Author Topic: About foci and enchanted items.  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Jhunku

• Lurker
    • View Profile
About foci and enchanted items.
« on: June 04, 2021, 06:25:04 PM »
I do not understand how are foci classified. Are they similar to enchanted stuff, where you have to recharge the enchantment intermittently? Or are they different cause they channel magic, rather than storing it and being changed by it?

Also, if foci are something totally different than enchanted stuff, then what will the Warden's swords be considered, because they can channel magic? Are the "cutting-through-enchantments" stuff a property of its enchanting, or do the enchantments only help in building up the anti-magic property of the swords? If the Warden's swords can be considered enchanted stuff, then so the magic get recharged when the Wardens channel magic through it?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: About foci and enchanted items.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 04:01:33 AM »
I do not understand how are foci classified. Are they similar to enchanted stuff, where you have to recharge the enchantment intermittently? Or are they different cause they channel magic, rather than storing it and being changed by it?

Also, if foci are something totally different than enchanted stuff, then what will the Warden's swords be considered, because they can channel magic? Are the "cutting-through-enchantments" stuff a property of its enchanting, or do the enchantments only help in building up the anti-magic property of the swords? If the Warden's swords can be considered enchanted stuff, then so the magic get recharged when the Wardens channel magic through it?

Hey Jhunku, welcome to the group.  As I understand it, a magical foci is a magical item that is designed to help a wizard focus their magic, to help them control it.  The most experienced wizards don't use them very much, consider them tools for "kids" according to Jim.

An enchanted item is different.  Harry's leather duster for example had been enchanted to protect him from things without him needing to think about it.  It's an item that has magic that's designed to work without the wizard needing to think about it.  A wizard could enchant something, and leave it somewhere for a purpose, and it will work even if the wizard is a thousand miles away.

Jim has designed it so that enchantments don't usually last long because the sun rising has a way of washing them away.  A fresh start I guess you could say.  A wizards tools also require constant care.  Jim said that Harry has to spend about 20 hours a week keeping his tools in working order.  This prevents a wizard from having a magical arsenal because they have a finite amount of time to keep their tools up and working.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 07:33:14 AM »
Hey Jhunku, welcome to the group.  As I understand it, a magical foci is a magical item that is designed to help a wizard focus their magic, to help them control it.  The most experienced wizards don't use them very much, consider them tools for "kids" according to Jim.

An enchanted item is different.  Harry's leather duster for example had been enchanted to protect him from things without him needing to think about it.  It's an item that has magic that's designed to work without the wizard needing to think about it.  A wizard could enchant something, and leave it somewhere for a purpose, and it will work even if the wizard is a thousand miles away.

Jim has designed it so that enchantments don't usually last long because the sun rising has a way of washing them away.  A fresh start I guess you could say.  A wizards tools also require constant care.  Jim said that Harry has to spend about 20 hours a week keeping his tools in working order.  This prevents a wizard from having a magical arsenal because they have a finite amount of time to keep their tools up and working.
Unless they're willing to pay up for proper materials, Harry's poor by choice so he has to keep maintaining them. Bob spells this out in Blood Rites.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:56:10 PM »
Unless they're willing to pay up for proper materials, Harry's poor by choice so he has to keep maintaining them. Bob spells this out in Blood Rites.

I'd imagine he'd still need to do some maintenance, just not as much and as often.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.