that, I think the character is meant to showcase (just as Michael is) a really good person. Sometimes what's special about a character (particularly in fantasy) is how good they are of a person despite not having any real power (especially in the magic sense). Think Garrow in Eragon or Sam in LOTR (more to the point - hobbits in general) or Jonathan Kent (Superman's adoptive father) or perhaps most classically Uncle Ben (and to some degree, Aunt May).

The purpose of Malcolm in the narrative is to help explain where Dresden's values come from. They didn't come from Margaret (he never knew her). Justin warped and changed him but he was more than that before. Ebenezar did his best to undo Justin's damage and developed him further. But the original stuff (apart from his most core personality traits that perhaps come from his soul) is the work of Malcolm. Malcolm is one of Harry's best moral benchmarks.

Also, we don't know exactly when Margaret and Malcolm met. She could have bumped into him at the grocery store while still being with Raith, and then gone on the run. We don't have any facts. We only know that they ended up meeting and having a child together, only for Margaret to die during childbirth and Malcolm followed several years later.

Sure it does, we are talking "potential."  To put it another way, thousands of babies are born every minute, all have potential, but to reach it takes something more.  It is clear that when Margaret met Malcolm she chose a different path, and then she chose and he agreed to conceive a star child.  What we've seen of star children so far and what it looks like Justin was after, star children are not exactly nice.. The series is also about the importance of "balance" as well as "choices."  It looks like Harry is that balance, he isn't perfect and he has made some poor choices, but most of the time he tries to do the right thing,  it's on his tombstone. 

Sure it does, Harry is special and set apart, he resisted a Shadow of one of the Fallen, he is Custodian of the Holy Swords, it is a privilege given to him to know who and who shouldn't be
a Holy Knight be it for a minute or for life when needed.  Something you just cannot declare for yourself even if you happen to have the Swords as Murphy found out.  He has Soul Fire, this sets him apart, he passed the exam that Hades set up and now has possession of the Holy Relics/weapons, he passed the exam at the island and now is Warden.. He is a whole lot more than a wizard with power to resist Outsiders, he was meant to be a whole lot more, this is hinted at all through the series. 

For starters, I don't think there is such a thing as "a normal" star born.  We know how Drakul and Listens act, bad is bad, Harry is mostly a good person, so what are you trying to say? Nothing special about star born except the Outsider bit that most will never know about because they are just normal people?  So what is the point of making it such a big deal in the series? 

Yes, he would, but there is more to it than that.. Page 337 Death Masks..

Harry says it should have been him instead of Shiro, but dying Shiro tells him;
Then he handed over his Sword to Harry to take care of.. A whole lot more Harry doesn't understand even yet.. Harry is special.
When he was conceived and born alive..  It isn't about that it is about the special mix of genes! Malcolm is the key, this is what motivated Margaret to have a child by him and he agreed.. They both tell Harry it is unfair the responsibility and trouble they put upon him by conceiving him.  We are repeatedly told all though the series that for the most part Harry inherited his father's good nature and good heart..  This is the difference that Margaret was looking for in her star born, this is what sets Harry apart from the likes of Drakul and Listens. Yes, I agree to a point, though I think Malcolm was just a vanilla human, but some of them are saints.. If Malcolm wasn't, he came very close to being one.
Well that's not Jim's wording. His wording wasn't there were 50,000 potential star born this cycle originally. He said there were 50,000 star born. As in, they had already become star born. Whatever that truly means.

People aren't necessarily nice. I don't know that we can judge how nice star born are relative to most humans as we've only met Harry, Listen and Drakul (and possibly Rashid and Elaine). Drakul is clearly more than just star born, and both he and Rashid are from older cycles.

I didn't say Harry wasn't special. In fact, I said he was special relative to most humans. But he isn't special relative to most star born (at least from what we've seen). What's one instance of Harry doing something specifically star born related that no other star born can do? Each star born can resist Outsiders, and potentially have power over them (and perhaps more besides). Which is the point - we don't even know the extent or limits of regular star borns so it is literally impossible to know how much more special Harry's star born specific powers are relative to the base line star born, because we don't even have a baseline. All those hints about Harry being "so much more" are about his star born nature, not Harry being some sort of chosen one.

That's fair enough, if there weren't so many star born. Normal implies an average of some sort and with a large enough group there are bound to be certain shared characteristics. 50,000 in Harry's cycle, let alone all the star born that have ever existed (considering it has been going on since the start of Creation). Even with the variations between Outsiders we can still establish a baseline (and there are potentially an infinite amount of them with infinite combinations).

Is the evil that a human commits somehow not as evil as a monster? While Angels (and Fallen) are held to higher standards (by Heaven and presumably TWG), it's harder to say with the rest. Does having choice make an act more evil than a being that has no choice but to perform evil acts?

That said, star born could well have evil origins (which I have guessed at before) which could make them intrinsically more evil than most beings, and that would make Harry more special relative to his peers if he was unusual in how hard he works to fight his nature. But we don't know the real origins of star born. We don't know if they are more evil or not. We don't know if Harry is unusual in fighting against his inner nature or whether other star born fight too. We can only speculate.

The quote you provided about Shiro I believe is referencing Harry's star born nature, not a prophecy or a chosen one thing. Do you believe otherwise? That does seem to confirm that Shiro did know about Harry's true nature I would say (although how he knew and not the other Knights is interesting).

But was Shiro handing over Fidelacchius because of Harry's star born nature or because of some prophecy, or was it because of Harry's character and values? I think he entrusted them to Harry because he believed in Harry's judgement. But I could be wrong.

So we agree that Harry became star born when he was born in the Light. That makes sense to me. Which then says that Harry's conception doesn't play a major role beyond conception itself. You say it isn't about genes...and then say Malcolm is the key. Which is it? But we don't know that Margaret chose Malcolm, or that she even was the one to propose a child. Given that she was older than Malcolm significantly, I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't even considered it. We don't know anything about the circumstances of them meeting, or their decision to have a child.

Look, it's a fair theory that she chose Malcolm for his personality, but this assumes she knew she was going to have a star born child. Which we don't know that she knew. We don't know that she planned it at all. Even if she did intend for it, did Malcolm know before the conception? Which would be highly questionable, ethically speaking. Even if she did plan it, we don't have any evidence that the White Council or anyone else on the "good guys" wanted Harry to exist. She could just as easily have tried to take on her enemies alone.

What cost Margaret her life was running away from Lord Raith. He was a toxic, horrible monster who doesn't part with his "possessions". I wouldn't undersell her intelligence either. She was a intelligent and formidable wizard in her own right. She didn't require Mab or anyone else's help with her death curse, imo.

Malcolm was just human, that is to say just the best distilled of all human qualities that makes a Father Forthill, a Nick Angel virtual living saints or a Knight, he is a champion of humanity, free will and the White God, just by being him. That makes him incredibly rare, a human being with only the positive virtues and not the negative vices of humanity, which was why he was such a breath of fresh air to Margaret dealing with a White Council very much steeped in humanity’s vices.

Harry is not that, he has anger aplenty, but kindness, love etc in greater or equal measure, as a Starborn he can turn either way, but he has been lucky in the people he has sought or received guidance from or who have been there at time of crisis. His father an enduring influence, Nick Angel after coming to Chicago, then Murphy, then Michael and Father Forthill, Shiro, Sanya, Butters.

Chicago has a population of 2.7 million, Chicagoland larger 9.5 millionit has produced Malcolm Dresden, Father Forthill, Michael Carpenter, Karin Murphy and Waldo Butters

If you think about it the odds are better than one in a million.
I agree. Saints in the series are the result of ascensions, similar to becoming a god. Powerful beings indeed. The Catholic Church liked it until it became a problem for reasons unknown. I doubt Malcolm is a literal Saint. Otherwise, the bar has lowered considerably. Not to mention, that would imply that there are Saints humanity isn't aware of, unless there is a Saint Malcolm Dresden that I don't know about.

I wonder in Next Book whether Papa Raith will still be around, he isn’t needed due to the alliance with Mab any longer to support Lara’s power.

Finding Malcolm was a boon for Margaret, but it could have as easily been Father Forthill Nick Angel. The White God is a big believer in Free Will, and will only intervene in the most indirect of ways. Therefore whilst TWG may have put Malcom in Margaret’s way, to have Harry was her decision. TWG only created the possibility of a Harry Dresden Starborn, that Malcolm just by being who he is convinced her that humanity needed a champion, that it should not just fall prey to the monsters and the end of time and she made that decision even knowing it would cost her life.

Mab came along later, Lea had already cut her own deal with Margaret, for the future Maggie and wasn’t interested in a  Starborn. Although TWG is working with Mab, Odin and Hades, and has been for some time, they are not mortals and TWG doesn’t care about THEIR free will. Mab is constrained by the laws of Winter, Odin gave up his immortality to stay in the mortal world and Hades is restricted to the Never Never. Harry as a mortal is allowed to exercise free will for good or bad, and the battle inside his head is perhaps more important than the ones going on outside of it in the real world. Butters and Sanya were not in Chicago to defeat Ethnui, they were there to help Harry make a decision not to kill Rudy, not to become the monster he secretly feared.
Agree with all of this.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if some cruelty wasn't a part of her thinking.

Margaret had the opportunity to examine Raith up close for a good period of time, and no doubt witnessed at least one major magical attack on him (for example Eb’s visit) slowing her to figure out how it was working. That doesn’t mean she needed Lea or Mab’s help, she easily could have done this on her own. What Lea did was shield Margaret from being located (not just by Raith) and protect her from harm until Harry was born.

I always thought Elaine cut a similar deal with Summer, in her case until the child reached its full majority, 21. Jim has said there is no third child, but things come in threes and Jim lies. Elaine has kept her distance from Harry for perhaps a good reason and any such child would have hit 22 by Battle Ground.
Agreed, although did Eb attack Raith before he killed Maggie?

Not sure about the third child theory, but it's interesting.

That pretty much covers it for me although your mileage may very. Margaret attacked Raith though Thomas's link to his demon. She can hear him speaking.  She either came to it independently or she learned from the Fey.

I think this provides a hint as to how Harry will free Thomas from his Demon.
Why couldn't she attack Lord Raith's Hunger directly? Why would she need to go through Thomas?

Agreed, this is the hint on how to free Thomas...assuming Butcher ever wants that to happen.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2022, 10:29:26 AM »
But was Shiro handing over Fidelacchius because of Harry's star born nature or because of some prophecy, or was it because of Harry's character and values? I think he entrusted them to Harry because he believed in Harry's judgement. But I could be wrong.

When a Holy Knight says you were born for a reason, and there is much you don't understand yet
about that reason.  I'd pay attention..   And just why? Ask yourself that he would trust Harry's judgement to make him Custodian?  He had just met Harry when the crisis started.  Michael also handed his Sword over to Harry when the time came.  A matter of trusting judgement? I don't think so, Harry trusted Murphy's judgement, usually she has good judgement, even was a Holy Knight for a few hours, yet apparently she was no Custodian.
Look, it's a fair theory that she chose Malcolm for his personality, but this assumes she knew she was going to have a star born child. Which we don't know that she knew. We don't know that she planned it at all. Even if she did intend for it, did Malcolm know before the conception? Which would be highly questionable, ethically speaking. Even if she did plan it, we don't have any evidence that the White Council or anyone else on the "good guys" wanted Harry to exist. She could just as easily have tried to take on her enemies alone.

Again, when your mother who you never knew, who died in giving birth to you says;

"I as so arrogant.  I laid too great a burden upon you to bear alone.

She put the whammy on when conceiving him and planning something big for him, a burden that he has to bear alone.

And a Morriswalters points out, what were the odds that she'd meet a man like Malcolm, and even more that meeting him would have that kind of effect on her?  Jim, as pointed out writes stuff for a reason, the fact that Harry inherited Malcolm's good heart and nature is hammered on the page over and over again all through the series, I'd pay attention to that, it might be significant.

What Harry did to the Red Court is different from what Lea did.. Harry reversed a generational curse, which because all of the Red Court are related from the youngest to the eldest, killed them all.  Lea put the beastie to sleep..  Margaret by-passed Raith, and was able to stop his demon's ability to feed him.. Sounds simple enough, but you'd think if it was Eb would have figured it out so he could kill Raith... Hasn't happened. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 05:42:08 PM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2022, 05:44:44 PM »
@Yuillegan
I'm confused. Didn't the Reds curse wipe out the Red Court? Didn't Harry just aim their weapon back at them and fire it?
Sure. Butcher then inserts the datum that Harry lost two minutes when the curse was triggered.  Why do that?  There are moments when Butcher adds things that make no sense in context unless there is something going on that he both wants to expose and conceal.  Meaning he wants you to see the shadow but not the thing casting it.  In PG Butcher has Little Chicago broken.  The dominant question then becomes, who fixed it?  Heck, I've a WAG or three on that topic myself. But the complementary question is, why did he break it? Which I never hear asked.

So in the case of Changes you are meant to see the obvious, the curse kills all vampires. The complementary question is why was the curse so powerful as to cause nightmares of dying children and kill all Reds, everywhere?  And Butcher has called this out in WOJ's.  It got them all.
Why couldn't she attack Lord Raith's Hunger directly? Why would she need to go through Thomas?

Agreed, this is the hint on how to free Thomas...assuming Butcher ever wants that to happen.
There was nothing to attach the spell to.  In the text Harry describes it as,
And felt nothing. Not just empty air and drifting dust, but nothing. A cold and somehow hungry emptiness that filled the space where he should have been. I'd felt something like it before, when I'd been near a mote of one of the deadliest substances that any world of flesh or spirit had ever known. My power, my magic, the flowing spirit of life, just vanished into it without getting near Raith.
I take the metaphor of the hand extending out of the mirror in Blood Rites to mean that if it can reach out then Margaret realized she could reach in.  She, I believe, bound Raith's demon through Thomas.  His demon wasn't protected.
I get why you might think like that but I believe it misses the point of Malcolm's character i.e. that he is a vehicle for Jim's own thoughts about his own father (read some of the things he says about his own father and you'll see - not that he does speak much about him publicly).
Seems plausible, however he chose to make him a player from beyond death. Malcolm is so important that Uriel keeps him on tap when Harry needs a bucking up and Malcolm can guard Harry's dreams. Perhaps I'm just jackass stubborn.  It grates on me.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2022, 06:46:12 PM »
Seems plausible, however he chose to make him a player from beyond death. Malcolm is so important that Uriel keeps him on tap when Harry needs a bucking up and Malcolm can guard Harry's dreams. Perhaps I'm just jackass stubborn.  It grates on me.

You are so right, significant scene, when Harry dreams of Malcolm in front of a campfire in Death Masks.  paper back edition pages 114 -115 Oh yeah, there are things lurking in the woods at the edges, Harry is afraid and Malcolm gives him a line from Alice in Wonderland.

"So," I said.  "Why haven't I dreamed about you before?" "Because I wasn't allowed to contact you before. My father said easily.  "Not until others had crossed the line."
"Allowed?" I asked.  "What others? What line?"
Yup, and who is Dresden mainly up against in Death Mask? Denarians.. I'm guessing that Malcolm is held back because Harry has to be allowed to make his own choices.. But balance is an important theme in the series, the Denarians crossed the line, so Malcolm is allowed by Heaven to pay his son a visit. Malcolm tells Harry he isn't alone, to listen to his heart.. Yup again the "heart" theme, and who's good heart did Harry inherit? Malcolm's heart...

Finally an echo of what Margaret confessed to him, her arrogance in conceiving him and putting such a burden upon him that he must bare alone for the most part.. Malcolm parts with this..

"My boy.  There's so much still ahead of you." "So much?" I whispered.
"Pain.  Joy.  Love.  Death.  Heartache.  Terrible waters.  Despair.  Hope. I wish I could have been with you longer.  I wish I could have helped you prepare for it."
"For what?" I asked him.
Malcolm never answers, but he knows what is ahead for Harry, he knows what he and Margaret put upon him when they conceived him.  Oh yeah, he was no accident of birth.. One more thing Malcolm says, he will keep the campfire burning and Harry safe until morning.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:25 AM »
Apparently in WOJ in 2010, Justin DuMorne thought Elaine might be a Starborn like Harry.

This may suggest he didn’t have Elaine’s exact date and time of birth, but her apparent age and general background may have made him suspect this, whereas with Harry he definitely knew. But what if his suspicions were incorrect? Someone fudged things and placed Elaine as a candidate for Justin to find, as bait? One of the other players using a fake Starborn to find Harry (the real deal) when neither his grandfather nor Morgan could find him?

Could Elaine Mallory have been the Merlin’s plant? And he still lost her? It would explain why no one looked for her from the White Council, too many inconvenient questions would have arisen about the Merlin using a 10 year old girl as bait.

This theory allows Jim to lie/not lie and confuse the issue as to Starborn, which is exactly what it has done for the last 12 years.

Elaine’s medallion? Set dressing and perhaps a magical tracking device.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:24:26 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »