Author Topic: Does ID Harry have Cassondra's tears?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Does ID Harry have Cassondra's tears?
« on: July 13, 2021, 03:31:57 AM »
Every once in a while Harry gets to speak with himself, usually when unconscious.  ID Harry (stands for internal dialogue?)  seems to observe things that Harry doesn't, and from time to time tries to warn him, but Harry seems to miss it. 

I speak about ID Harry as if he is a different person, and in a way he is.  He is part of Harry but isn't the same.  He'd sleep with the woman Harry wouldn't.  He's more like Bob I think.  Anyways most of the things ID Harry mentions are observations that Harry seems to miss, but there are at least two things I can think of that ID Harry spotted that seem like more than just observations.  Something more.

1.  In Storm Front at the beginning of the book when he and Murphy are in the elevator together he looks at their shadows on the floor, and says "My shadow and Murphy's fell on the floor, and almost looked as though they were sprawled there.  There was something about it that bothered me, a nagging little instinct that I blew off as a case of the nerves".

This to me sounds a lot like ID Harry warning Harry.  For what?  Later in the book he and Murphy nearly get killed in an elevator with the giant scorpion attacking.  If true this was a bit of a prophetic feeling.  Not an observation but a prediction of some kind.  Harry does appear to sense an event approaching that involved he, and Murphy in an elevator accident.

2.  Ascher and her Coin.  Not even Mab, who was in person contact with Marcone was able to know that he had a Coin.  Yet ID Harry was able to realize that Ascher had a Coin, and was trying to warn him.  On some level he knew Lasciel was there, and if Harry let his guard down to a seductive woman (Murphy in his dream), he'd get killed. 

On some level ID Harry is aware of things that I don't think can be chalked up to subconscious observation. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Does ID Harry have Cassondra's tears?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
I have two different ideas as to what Id-Harry represents.

One is that the Harry we see is a construct personality as mentioned by Bob early in the series- a fine thrall that's been left operating so long he's more than a thrall, and Id Harry is the real Harry and has the black magic taint.

The other is that Id Harry is the Harry Harry wants to be- and he recognizes him as just that bit evil as a result of the magic backlash, so he deliberately sabotages avenues of success to prevent himself from becoming Id Harry. In that occasion, Id Harry is the "real" Harry.

Either way, I have the following thoughts about Id Harry.

1) He's the actual Winter Knight (hence the badge he wore when speaking to Harry in Skin Game).
2) He's the one Lasciel fell in love with/is Bonea's father.
3) He's the one people see when soul gazing Harry

As to how he's aware of things Harry isn't- Harry is a PI because he's intelligent with excellent instincts, but he literally does not like to listen to his instincts because he has a background tendency towards megalomania- again, I think from the magic backlash from violating the first law. He recognizes the craving for power in himself. Id Harry doesn't have that hangup. To your examples, in the first case he's warning Harry about being entangled with Murphy- probably because he thought she was attractive from day one, but she was ready to take him down- and in the second, he and Lash had a baby together, recognizing her "style" of seduction isn't too much of a trick when Denarians are about. He's the suspicious, dangerous part of Harry- the part that Nic saw and wanted to recruit, the part that gives Mab a thrill down her leg, the part that makes Lea beam with pride and Aurora pity him.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:18:45 PM »
Also two different ideas.
Ones the time/dimensional angle. In absence of Raidem I'll point out the "there you are" line. And I remember I nice theory about the time travelling duster too lol.
The more mundane one is, the subconscious actually does pick up on alot of stuff you'd not realize without reaching into it. Think it was Thomas Edison who used to sleep at his desk with a pen in his hand and a pair of brass balls(don't say it lol) in his other hand so he could invent things with his full mind. An if he fell asleep he'd drop the balls and wake himself up. Never tried that particular method but sounds effective.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
Didn't Luccio also mention something about limited precognition as an aspect of the Sight to explain why Harry was supremely familiar with the island even before bonding with it? Maybe his Id was in tune with that well before his waking mind.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 12:54:12 AM »
Didn't Luccio also mention something about limited precognition as an aspect of the Sight to explain why Harry was supremely familiar with the island even before bonding with it? Maybe his Id was in tune with that well before his waking mind.

Yup, she did, at the end of Small Favor.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 03:06:31 AM »
I know this is kinda out there but, what if ID-Harry is Harry from another timeline but is trapped in our Harry's skull. Almost like how Profesor Moddy was trapped in the magical chest in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. ID-Harry can't really do much but knows what's going on. I agree that ID-Harry is the true father of Bonnie; whether or not our Harry is considered the father or uncle or step-father, I don't have a guess.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »
I think Id-Harry is just that.  Id-Harry is more intuitive, more able to make connections between seemingly random items of information. 

Many people have "inspiration" in the shower or exercising or when the just wake up in the morning.  When I get stuck on a hard problem, I stop what I'm doing and go do something else -- usually physical -- and often something will come to me when I'm not "thinking so hard" about it.