Author Topic: No wizard ever???  (Read 1833 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
No wizard ever???
« on: June 15, 2021, 05:34:12 AM »
Leah told Harry that no mortal wizards powers had been sacrificed on the Table.   The impression I got is that this would be a big buff to the Sidhe who did this.  So it sounds like a power they would really like to obtain.  What I find perplexing is that apparently it's never been done...  I find that hard to believe that a Queen or Lady hasn't been able to manipulate a wizard at any time into the position of being sacrificed...  Harry isn't the brightest person out there but I'm pretty sure there have been some wizards who are even more likely to get themselves into trouble with the Sidhe and be unable to get out of it the way Harry has up to this point.

So what gives?  Why hasn't a wizard been sacrificed on the Table?  Oh and one more thing.  If a Starborn got sacrificed, would that mean all of Winter (if they did the sacrificing) would now have starborn power and be able to hurt Outsiders for real?  Could Mab finally begin killing them permanently? 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No wizard ever???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 06:04:39 AM »
Not that I doubt this, but was this in Summer Knight? Because if so I think a lot of that early stuff is open to interpretation. Jim has soft-retconned more than a few things from that time after all. Not to mention, in the early books a much bigger deal was made of mortal magic and that they had the big advantage. For example, Red Court vampires weren't supposed to have sorcerers/wizards that could pull off the same feats as humans outside the Never never. Which clearly has been proven otherwise, you only have to read Changes to see this isn't the case.

Naagloshii can take mortal magic, yet it doesn't give them mortal magic. They take the energy, a big boost of it probably, but because they arn't mortal they don't get mortal advantages. At least, based on the rules of the series so far. We haven't seen what happens to a Naagloshii after it take a mortal's magic. The Nightmare only seemed to get a bit of a boost from Harry when it ate a bunch of his chi. It didn't seem to get special magical advantages.

So I wouldn't think Winter or Summer would get any special benefit from a Wizard being sacrificed on the tables. But who knows? Jim might retcon things one way or another.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:40:10 PM »
I don't recall Lea saying no wizard blood had been shed there. Do you know what page it was?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
I don't recall Lea saying no wizard blood had been shed there. Do you know what page it was?

working from memory.  Could be wrong.  I think it was when she first showed him the Stone Table, and also warned him not to go there with Mab.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:11:45 PM »
working from memory.  Could be wrong.  I think it was when she first showed him the Stone Table, and also warned him not to go there with Mab.

That is how I remember it as well.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »
Quote from: Summer Knight
She frowned at the Table, then began pacing around it, slowly, clockwise, her eyes never leaving me. "The Table is not merely a repository for energy, child. It is a conduit. Blood spilled upon its surface takes more than merely life with it."

"Power," I said. I frowned and folded my arms, watching her. "So if, for instance, a wizard's blood spilled there …"

She smiled. "Great power would come of it. Mortal life, mortal magic, drawn into the hands of whichever Queen ruled the Table."
It doesn't speak to the question.  The context is the foreshadowing of Harry becoming the Winter Knight.
Quote from: Changes
“I warned you,” said a calm voice behind me. “Never let her bring you here, my godchild.”

I carefully kept myself from letting out a shriek. It would have been unwizardly. Instead, I took a deep breath and turned to find the Leanansidhe standing a few feet away, covered in a cloak the color of the last seconds of twilight, the deep blue-purple fabric hiding her completely except for her pale face inside the hood. Her green cat eyes were wide and steady, her expression solemn.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 02:07:13 AM »
It doesn't speak to the question.  The context is the foreshadowing of Harry becoming the Winter Knight.
Or her sacrificing Harry on the table to try to get his starborn power. Either way, not good for him, and I didn't see anything saying no wizard ever had been sacrificed there. So it might be moot if we're correct.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 05:59:59 AM »
Well I can't see any indication that no wizard ever has been sacrificed. In point of fact, the fact that Mab has Medea's (one of the most famous witches of ancient Greece) bodkin (knife/athame) says it fairly likely that some mortals, if not magical practitioners (impossible to know if they were wizard status or not, but seems reasonable that some probably were) surely would have been sacrificed to add power to the Courts, or whatever preceded them. It's hard to know how old that Table in Tir Na Nog is. Quite possibly it dates back to ancient Egyptian times...perhaps even before that.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 03:45:11 AM »
Or her sacrificing Harry on the table to try to get his starborn power. Either way, not good for him, and I didn't see anything saying no wizard ever had been sacrificed there. So it might be moot if we're correct.

Yeah I was mistaken about that part