Author Topic: The Blackstaff picks his successor.......  (Read 9171 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: The Blackstaff picks his successor.......
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 05:56:58 AM »
Because of it's nature, the Blackstaff is a weapon Harry wouldn't want to use most of the time.  So I don't think it would make him overpowered.  Here's a quote from Changes that explains what I mean: "The Blackstaff itself pulsed and shimmered with shadowy power, and I got the sudden sense that the thing was alive, that it knew its purpose and wanted nothing more than to be used, as often and as spectacularly as possible." 

This was moments after Eb had just killed about 200 mortal gunman with it.  Harry wouldn't want to use the Blackstaff unless it was absolutely necessary. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
Because of it's nature, the Blackstaff is a weapon Harry wouldn't want to use most of the time.  So I don't think it would make him overpowered.  Here's a quote from Changes that explains what I mean: "The Blackstaff itself pulsed and shimmered with shadowy power, and I got the sudden sense that the thing was alive, that it knew its purpose and wanted nothing more than to be used, as often and as spectacularly as possible." 

This was moments after Eb had just killed about 200 mortal gunman with it.  Harry wouldn't want to use the Blackstaff unless it was absolutely necessary.

It also makes clear that not only does the holder have to have integrity and judgement to use it, but a strong will to resist using it..  The latter Harry has in spades if nothing else.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 01:18:34 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but what would happen if Harry used the Blackstaff as the shaft for the spear of Destiny? Do we get the Lance in it's original form or would Harry accidentally restart reality?
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but what would happen if Harry used the Blackstaff as the shaft for the spear of Destiny? Do we get the Lance in it's original form or would Harry accidentally restart reality?
Seems to be a fun question to ask Jim in the next Q&A :)

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »

Hard to get one's head around that, however if Harry continues to show he can be responsible when to use and not use something [the Spear] that makes him one of the most powerful beings on Earth, I'd say he could handle the Blackstaff.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
I just want to know if it intercepts black magic backlash, or removes the effect from the user.

Because the latter would change Harry by removing the existing taint on himself and his magic.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »
I think it just eats it before it enters you.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
I just want to know if it intercepts black magic backlash, or removes the effect from the user.

Because the latter would change Harry by removing the existing taint on himself and his magic.

Well, looking at Eb at the later moments of BG, it might not be Eb's magic. It might be MW. Harry commented on a shadow of a hag enveloping him. So maybe either Eb pushes his magic into it and the staff turns it into MW's magic or the staff is the embodiment of her power and he channels it and pushes it out.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 04:38:19 PM »
Hard to get one's head around that, however if Harry continues to show he can be responsible when to use and not use something [the Spear] that makes him one of the most powerful beings on Earth, I'd say he could handle the Blackstaff.

Between Bonnie, Bob, the Artefacts, Demonreach, the Mantle, and his pixie army you could argue he's one of the most powerful humans with free will. Part of what makes the White Council's paranoia of Harry hilarious to me is that he already has the knowledge to trigger some class of apocalypse if he wanted and likely before they could respond. Harry is just actually a good guy who likes the world as it is.

Well, looking at Eb at the later moments of BG, it might not be Eb's magic. It might be MW. Harry commented on a shadow of a hag enveloping him. So maybe either Eb pushes his magic into it and the staff turns it into MW's magic or the staff is the embodiment of her power and he channels it and pushes it out.

Maybe MW takes the brunt of the black magic? She's already ruthless so it doesn't make a difference to her. It still looked like Eb actually had to put some weight into it to do anything (in Changes, PT, and BG).
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:53 AM »
I don't think McCoy is going to be around much longer.  Jim laid a lot of hints that McCoy is slowing down and having trouble -- breathing hard, face turning red and purple, liver spots, birthdays in four centuries. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
The Blackstaff is really an idiot stick, a long piece of wood with an idiot on the end.

I think we are going to see And Eb v Harry rematch, but Blackstaff v Spear of Destiny this time. Neither drew on these reserves in their previous battle, but The Spear would prevail, especially in using the Blackstaff against The Winter Knight.

I wonder though, could you use the Eye with the Blackstaff. A wizards Staff Has a Knob On The End after all, could PT and BG JUST been Jim setting that gag up? Eb dies using the eye on the Blackstaff fuelled by his hate of Vampires.

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
I wonder though, could you use the Eye with the Blackstaff. A wizards Staff Has a Knob On The End after all, could PT and BG JUST been Jim setting that gag up? Eb dies using the eye on the Blackstaff fuelled by his hate of Vampires.
Interesting theory but he would somehow have to infiltrate Demonreach to do it. Harry's not going to be taking it out of the island's vault any time soon.  I doubt old Ebenezar is stronger or more skilled than Merlin - the Original Merlin - himself, so it would have to be a pretty unique blind spot that would allow him access to the prison itself instead of simply standing on the island's surface.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
Interesting theory but he would somehow have to infiltrate Demonreach to do it. Harry's not going to be taking it out of the island's vault any time soon.  I doubt old Ebenezar is stronger or more skilled than Merlin - the Original Merlin - himself, so it would have to be a pretty unique blind spot that would allow him access to the prison itself instead of simply standing on the island's surface.

Eb has the journals though. There may be details of a Way into Demonreach's vault or a way to access the vaults remotely hidden deep in there. (Unlikely, but possible).

That said, if you were to put the Eye on the Blackstaff it would probably help protect the wearer from the awful side effects of a hate-based radiation machine (or it could draw on Mother Winter's which may be worse?)
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
Eb has the journals though. There may be details of a Way into Demonreach's vault or a way to access the vaults remotely hidden deep in there. (Unlikely, but possible).

That said, if you were to put the Eye on the Blackstaff it would probably help protect the wearer from the awful side effects of a hate-based radiation machine (or it could draw on Mother Winter's which may be worse?)

True, he does have the original Merlin's journals.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »
True, he does have the original Merlin's journals.
If they are still readable and he can read the old language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Aneirin

Still difficult to translate by modern professionals and then you have to find out what is actually ment because a lot of context is gone. And this is not a seventh century original and it was carefully written down.

Now the cursive notes of a wizard in the seventh century.
SH[Elaine+++]