Author Topic: Kill Molly Carpenter  (Read 4280 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Molly Carpenter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 12:15:38 AM »
“Kill Molly Carpenter,” she said calmly. “As quickly as possible.”

“As Winter Lady, she shows promise,” Mab said. “But she is not ready to become Mab. The consequences would be . . . unsettling. For both of you. Perhaps for all of Winter.” I tried to think of the kind of situation that would unsettle Mab. My mind shied away from it.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 220). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
There is no way to destroy Molly Carpenter, nothing that could rid her of her humanity in short order.  Mab still has traces a thousand years after the fact. So unless it can be parsed differently it means kill the Winter Lady. And considering that Mab is planning for her death in battle this is a fraught statement. She effectively says that it may be better to  be without a Queen and a Lady.

If you're a Star Trek fanatic you can see some similarities between the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and this.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »
There is no way to destroy Molly Carpenter, nothing that could rid her of her humanity in short order.  Mab still has traces a thousand years after the fact. So unless it can be parsed differently it means kill the Winter Lady. And considering that Mab is planning for her death in battle this is a fraught statement. She effectively says that it may be better to  be without a Queen and a Lady.

If you're a Star Trek fanatic you can see some similarities between the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and this.

Outside of the glowing eyes?  I really don't, crossing the galactic boundary, both Harry and Molly made that choice, Harry more overtly, Molly, less so, but she continued to train under "Auntie Lea."
Acquire godlike powers, some would say as wizards both had them before the mantles, so far neither is corrupted by them, it is a struggle though and been close.  One wants to stop the other because one believes that he or she is a god? Not yet... Struggle with their mantles is the closest to that show.. Oh and did you hear Captain Kirk at age 90 is in space!!!  ;D

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »
“Old woman,” Corb taunted. “I remember you as a bawling brat. I remember your pimply face when you rode with the Conqueror.

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (pp. 278-279). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition

I've always assumed that the Mantles were created in 1066 and that Mab was still human when she road with the William at the Battle of Hastings. Corb says of her.I can't think of a Winter Lady with pimples, much less Mab. Speaking of Molly, Mab said she had another role in mind for Molly.  It might be reasonable to assume she was meant to be Harry's consort.

He also only says "the Conqueror". We ASSUME William. But he also says she wept when Merlin cast her out. Merlin and Arthur were centuries BEFORE William. Could the Conqueror been someone else? Caesar? Or not England - another land? Alexander? Attila? Could she have ridden with Caesar, been a changeling cast out by Merlin, and become Winter Lady at that point, 5th or 6th century, and become Queen at Hastings?

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 03:39:41 PM »
Or Mab could have ridden with William the Conqueror in 1066 when she was the Winter Lady. She did become the Winter Queen sometime around then.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
Or maybe Corb is making fun of her disguise, rather than an impossibly beautiful Fae lady Mab was disguising as a pimply lass, and Corb is saying noone was fooled.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
I'm personally assuming William mainly because the battle happened on my birthday, October 14.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 01:46:13 AM »
Or maybe Corb is making fun of her disguise, rather than an impossibly beautiful Fae lady Mab was disguising as a pimply lass, and Corb is saying noone was fooled.

Mab is too vain to show up pimply. Even Harry is impressed by her wardrobe first time he sees her. She does not slum it.