Author Topic: Jim on character vs character  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Jim on character vs character
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 02:06:34 PM »
I mean, they did their huddle right after Ethniu appeared and broke their clubhouse. But they didn't have a game plan for her, because they didn't know that she was even coming. You can't plan for a game you don't know is about to happen. It's like if I went to you and said "you're playing for the New York Jets in 5 minutes, and you're playing the KC Chiefs" and you didn't even know you were playing, let alone on the team. There wouldn't be a game plan because you'd just have to improvise, maybe have a quick planning session 2 minutes before the game. That's basically what happened in Peace Talks/Battle Ground.

They didn't know she was coming?  Check out the quote, they had been fighting her for some time.  Also while you might argue it was a plan made on the fly, they had figured out a strategy.  As Harry said, once they figured out that the unconventional attacks frustrated her, light bulb time, this was her weakness, they now had hope..  It isn't enough to just have hope, now you have to figure out how to make it reality. You need a plan..
You keep saying Odin had her "right where he wanted her" but you haven't shown evidence that he did want her there or that he planned for her to be there. As others have pointed out, does it make sense for her to use it on the defenders of Chicago and kill many of them just to wait for some other moment? He could have done it right as she picked it up and ended the fight almost immediately. But he was laid out. Hence his single eye being closed, laying down on the ground, smoke coming off him...like a car after a really bad head-on crash. It's also the language Jim uses, the description is designed to signal a certain message to the reader. In this case, that Odin had been smashed. If Odin was playing possum, why not pick up his own spear as she reached down and stab her? He had multiple better opportunities.
She couldn't because she didn't have power over it... Also Odin could have thrown the spear at any time since it would always find it's target.. But Ethniu was no ordinary target, she is in effect another god.. However
gungnir: Gungnir: Odin's Spear and an Iconic Weapon
Norse
Gungnir: Odin’s Spear and an Iconic Weapon

Odin is often pictured with his spear, but do you know how important this weapon really was? Keep reading to find out more about Gungnir, the magical weapon Odin carried into battle.

By

Mike Greenberg, PhD
Published on February 3, 2021
SHARES
Tweet

It is not uncommon in Norse mythology to have very few sources that describe any person or place. That’s why it might be surprising that we have relatively ample information about an item.

The items carried by the gods, however, were obviously very important in the Norse world. They amplified the gods’ powers, symbolized their roles, and identified them in art.

Some of the most important items were the gods’ weapons, the ultimate symbols of their powers. While Odin’s weapon may have looked like an ordinary spear, it was actually a powerful item that symbolized both his magical powers and his role as a warrior god.
Gungnir: Odin’s Spear

Among the most important and iconic items in Norse mythology were the weapons of the gods. These magical items had names and origin stories that are sometimes more well-known than those of many of the gods themselves.

One of the most prominent of these important weapons was Gungnir, Odin’s spear.

While, like many aspects of Norse mythology, there are relatively few written records concerning Gungnir, there is a wealth of archaeological evidence. Many images of Odin show him holding his spear and, in some cases, it is used to identify the chief god in otherwise ambiguous images.
READ NEXT:
Where was Midgard?

It was named “The Swaying One” for the way it moved in battle. While ordinary spears flew in a relatively straight line, Gungnir moved and twisted.

This was because it always found its target. No matter how it was thrown, Gungnir would turn itself so that it hit whatever, or whomever, Odin aimed for.

Which is exactly what happened, Odin gave the word and the Spear did it's job.. 
How could Gungnir not have been effective if he triggered it earlier? It would have done the same damage, so Ethniu would have been vulnerable only earlier. And Eb, Hendricks, Cristos, the Archive all would have been ready to pounce. Also, Vadderung was close enough to do damage he just didn't use physical combat. All the gods fought with Power/Magic - a real god-level fight.

Which brings up the question, why didn't he use it earlier?  Like the minute he stepped out of his office to join the fight, something Vikings apparently did..  Thank you for making my point, if you have an AK-47 you shoot from a distance to get your target rather than judo..  Why didn't you do it?  Odin is no amateur warrior.
Occam's razor - the simplest answer is the right one. In this case it's that Odin was too injured to fight back and stop Ethniu taking his spear, and when he came to he pulled out his last trick. Why are you so sure that Odin couldn't go down?
Using the simplest answer, doesn't work because the simplest answer would have been for him to throw the Spear as soon as he saw her before she had time to react to him being there.
Also, are you saying Molly was lying or that she was wrong when she says Vadderung/Odin/Kringle got laid out?

That doesn't have to be a lie..
Which mostly was fine because after that only Odin re-entered the fight, and only to use his trump card. Think of it like a villain with a hidden bomb vest. He seems to be defeated then pulls the pin, trying to take the enemy out as well. Odin just did it smarter and more precisely and efficiently. He was beaten but he still had his ace in the hole. It only requires the planning of having a weapon that can turn on it's wielder, Vadderung didn't need to know Ethniu specifically would take it to know it would be useful to have a weapon that turned on a thief should he be disarmed. It isn't accident that the weapon turned on her. Vadderung did intend it to happen AFTER he woke up and realised it had been stolen. Unless you're saying he knew it would be stolen before the fight (that he would have also had to know was about to happen)...which there isn't evidence of. Planning for a possible outcome doesn't require specific knowledge. That's why seatbelts and airbags are in cars. We know that cars get in crashes. We don't know when or how but we still put airbags and seatbelts in them, to prepare for that outcome.

Which all underscores my argument.  Also with due respect, you haven't supplied any quotes to underscore your argument or disprove mine.. It could be we are reading the same thing but just interpret it differently.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
They didn't know she was coming?  Check out the quote, they had been fighting her for some time.  Also while you might argue it was a plan made on the fly, they had figured out a strategy.  As Harry said, once they figured out that the unconventional attacks frustrated her, light bulb time, this was her weakness, they now had hope..  It isn't enough to just have hope, now you have to figure out how to make it reality. You need a plan..
Are you seriously saying they knew prior to her entrance in Peace Talks they knew Ethniu was coming? How do you get that?

Sure, they figured out a brief strategy and some basic tactics - but it wasn't something that was made until after Ethniu's big reveal. I am not saying they never had a plan, I said they didn't know she was coming and hadn't planned for it. All they "planned" for was how to stop her and her army AFTER they knew she was in Chicago.

She couldn't because she didn't have power over it... Also Odin could have thrown the spear at any time since it would always find it's target.. But Ethniu was no ordinary target, she is in effect another god.. However
She literally uses it on McCoy, Cristos, the Chicago fighters. How did she not have power over it? I doubt she knew about Odin's failsafe. But she still wielded it. I think you're conflating the rules of the myth there and the series. In the myths when Gungnir is thrown it always finds it's mark. We never saw Gungnir thrown like that in the series, and we don't know whether it would have worked. I doubt it though, because if it were that simple Odin could have thrown it at her much earlier and hit her eye before she even got started. I'd say he didn't because she could have blocked it. Throwing your weapon away is normally a pretty poor idea especially if the target might stop it.

Which is exactly what happened, Odin gave the word and the Spear did it's job.. 
I understand the myth of Gungnir, I do. I have read extensively on the Norse myths over the last few decades. But this isn't the myths, it's the Dresden Files. Which while inspired by the myths has obvious differences. Gungnir never flew from Odin's hand. The closest thing would be the lightning.

Which brings up the question, why didn't he use it earlier?  Like the minute he stepped out of his office to join the fight, something Vikings apparently did..  Thank you for making my point, if you have an AK-47 you shoot from a distance to get your target rather than judo..  Why didn't you do it?  Odin is no amateur warrior.
Because, as above, likely Ethniu could have stopped it. Rendering him less powerful. If he was so sure of his trick, why not just throw it at her at first opportunity and if she blocks then steals it, trigger the failsafe? Because Ethniu would suspect a trap and she could block it. Exactly, Odin has a gun but he never fired it at her. Why? Because she was far too strong. Also, she had the WAY bigger gun. I wouldn't have a shoot-out with anyone wielding the Eye of Balor. If that thing can destroy gods and immortals, it might even have destroyed his spear. Far too great a risk. In point of fact, Odin waited to get in combat with her and have a magic duel. Basically, judo.

Using the simplest answer, doesn't work because the simplest answer would have been for him to throw the Spear as soon as he saw her before she had time to react to him being there.
As above, the risk to himself and the spear was too great - and it's not clear the spear would even work that way. We haven't see what happens when it's thrown.

That doesn't have to be a lie..
So you're saying Molly was...wrong. As in, the Queen of Faerie? With power comes knowledge. Molly now has a whole lot of power and knowledge. Yet somehow Molly wouldn't have been aware of this "rope-a-dope" strategy that was supposedly concocted before the battle, and wouldn't have been aware of Odin state of wellbeing during the battle (or after). Also, why would Jim write that sentence? To mislead us? Doylist reason is that he was telling the audience that Vadderung had a bruised ego because he got whupped.

Which all underscores my argument.  Also with due respect, you haven't supplied any quotes to underscore your argument or disprove mine.. It could be we are reading the same thing but just interpret it differently.
I supplied the quotes with Molly directly saying that Vadderung got laid out. With all due respect, the onus of proof is on you because you are making a claim contrary to the book. The book says he got laid out. You're saying it was a deception in order for Vadderung to get a critical shot on her. But the book doesn't say this, even if you believe it implies it. It says that he got beaten, it shows him waking up after being beaten and activating Gungnir's failsafe. It then restates he got beaten in a short-story at the end of the book. So, what quotes would you like?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »
I supplied the quotes with Molly directly saying that Vadderung got laid out. With all due respect, the onus of proof is on you because you are making a claim contrary to the book. The book says he got laid ou

Which can mean anything at the same time Sanya keeps talking about "the plan," we need a better plan because for the most part they got their ass kicked.  However they won in the end because of the unconventional attacks..  Also just common sense says, if you have hope because you see a weakness, that you don't follow up with a plan to exploit that weakness.. Whether it was off page or not.
Are you seriously saying they knew prior to her entrance in Peace Talks they knew Ethniu was coming? How do you get that?
I never did, I never said that prior to Peace Talks they knew that she was coming, they didn't.  What I am saying is in the middle of the battle they discovered her weakness..  She got frustrated as Harry said by unconventional attacks, once he says that, reading the next twenty pages or so, the attacks appear more coordinated than random, that takes planning, even if on the fly..
She literally uses it on McCoy, Cristos, the Chicago fighters. How did she not have power over it? I doubt she knew about Odin's failsafe. But she still wielded it.
But not to the effect that Odin did..  All he had to do with say the word, and "it turned on her like a snake.."
As above, the risk to himself and the spear was too great - and it's not clear the spear would even work that way. We haven't see what happens when it's thrown.
Actually that is exactly how it works, unless the sources on the subject I checked out were wrong. That is why all Odin had to do was say the word and the spear turned and struck exactly where he wanted it to go, directly into the Eye.
Also, why would Jim write that sentence? To mislead us? Doylist reason is that he was telling the audience that Vadderung had a bruised ego because he got whupped.

When Odin called to the Spear to do it's thing, he didn't sound whupped or very much like he had a bruised ego.. Also he won, the Spear did it's job and Lara was able to kick it out of her head.
It says that he got beaten, it shows him waking up after being beaten and activating Gungnir's failsafe. It then restates he got beaten in a short-story at the end of the book. So, what quotes would you like?

In "Christmas Eve"?  Kringle gives Harry a nice gift, but he doesn't say anything about being beaten... Neither does Molly, Harry feels guilty and bad because so many got hurt and died and Murphy died, but he always does when that happens..  Harry is depressed because of the loss of innocent lives..  Molly tells him he did what he could, it wasn't his fault, then gives him the card showing that Winter has paid the bill for the injuries and funerals of those who were harmed. Which is a good thing that Harry insisted upon. 

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2021, 01:19:39 AM »
Which can mean anything at the same time Sanya keeps talking about "the plan," we need a better plan because for the most part they got their ass kicked.  However they won in the end because of the unconventional attacks..  Also just common sense says, if you have hope because you see a weakness, that you don't follow up with a plan to exploit that weakness.. Whether it was off page or not.
What can mean anything? Molly says, word for word, that Vadderung got laid out. How is that ambiguous? Sanya is referring to the plan made after Ethniu's appearance. I agree, they won because their plan had the right elements - but more importantly the execution of it was done well enough to win the day. As Mike Tyson says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Or to use the old quote "No plan survives first contact with the enemy". Obviously there is some wiggle room but you get the idea.

I am afraid I don't understand the bit about common sense. Could you put that another way?
I never did, I never said that prior to Peace Talks they knew that she was coming, they didn't.  What I am saying is in the middle of the battle they discovered her weakness..  She got frustrated as Harry said by unconventional attacks, once he says that, reading the next twenty pages or so, the attacks appear more coordinated than random, that takes planning, even if on the fly..
My apologies then, it appeared you were saying that to me. They knew her weakness early on - that Titanic Bronze can be pierced by holy and unholy power, and that they need to wear down her limits, and that she is emotional and brash. Both Mab and Marcone immediately acknowledge that had Ethniu given no warning, had attacked a less well defended city (one without Mab for instance), she would have achieved her goals. But she attacked Chicago because Mab was there, and she had to prove herself superior. She wanted the theatre of it all. As I said earlier, I am not saying there was not a plan at all, just that they didn't plan for Ethniu coming to Chicago because they had no knowledge of it.

But not to the effect that Odin did..  All he had to do with say the word, and "it turned on her like a snake.."
That is assuming Ethniu even knew about that ability. And how would she employ it? Give Odin his staff back? That trick only works because no one knows about it and only Odin knows how to activate it.

Actually that is exactly how it works, unless the sources on the subject I checked out were wrong. That is why all Odin had to do was say the word and the spear turned and struck exactly where he wanted it to go, directly into the Eye.
I'm not saying your sources were wrong. But they are sources that inspire the character, they are not evidence of the character. Jim picks and chooses what bit he likes out of fiction and mythology, and often just invents his own stuff. It is not enough to rely on what the myths say, or what analyses of them say. They are a guide not a rule. As I said, we don't have proof that the spear when thrown never misses it's target, we don't have proof it is unstoppable, because we never saw the spear thrown in Battle Ground or in any other book. The closest thing to that would be firing lightning from it. Also, in no myth does Odin speak a work and the spear targets his enemies. In the actual myths we have, all that happens is he throws it and it doesn't miss. Which for a Viking was incredible. A spear that didn't deviate because of bad throws or wind or being poorly made. That alone made it far more deadly than a regular spear. In more modern interpretations and imaginations the spear has been granted far more power.

As I pointed out way back, the spear turning on Ethniu is a direct rip from D&D Deities & Demigods, 1st edition. Jim has spiced up the effect but this is far more likely his inspiration than the myths. There is no story of Odin's spear ever being used by any one but Odin, so there's no story of it attacking an unworthy thief.

When Odin called to the Spear to do it's thing, he didn't sound whupped or very much like he had a bruised ego.. Also he won, the Spear did it's job and Lara was able to kick it out of her head.
That's your interpretation. We didn't "hear" Odin. All it says is that he says it in a deep voice. You interpret that as commanding, but I interpret that as simply the power of the magic. We will have to agree to disagree there.

But, as before that doesn't answer why Jim wrote the words "He got laid out" in The Good People. Why did Jim write that? Can you answer it?

In "Christmas Eve"?  Kringle gives Harry a nice gift, but he doesn't say anything about being beaten... Neither does Molly, Harry feels guilty and bad because so many got hurt and died and Murphy died, but he always does when that happens..  Harry is depressed because of the loss of innocent lives..  Molly tells him he did what he could, it wasn't his fault, then gives him the card showing that Winter has paid the bill for the injuries and funerals of those who were harmed. Which is a good thing that Harry insisted upon.
Why would he say that? At what point in the short story would it have been relevant for Kingle to say "Yeah, I got beaten" particularly as he was also furious about it. Same for Molly, at what point would it have been relevant to bring it up? Also, as Christmas Eve came out before Battle Ground was released, Jim wasn't going to spoil anything.

I don't disagree that Molly paying funeral and hospital bills for Chicagoans was a good thing. Not sure why you think I would.