Author Topic: Why did Bob never spot Bonnie growing?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Why did Bob never spot Bonnie growing?
« on: September 23, 2021, 03:32:40 PM »
I’m re-reading and I’m on White Knight.  Bob notes that a portion of Harry’s soul is gone after Lash took the psychic for Harry.  Why didn’t Bob note Bonnie growing within Harry?  Seriously.  There were three years of Bob with Harry pre-Changes where Bob would have mentioned a spirit of knowledge growing within Harry’s skull. 

It’s strange Bob either didn’t notice, or didn’t mention it to Harry.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Bob never spot Bonnie growing?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
I’m re-reading and I’m on White Knight.  Bob notes that a portion of Harry’s soul is gone after Lash took the psychic for Harry.  Why didn’t Bob note Bonnie growing within Harry?  Seriously.  There were three years of Bob with Harry pre-Changes where Bob would have mentioned a spirit of knowledge growing within Harry’s skull. 

It’s strange Bob either didn’t notice, or didn’t mention it to Harry.

1]  Harry says in Cold Days regarding Soul Fire that there are some things Bob doesn't know everything about and can in fact be wrong. If you will remember Bob wasn't a whole lot of help when it came to contact with a coin or with a shadow of one of the Fallen in Harry's head.  I doubt that there has been a hybrid shadow/host I.d. created before, successfully at any rate.
2] I cannot remember if Bob was ever able to successfully scan Harry for anything in the past.. Bob isn't a Cat-scan machine..

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
Bob scans Harry all the time commenting on missing part of his soul in WK and sharing his soul in SF.  Why wouldn’t he see Bonnie growing from Harry’s soul.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
Wrong frequency search?  Bob is very magic based, whereas Lash is faith based.  Bonnie being difficult for him to spot, especially unprompted, seems reasonable.  Combined with a gradual growing period, maybe Harry wasn't "showing" yet and it go overlooked.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:38:04 PM »
Bob scans Harry all the time commenting on missing part of his soul in WK and sharing his soul in SF.  Why wouldn’t he see Bonnie growing from Harry’s soul.

Can Bob really see Harry's soul though?  He may see life force, but that isn't the same as your soul. He was also talking about soul fire, something he doesn't know that much about. How much of that was Bob going out on a limb about something he doesn't know that much about, and how much was an attempt to reassure Harry?

Here is what Harry said about what Bob knows on the subject of souls,and soul fire Cold Days page 317

Bob is brilliant, but there are some things he just doesn't get.  His definition was a good place to get started, but it was also something that was too comfortably quantifiable.  The soul isn't something you can weigh and measure.  It's more than one thing.  Because soulfire interacts with souls in a way that I'm not sure anyone understands, it stands to reason that soulfire isn't one thing, either.

Remember this insight came after Harry's soul did it's walk about in Ghost Story.  Harry at this point may know a little more on the subject than Bob.  So if Bob really doesn't understand souls or soulfire, he may not know such a union as happened is even possible.. And if you don't know something is possible, why would you look for it? If Bob didn't know, he simply wouldn't look in Harry's head for it.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
I think it's an upcoming plot point. Bob is not aware of Bonea. Alfred, Molly, Mab and Maggie are the only ones aware of Bonea. Molly isn't aware of Bob. The last is important because Mab is on the lookout for our favorite skull-resident letch.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
Who says Bob never spotted Bonnie growing?  Who's to say that Mab didn't visit Bob and specifically threaten Bob to stay quiet?  And before anyone says that Mab cannot cross over Harry's threshold, Harry has been in her debt from before Harry picked up Lasciel's coin.  Mab can go where she wants and do what she wants.  That's why she was able to take Harry's boomstick in Small Favor. 

There is no indication that Bob is fae.  He is able to lie as well as evade, misdirect and intentionally misinterpret questions.  So long as Harry never directly asked "Hey Bob, do you see an entity that is technically my offspring growing in my skull?", Bob could argue he never lied.  Heck, are we even sure that Mab is really after Bob?  The only reason why we know that Mab wants to find Bob is because Bob said so.  For all we know, Bob could be a mole under the control of Leanansidhe (and thus Mab) when Lea helped Harry defeat DuMorne.  Remember, we only know what Harry knows. :)

The fact that Bob asked for a backup skull right around the time when Bonea would need a place of her own to occupy is highly suspect and way too much of a coincidence.  In my opinion, this is an example of Bob helping Harry (and maybe passively resisting Mab's instructions) without Harry being aware of it. 
I always wanted to be a monk, but I never got the chants.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 09:31:37 PM »
Who says Bob never spotted Bonnie growing?  Who's to say that Mab didn't visit Bob and specifically threaten Bob to stay quiet?  And before anyone says that Mab cannot cross over Harry's threshold, Harry has been in her debt from before Harry picked up Lasciel's coin.  Mab can go where she wants and do what she wants.  That's why she was able to take Harry's boomstick in Small Favor. 

There is no indication that Bob is fae.  He is able to lie as well as evade, misdirect and intentionally misinterpret questions.  So long as Harry never directly asked "Hey Bob, do you see an entity that is technically my offspring growing in my skull?", Bob could argue he never lied.  Heck, are we even sure that Mab is really after Bob?  The only reason why we know that Mab wants to find Bob is because Bob said so.  For all we know, Bob could be a mole under the control of Leanansidhe (and thus Mab) when Lea helped Harry defeat DuMorne.  Remember, we only know what Harry knows. :)

The fact that Bob asked for a backup skull right around the time when Bonea would need a place of her own to occupy is highly suspect and way too much of a coincidence.  In my opinion, this is an example of Bob helping Harry (and maybe passively resisting Mab's instructions) without Harry being aware of it.

There is certainly no textial basis for Mab warning Bob not to speak of Bonnie. 

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »
Maybe Bob did, but didn’t say anything because he wasn’t asked.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 12:23:20 AM »
The only reason why we know that Mab wants to find Bob is because Bob said so.  For all we know, Bob could be a mole under the control of Leanansidhe (and thus Mab) when Lea helped Harry defeat DuMorne.  Remember, we only know what Harry knows. :)

We don't know that Mab really wants Bob gone, although I tend to read it that he sincerely believes she does.

I think she's perfectly happy to see him making her vassal smarter and stronger, so long as he's afraid enough of her to keep his head down and his mouth shut about what Halloween means to immortals. Her whole scheme in CD depended on Harry getting the information he needed to know from Bob, though ... it falls apart without him.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 05:28:05 PM »
Bob doesn't know everything, he's like an expert system.  He knows what was put in his database and can extrapolate from their within certain parameters.  Even his personality is just a reflection of his current boss.  Like when I changed my Siri from boring, bland American accent to more interesting Irish accent.

Women sometimes don't know that their pregnant until surprisingly late term (and a few women gave birth not knowing they were pregnant until it happened).  Depending on the test, some pregnancy tests don't register for several weeks. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 06:47:54 PM »
Are you saying that Harry merely thought he had a fat head, instead of being pregnant?

The entire cast of the Dresden Files would agree with you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 07:56:31 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 07:17:18 PM »
He never saw Lash either.  When your looking at a library full of books you never think about who owns which book. 

A nasty suspicious type would say that when Lash broke with Lasciel that she decided to break the link and used the attack in the Raith Deeps to do it. That the damage Bob saw was her(Lash) cutting the communications lines that connected her.  Where she then took on the guise of baby Bonea. And is hiding in plain sight

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
Maybe Bob did, but didn’t say anything because he wasn’t asked.

Bob: "C'mon Harry, how could you not notice you were Pregnant?" (Yes I know that there are cases of that happening irl)