Author Topic: Carlos in Infected  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos in Infected
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 06:37:57 AM »
Well to me the whole thing works best if Carlos was just Carlos.

Why?

Simple - we've known Harry is treated as suspicious or probably-evil since day 1 of the series, but what we see is him consistently proving to e.g. the Wardens that he's really not as bad as they suspect. As powerful maybe, but not as bad. So how'd he ever get to be mistrusted?

Enter Carlos - a notionally upstanding Warden who used to like Harry. Who probably still likes Harry as a person. But because Harry is canoodling with Mab and Lara, and constantly threatening Carlos with Molly (even if Harry doesn't know it), he gets damned suspicious. Add a bit of crazy in the fight with the vampires that killed his other friends, and suddenly that Harry-liker is one more of his enemies - and Harry'll have an uphill struggle if he wants to be friends again.

In short: Carlos-as-human is there to explain/remind why good upstanding people can be Harry's enemy.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos in Infected
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »
Well to me the whole thing works best if Carlos was just Carlos.

Why?

Simple - we've known Harry is treated as suspicious or probably-evil since day 1 of the series, but what we see is him consistently proving to e.g. the Wardens that he's really not as bad as they suspect. As powerful maybe, but not as bad. So how'd he ever get to be mistrusted?

Enter Carlos - a notionally upstanding Warden who used to like Harry. Who probably still likes Harry as a person. But because Harry is canoodling with Mab and Lara, and constantly threatening Carlos with Molly (even if Harry doesn't know it), he gets damned suspicious. Add a bit of crazy in the fight with the vampires that killed his other friends, and suddenly that Harry-liker is one more of his enemies - and Harry'll have an uphill struggle if he wants to be friends again.

In short: Carlos-as-human is there to explain/remind why good upstanding people can be Harry's enemy.

I tend to agree with this, my theory is the injuries that he received when he had sex with Molly were more than just physical.  Then he was taken advantage of by someone and is being used to get to Harry, that is why he went along with secretly putting that tracking device on Harry in Peace Talks.  Then Harry made matters worse by using him as a distraction during the Talks, that just confirmed whatever he had been told.