Author Topic: Harry and NAMES  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Harry and NAMES
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
Uriel would disagree...  He didn't care for Harry's Nickname

Exactly, and when Harry summoned Toot in the beginning, he didn't even know he and his friends were potty for pizza.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 02:50:46 AM »
Uriel would disagree...  He didn't care for Harry's Nickname

Uriel saw that one as an insult. -el is from God. Note the angels names end in it? Gabriel, Michael, Raphiel, Uriel...  Harry left God out.  Not good with an angel

(note Siegel and Shuster stole from this tradition with Kal-El - aka Superman)

I'd point out Uriel is OK with Mr. Sunshine. he apparently even relayed it to Odin, at one of their lunches, because Odin mentioned it as the pre-battle meeting at Marcone's castle.

I thought Toot got bigger with responsibilities and followers....the more he does, the more power he seems to absorb.

Lash... I think it was because she basically lived with Harry a couple of years. Maybe... fell in love?  Part of why she sacrificed herself? Is Bonea Lasciel's child in a sense.. or Lash's? that one time, after the Deeps... when we thought she was gone gone. And Harry played guitar... and she said "Anything I can, my host..." or the like... I wonder - could she be just heavily damaged, in a damaged part of Harry's brain? Vanilla humans do not heal brain tissue... or spinal tissue in most cases, but it was said Harry might have been able to heal his back, though it could take years.... but I think there was a WOJ she is gone.

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Wasn't this covered in another post?

Possibly, but I can't find it.

"Naming things can be dangerous", last post was February.
https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,54083.0.html

Offline Feral Plum

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 08:46:02 AM »
Speaking of equal and opposite reactions....
Harry doesn't have a nickname. His name is what he is called. Harry isn't even a diminutive.

Except for Toot Toot. Has the name Pizza Lord changed Harry?

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 12:55:47 PM »
Speaking of equal and opposite reactions....
Harry doesn't have a nickname. His name is what he is called. Harry isn't even a diminutive.

Except for Toot Toot. Has the name Pizza Lord changed Harry?

Someone made a WAG the other day that Harry was ascending into the ranks of the Fae Courts accidentally because he created the Mantle of the Za Lord - ruler of the little folk and that's actually how he becomes immortal. Also after his last stunt of calling all the Little Folk in Chicago I expect Toot Toot will be almost toddler size by the time we see him next.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 02:31:56 PM »
Someone made a WAG the other day that Harry was ascending into the ranks of the Fae Courts accidentally because he created the Mantle of the Za Lord - ruler of the little folk and that's actually how he becomes immortal. Also after his last stunt of calling all the Little Folk in Chicago I expect Toot Toot will be almost toddler size by the time we see him next.

Yes, and I think it is this is what is freaking out the White Council.  Those who were present were alarmed that Harry could call forth the Little Folk to battle the flying squid things, that they obeyed and were effective.  Nobody, not even the Merlin on the White Council has a private army at their command.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
Yes, and I think it is this is what is freaking out the White Council.  Those who were present were alarmed that Harry could call forth the Little Folk to battle the flying squid things, that they obeyed and were effective.  Nobody, not even the Merlin on the White Council has a private army at their command.

The going theory is that Martha is the Saint on the Council right? If that's the case the Little Folk having faith in Harry would definitely freak her out as she's already familiar with what Faith Magic can do. (Side note: do they know Harry has Soulfire?)
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
The going theory is that Martha is the Saint on the Council right? If that's the case the Little Folk having faith in Harry would definitely freak her out as she's already familiar with what Faith Magic can do. (Side note: do they know Harry has Soulfire?)

I doubt that they know about the Soulfire,  I doubt that they even know he had contact with a coin at one time or had a Shadow of one of the Fallen dancing in his head.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 02:58:26 AM »
Is there a going theory? I would love to hear it! I haven't seen it out and about. I don't believe they do know that Harry has soulfire.

Back to the OP -

Names have power. They define things, they shape them, to some degree they create them. I think mortals in the Dresdenverse have particular power due to their Free Will. They can choose how things will go. So these powerful beings that they interact with, summon, banish, etc are defined by the mortals. Which gives mortals a HUGE edge. Mortals can change supernatural beings, define their limits, set their identities, shape their destinies. In that sense, whose really the god?

I don't think Harry is necessarily more powerful when naming things than anyone else. I think he just exercises that ability more and because of who he is and who he interacts with, we see the results.
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 06:50:14 AM »
I mean Toot is already 3 feet tall, he'll be somewhere between kid and teenager next time he appears.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.