Author Topic: Jim on character vs character  (Read 5635 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Jim on character vs character
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »
I don't think anyone was pulling punches. The Eye was a threat to the laws of reality itself. Newtonian chaos was about to break out on Earth. There was no do-over for this. There was no going back to the benches to figure out what to do next.

I don't see the big guns playing five-rounded Russian roulette with reality so Harry could have a big moment.

Alright I agree with you, however I do believe Odin has backup plans for backup plans incase he failed, and it was for her to take his weapon as her own, and for him to use it against her.   
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
Hmm I kinda think Battle Grounds ws the last sentence of the WOJ...
Battle Ground was the Battle Royal.

Battle Ground was not the Battle Royal.  You had a frickin' Titan walk up and go toe to toe with a bunch of the big powers of the accords.  but... how many of them died?  Sure Titania got smacked around, still here.  Odin, still here.  Heck even the white court, the wizards, the knights of the cross, and Marcone are all still here.  Sure, in another place we lost some wizards to an opportunistic Drakul and had a mortal kill a mortal, but in the big throw down?  Not a single important opponent of hers was killed.  Seems weird for such a dangerous situation unless it was all planned out ahead of time to at least some degree. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 07:15:41 PM »
Battle Ground was the Battle Royal.

I don't believe so.  The Stars and Stones will probably be the Battle Royal.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »
Was he? Amazing isn't it, that he managed to mutter the exact right word, at the exact right time. That is why I mentioned "rope a dope,"  if you are a boxing fan, and even if you aren't most people have heard of the strategy of the late great Mohamed Ali in the latter years of his boxing career.  He'd lean back on the ropes for several rounds, yes, take a lot of punishment, it would even look like he was losing, but then when the time was right, he'd deliver the knock out punch.  I'm thinking that Odin played rope a dope with Ethniu, and when she thought she had the upper hand, he delivered the knock out punch.

It's possible, but, I don't think he wanted that. Having a failsafe in case plan A fails is a bit different than 'lose my spear' being his plan.

That said, it IS intriguing that Chicago has 2 Swords and a Denarian on standby when a Titan comes knocking, and the third Sword coming in on time - almost as if the Angels (Fallen or not) did have sufficient foresight to predict a threat of this magnitude, and prepared for it. Almost makes you wonder if Lucy cheated in SF just to allow Uriel to upgrade his pawn to a Knight for this fight, though that may be attributing too much collusion.

Granted, Odin did have quite a bunch of Einherjar and 2 Valkyries ready to roll in Chicago too, so he can't have been completely unprepared.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
That said, it IS intriguing that Chicago has 2 Swords and a Denarian on standby when a Titan comes knocking, and the third Sword coming in on time - almost as if the Angels (Fallen or not) did have sufficient foresight to predict a threat of this magnitude, and prepared for it. Almost makes you wonder if Lucy cheated in SF just to allow Uriel to upgrade his pawn to a Knight for this fight, though that may be attributing too much collusion.

Third Sword?  If I remember correctly, the Sword of Love remained on the island and no one was chosen by Harry to wield it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 09:34:25 PM »
Alright I agree with you, however I do believe Odin has backup plans for backup plans incase he failed, and it was for her to take his weapon as her own, and for him to use it against her.
I'll totally buy that Odin had a spell on his gear to protect it from being used by others. But giving up your weapon in battle to weaken the enemy seems like a stretch.

Letting her use it to take out nameless fighters, Hendricks, McCoy, Cristos, Listens, River, Butters, and disarm Sanya all so Lara could pop her in the back of the head seems like overkill. Especially when the same command given at the moment Marcone shot her in the face, or Sanya was cutting her up, would have afforded the same opportunity without waiting for everyone else to fall in battle.

I mean, sure, maybe he had the Doctor Strange foresight to see the one way it could play out as a win. But that just seems like a stretch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »
I'll totally buy that Odin had a spell on his gear to protect it from being used by others. But giving up your weapon in battle to weaken the enemy seems like a stretch.

Why?  They needed to get inside her defenses, that seems a perfect way.  Ever hear of the Trojan Horse?
Letting her use it to take out nameless fighters, Hendricks, McCoy, Cristos, Listens, River, Butters, and disarm Sanya all so Lara could pop her in the back of the head seems like overkill. Especially when the same command given at the moment Marcone shot her in the face, or Sanya was cutting her up, would have afforded the same opportunity without waiting for everyone else to fall in battle.
Perhaps, but that is what was needed ultimately to get the job done.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »
Does it have to be?  Odin is smacked, hard seemingly out, but he isn't.  Then as the Titan is about
to do something with it, his says a word and it explodes in her face and does so much damage that Lara and her ladies just happen to be there to kick it from her head from behind.  That screams set up.
Molly said he was. She isn't just some know-nothing apprentice anymore. She is a Queen of Faerie. With that kind of power also comes knowledge. She's also Fae, so she cannot lie. So she truly believes Vadderung got laid out, and she has the knowledge that her position grants to make an accurate assessment of that.

Was he? Amazing isn't it, that he managed to mutter the exact right word, at the exact right time. That is why I mentioned "rope a dope,"  if you are a boxing fan, and even if you aren't most people have heard of the strategy of the late great Mohamed Ali in the latter years of his boxing career.  He'd lean back on the ropes for several rounds, yes, take a lot of punishment, it would even look like he was losing, but then when the time was right, he'd deliver the knock out punch.  I'm thinking that Odin played rope a dope with Ethniu, and when she thought she had the upper hand, he delivered the knock out punch.
As I said above, we already have a weighty statement that he was laid out. I understand your theory, I do. It's a possible scenario. But it isn't a probable one, at least not based on what I have seen so far. What hint is there that Odin tricked her? Is there some quote from Odin saying "Sometimes it's better to play possum so your enemy becomes vulnerable" or something to that effect? Some evidence that Odin intended to lose his spear, that he had planned it with Mab and so on? I don't believe there is.

Would anything convince you otherwise? Not trying to be rude here but it seems like you are not willing to give credence to the contrary of your theory, yet also don't have evidence to support your theory. I would be happy to examine further evidence if you can provide some, but simply restating your theory based on a type of scenario that has occurred in our world yet not linking it with supporting evidence to the story makes it hard to get any further. I totally believe Odin could do a "rope-a-dope" if he wished. I just don't see any evidence so far that he did, but I am willing to re-examine that if you have any evidence to that effect. It's fine if you want to believe that for your head canon of course, but I can't see anyone agreeing with it unless you're prepared to strengthen your argument.

Ethniu specifically, or whoever managed to disarm him and steal his weapon? It's an important difference I think.

Battle Ground was not the Battle Royal. 
Maybe not THE Battle Royal. But surely a Battle Royal? Unless I misunderstand the term.

It's possible, but, I don't think he wanted that. Having a failsafe in case plan A fails is a bit different than 'lose my spear' being his plan.

Granted, Odin did have quite a bunch of Einherjar and 2 Valkyries ready to roll in Chicago too, so he can't have been completely unprepared.
I think if there is one thing we have learned is there is no coincidence when it comes to the Knights (both of the Cross and of the Blackened Denarius). The big powers are constantly moving their pieces around. I don't think Angels really "predict" things in the way we would understand it. They have Intellectus. Divine Knowledge. All of reality is available to them - past, future, present (and alternate). It's more a matter of working out which version of events they are experiencing/will occur where they are. Beings that are beyond time and outside of it don't experience linear time like we do. The angels seem to be in that category. I suspect the Denarian Fallen are limited though. Either you still need to be connected to Heaven to have Intellectus OR your need to not limited by a physical object (like a Coin or Swords). I find the Lucifer/Uriel team up interesting. It's fairly plausible, even. Vadderung can create Gates/Ways that are allow instantaneous travel between points in space-time. He could summon an army very easily, and because he is a forward thinker, he always has a battalion ready to go. It's not unusual even for countries now, so why would the God of War be unprepared.

I mean, sure, maybe he had the Doctor Strange foresight to see the one way it could play out as a win. But that just seems like a stretch.
Exactly right.

Also, even if Odin had Dr Strange with Eye of Agamotto/Time Stone level foresight it seems more that odd that he couldn't prepare and let his allies know of the impending attack. It's also not hinted in the series anywhere before that he works like that. We can't confuse a bit of foreknowledge and excellent planning and forecasting with play-by-play perfect knowledge of future events. It's also poor writing in my book. It also doesn't make sense for that story, as Vadderung never claims to even know what's about to happen (and no one seems to behave like he does). Surely if he had that kind of knowledge people would be asking him. But Mab and the rest seem to be just as in the dark.

Why?  They needed to get inside her defenses, that seems a perfect way.  Ever hear of the Trojan Horse?

The Trojan Horse, to your point, wasn't a traditional weapon. It was a "gift", but it appeared to have no real strategic or combat value. It's value appeared to be purely symbolic (of course it later turns out to be tactical). It would be quite different if the Greeks had left a more obvious weapon on the field. Yes, sometimes it can be a tactic to give up what appears to be a valuable asset (including a weapon or weapons) in a fight. But it's like if you're expecting to be mugged by a specific person and you give up your gun/knife/whatever because you have a failsafe built in, built on your weapon because you hope they take it off you and you can trigger the failsafe. But what if they don't take your weapon and just keep beating you instead, or use it on you before you get your chance? It's a high-risk strategy. Why wouldn't you just use your weapon to defeat the assailant?

Was the defeats/injuries/deaths of champions like Ebenezar, the Archive, River Shoulders etc really have been require to defeat Ethniu, if Odin could just do it with his spear? Odin took up his battle form (which we hadn't seen before, even in Changes) to fight Ethniu. He very much appeared to give it his best shot and it didn't work. It's also awful strategy to lose your champions if you don't require it. I don't see how they aided in Ethniu getting her Eye taken out either. So I don't really see how their various defeats were required for the play Odin used.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:14:58 AM by Yuillegan »
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
Was the defeats/injuries/deaths of champions like Ebenezar, the Archive, River Shoulders etc really have been require to defeat Ethniu, if Odin could just do it with his spear? Odin took up his battle form (which we hadn't seen before, even in Changes) to fight Ethniu. He very much appeared to give it his best shot and it didn't work. It's also awful strategy to lose your champions if you don't require it. I don't see how they aided in Ethniu getting her Eye taken out either. So I don't really see how their various defeats were required for the play Odin used.

But their collective sacrifices did weaken Ethniu and removed the eye from her, then Harry with Marcone's help was able to whisk her away to prison..  What to your mind would have worked better?
Would anything convince you otherwise?
Yes, a better plan, which you haven't demonstrated so far. 

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
But their collective sacrifices did weaken Ethniu and removed the eye from her, then Harry with Marcone's help was able to whisk her away to prison..  What to your mind would have worked better?Yes, a better plan, which you haven't demonstrated so far.
How about beating Ethniu when she stood against three immortals? How much did those mortal punks really tire her out in comparison?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
How about beating Ethniu when she stood against three immortals? How much did those mortal punks really tire her out in comparison?

She still had the eye, and if they could have done that, they would have wouldn't they?  They still would have taken a lot of punishment.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2021, 12:30:37 AM »

A better alternative would have been for Odin to trigger the spell as soon as she took it. Then she would have been weakened just as more big guns arrived and could have overwhelmed her.

But waiting to do it also afforded her the opportunity to use it in ways she didn't. She could have struck Odin or Erlking or Titania with it right after she took it, and she might have ended them. And then things would have been worse off.

I see the use of the defense spell as reactionary rather than proactive strategy. But I could be wrong.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2021, 01:29:28 AM »
But their collective sacrifices did weaken Ethniu and removed the eye from her, then Harry with Marcone's help was able to whisk her away to prison..  What to your mind would have worked better?

Yes, a better plan, which you haven't demonstrated so far.
Weaken her, sure. But Gungnir alone damaged her to the point the that removed the Eye.

If we assume Odin knew what was going to happen, as you claim, why not simply have a trap ready to go? Why not have all their armies ready and armed? Why not confront Ethniu with overwhelming force, perhaps even bait her to show up nearer Demonreach instead of at BFS headquarters so she could be bound?

You're entire argument presupposes that there was a plan in place to defeat her. There wasn't. They didn't know she would show up. Their plan was developed on the fly, after she revealed herself.

Can you show evidence to the contrary? You also haven't refuted Molly claiming Vadderung got laid out nor shown any evidence of the rope-a-dope tactic. Can you quote something? Because it's hard to see where you're coming from otherwise.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:47:55 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »
Can you show evidence to the contrary? You also haven't refuted Molly claiming Vadderung got laid out nor shown any evidence of the rope-a-dope tactic. Can you quote something? Because it's hard to see where you're coming from otherwise.

Page 297 Battle Ground, Harry spots Ethniu's weakness and what goes on for the next few pages are what I am talking about.. But this is what Harry sees;

Titan's voice.  These mortal beasts.  These worms.  I will grind that man's teeth to dust beneath my heel."
It was seeing that helpless fury that had taken her, that frustration and rage that did it, I think.  I'd felt that way before.  And I could handle it way better than she could.  I had seen the Titan's weakness:  She had the vices of her vitures.

In a way it wasn't her fault.  Ethniu was an elemental being, a primal force of the universe.  Such beings had been meant to shape the worlds from raw matter, not to cope with their wills being frustrated.  Her own personal power meant that she could demand and get her way in nearly every circumstance.

But when she found a circumstance that wasn't like the others, she was confounded. She had been used to coping with the opposition, had grown rigid in her habit of victory.  She never needed reflexes to deal with an agile opponent, with adversity, with unpredictability. She reacted to them the way a child would, confronting such obstacles for the first time.

She spent precious seconds throwing a tantrum.

And hope rekindled and flickered to life.

Now did team Harry huddle on their own five yard line to plan their attack? If you wanted that as your proof, then there is none.  At the same time, what happens over the next twenty pages or so screams that it is part of an attack plan, unpredictable attacks that in of themselves didn't do a whole lot of damage to her, but at the same time they frustrated and pissed her off.  Frustrated and pissed off people make mistakes, that is what Team Harry was counting on, they had hope, because they had a plan once they spotted her weakness.  Yes, they took a whole lot of damage in the process, seemingly on the ropes, then on page 321-322..  Odin had her and his Spear right where he wanted them and he delivered the knock out blow..  A big deal is made of the damage that Ethniu could do with his Spear, but could she really do that much?  As a spear, yeah, but she wasn't mistress of it, no, the Spear knew exactly who to answer to, and it wasn't her.  Consider the calm manner, the deep voice when he gave his command, Odin was not someone down for the count going for one last desperate move. 

And twenty yards away, the swirl of battle stirred, and I saw One-Eye's shadowy form on the ground where he had fallen.He lifted his head.
He opened his eye.
It gleamed like a smoldering coal in the shadow.
And Odin, Father of the Aesir spoke, his voice a deep resonance that shook
the air with gentle power.  "Gungnir."
I knew the translation of the weapon's name, a bit of useless trivia that had stuck in my head.
Swayer:

What happens next could only have happened if the Spear was in position where it could do the most damage.  Ethniu had stolen it for her very own, yes, it is the Trojan Horse, because it never occurred to her that it could blow up in her face, but she had been tricked and it was right where it could do the most damage..  One on one, Odin couldn't have gotten that close to do that damage...
Odin speaks to Swayer and...
A rune burst into scarlet light upon the Spear's blade.
And Like a snake, the weapon of the gods the Titan had stolen turned in her hand, whipping about with lightning speed.  As it did, runes burst into light all along the length of the blade and haft alike, suddenly blazing with energy.
And the weapon plunged with vicious, absolute precision into the Eye of Balor.

And it was all down hill for Ethniu after that... That kind of thing takes planning, it doesn't happen by accident in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:32:39 AM by Mira »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
Page 297 Battle Ground, Harry spots Ethniu's weakness and what goes on for the next few pages are what I am talking about.. But this is what Harry sees;

Now did team Harry huddle on their own five yard line to plan their attack? If you wanted that as your proof, then there is none.  At the same time, what happens over the next twenty pages or so screams that it is part of an attack plan, unpredictable attacks that in of themselves didn't do a whole lot of damage to her, but at the same time they frustrated and pissed her off.  Frustrated and pissed off people make mistakes, that is what Team Harry was counting on, they had hope, because they had a plan once they spotted her weakness.  Yes, they took a whole lot of damage in the process, seemingly on the ropes, then on page 321-322..  Odin had her and his Spear right where he wanted them and he delivered the knock out blow..  A big deal is made of the damage that Ethniu could do with his Spear, but could she really do that much?  As a spear, yeah, but she wasn't mistress of it, no, the Spear knew exactly who to answer to, and it wasn't her.  Consider the calm manner, the deep voice when he gave his command, Odin was not someone down for the count going for one last desperate move. 

What happens next could only have happened if the Spear was in position where it could do the most damage.  Ethniu had stolen it for her very own, yes, it is the Trojan Horse, because it never occurred to her that it could blow up in her face, but she had been tricked and it was right where it could do the most damage..  One on one, Odin couldn't have gotten that close to do that damage...
Odin speaks to Swayer and...

And it was all down hill for Ethniu after that... That kind of thing takes planning, it doesn't happen by accident in my opinion.
I mean, they did their huddle right after Ethniu appeared and broke their clubhouse. But they didn't have a game plan for her, because they didn't know that she was even coming. You can't plan for a game you don't know is about to happen. It's like if I went to you and said "you're playing for the New York Jets in 5 minutes, and you're playing the KC Chiefs" and you didn't even know you were playing, let alone on the team. There wouldn't be a game plan because you'd just have to improvise, maybe have a quick planning session 2 minutes before the game. That's basically what happened in Peace Talks/Battle Ground.

I am not saying they didn't have a plan altogether. But it was cobbled together in the hour after Ethniu showed up, not before. There is no evidence they knew she was about to attack. There is evidence of the Accorded Nations planning right after she shows up. But I don't remember anything about making her think she had won. If that had been the case, why not show her that in a more obvious way? Think of a great heist movie. Often the villain thinks they have won until the reveal happens right at the end. Jim did this in Skin Game quite effectively. If he was doing that in Battle Ground, why not show it more? The closest he got was when Harry pulled out the Spear of Destiny which worried Ethniu quite a bit. But there wasn't a passage earlier setting up Gungnir or Odin to do a big reveal, which is Jim's style.

It's a bit of a jump really to say that because she was harried and distracted, they were making her think she was winning. She was winning. They barely stopped her. Ethniu did kill a fair few people with that spear (Hendricks, maybe Cristos, a bunch of Chicago warriors). She didn't kill Eb because he had an equal counter (the Blackstaff). But pretty much everyone else didn't survive it.

You keep saying Odin had her "right where he wanted her" but you haven't shown evidence that he did want her there or that he planned for her to be there. As others have pointed out, does it make sense for her to use it on the defenders of Chicago and kill many of them just to wait for some other moment? He could have done it right as she picked it up and ended the fight almost immediately. But he was laid out. Hence his single eye being closed, laying down on the ground, smoke coming off him...like a car after a really bad head-on crash. It's also the language Jim uses, the description is designed to signal a certain message to the reader. In this case, that Odin had been smashed. If Odin was playing possum, why not pick up his own spear as she reached down and stab her? He had multiple better opportunities.

How could Gungnir not have been effective if he triggered it earlier? It would have done the same damage, so Ethniu would have been vulnerable only earlier. And Eb, Hendricks, Cristos, the Archive all would have been ready to pounce. Also, Vadderung was close enough to do damage he just didn't use physical combat. All the gods fought with Power/Magic - a real god-level fight.

Occam's razor - the simplest answer is the right one. In this case it's that Odin was too injured to fight back and stop Ethniu taking his spear, and when he came to he pulled out his last trick. Why are you so sure that Odin couldn't go down? He's strong and smart certainly but neither invincible nor infallible. He got beaten in a straight fight so he did what all good warriors do, he played dirty. Which is always why you double tap. I guess Ethniu was already so tired after fighting four gods, she decided to not waste any more energy on them. Which mostly was fine because after that only Odin re-entered the fight, and only to use his trump card. Think of it like a villain with a hidden bomb vest. He seems to be defeated then pulls the pin, trying to take the enemy out as well. Odin just did it smarter and more precisely and efficiently. He was beaten but he still had his ace in the hole. It only requires the planning of having a weapon that can turn on it's wielder, Vadderung didn't need to know Ethniu specifically would take it to know it would be useful to have a weapon that turned on a thief should he be disarmed. It isn't accident that the weapon turned on her. Vadderung did intend it to happen AFTER he woke up and realised it had been stolen. Unless you're saying he knew it would be stolen before the fight (that he would have also had to know was about to happen)...which there isn't evidence of. Planning for a possible outcome doesn't require specific knowledge. That's why seatbelts and airbags are in cars. We know that cars get in crashes. We don't know when or how but we still put airbags and seatbelts in them, to prepare for that outcome.

Also, are you saying Molly was lying or that she was wrong when she says Vadderung/Odin/Kringle got laid out?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:24:49 PM by Yuillegan »