Author Topic: Titles Similar To TDF  (Read 1675 times)

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
Titles Similar To TDF
« on: January 20, 2022, 07:11:32 PM »
My friend wrote a book (TFFOE on Amazon) that has a similar feel as TDF, and I was wondering if anyone had any other books that follow the feel of Dresden's life?

"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Titles Similar To TDF
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:31:04 PM »
Just started The Quantum of Nightmare book 2 of the New Management, by Charles Stross, a contemporary Britain where superpowers and magic and elves and vampires have now come into their own now reality is endangered, with Britain’s Prime Minister the bloody elder god The Black Pharaoh, who still manages to be a better Prime Minister than Boris Johnson.

This one seems to have a bit of a Mary Poppins theme.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 12:45:07 AM »
Just started The Quantum of Nightmare book 2 of the New Management, by Charles Stross, a contemporary Britain where superpowers and magic and elves and vampires have now come into their own now reality is endangered, with Britain’s Prime Minister the bloody elder god The Black Pharaoh, who still manages to be a better Prime Minister than Boris Johnson.

This one seems to have a bit of a Mary Poppins theme.
My word, did this send me down a rabbit hole. I forgot how much I enjoy his works - I haven't read the Laundry Files in ages. Honestly really interesting. Also, Charles' website gives some really interesting writing and publishing information.

Also - low, low bar these days with Mr Johnson. Even his own party look like they want him out now.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:29:06 AM »
Just finished it. Yes this is a spin off series from the main Laundry files (we are promised a new entry later this year) this series is set in the same world, different cast of characters where CASE NIGHTMARE has come to pass and the Laundry considered the only way for survival of humanity was to adopt an Elder God and habituate him to society, so that he would want to protect something.

You have superheroes (and villains) rubbing shoulders with mystery cultists, mad scientists, sorcerers, elves, vampires and meat printer mechanics. Charlie’s Near future Supermarket under the New Management is an absolute thing of terror and horror Jim has never managed with the Dresden Files. His Muppets are much much worse than Renfield’s and the vanilla Mr Hewitt far far more terrifying than Mavra.

Also his T-Rex is offed by a Nanny dressed like Missy from Doctor Who. Sue wouldn’t have stood a chance against Mary.

The original series took the works of Le Carre, Deighton and Fleming classic spy fiction as a jump off point into urban fantasy with this series doing the same with classic children’s fantasy, the first book Peter Pan and the second Mary Poppins, so I would expect the Chronicles of Narnia, The Borrowers etc to appear as jump off points for story lines for future books.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 06:24:58 AM »

Oh why don't they go all out and do Lord of the Rings?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 08:34:46 AM »
Because it doesn’t take place in the ‘real’ world, the two books featured do and are technically urban fantasy, they both involved magical elements brought into what was a contemporary urban setting when they were written.

Givens Roberts powers and that there are four children I think we can expect  The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe to be added next, Mr Bigge posing as Aslan to escape his Neverland trap, using the children.

Roberts powers would technically allow for a canon Dresdenverse/Laundryverse Crossover, the Banks Children plus Maggie, Bonnie and Mouse. Both series are set in different but unstable branches of the Multiverse and if I remember correctly Harry has been referenced in the Laundryverse. A short story or Novella, I don’t think this would work for a longer format.

We have the found family of Imp and the family of the Banks, and I think that is the core group of characters going forward in this spin-off series, especially as they established a link between Gameboy and Robert, connecting the two families on a continuing basis.

We might also see some E.E Nesbitt action later on if the Banks have another child.

I can’t wait.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 12:45:24 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 04:42:22 AM »
To a lesser extent, Sniegoski's (sp?) Remy Chandler is a PI who is also an Angel. Not Fallen, but one who walked away after the Wars in Heaven. More like an officer who resigned his commission after the war.  He CAN go back, he chooses not to. Also worldly problems that are reflective of supernatural troubles below. Set in Boston. Like Harry, he doe snot age like we do, he's thousands of years old, though not immortal. Like Hearne, he can talk to his dog, but Marlowe is not nearly as smart as Oberon, or as involved... i think he is mainly there for Remy to talk to and for us to hear. More like a child level.