Author Topic: Are Fae Queens still mortals?  (Read 8703 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Are Fae Queens still mortals?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »
That's an interesting theory. And it fits a bit. Considering part of the whole deal with the Elves immortality was that once their physical bodies died they died for good, whereas Men got to live on in the Halls of Mandos (I think).

Men spent some time in Mandos then passed beyond.

Elves spent time in Mandos meditating upon their deeds, good and bad, and once they had repented enough, they were released by reincarnation into identical physical bodies within Valinor. So it's like a combination of Purgatory+Reincarnation.

As far as I am aware, Tolkien dithered on whether only Felagund and Glorfindel among the Exiles were re-embodied, or whether only Feanor was trapped due to Feanor's inability to repent.

In Valinor, it is implied their bodies don't suffer the diminuation they see in Middle Earth.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 08:44:26 PM »
Men spent some time in Mandos then passed beyond.

Elves spent time in Mandos meditating upon their deeds, good and bad, and once they had repented enough, they were released by reincarnation into identical physical bodies within Valinor. So it's like a combination of Purgatory+Reincarnation.

As far as I am aware, Tolkien dithered on whether only Felagund and Glorfindel among the Exiles were re-embodied, or whether only Feanor was trapped due to Feanor's inability to repent.

In Valinor, it is implied their bodies don't suffer the diminuation they see in Middle Earth.

I think his big thing was Luthien and Beren.  Talk about choices..

Of Luthien and Beren from The Silmarillion, she had the choice to go to Valimar, but here, Beren could not go so...

For it was not permitted to the Valar to withhold Death from him, which is the gift of Iluvator to Men.  But the other choice was this: that she might return to Middle-earth, and with her Beren, there to dwell again, but without certitude of life or joy.  Then she'd become mortal, and subject to a second death, even as he; and ere long she would leave the world for ever, and her beauty would only become only a memory in song.

Thus she was the only elf to truly die until Arwen gave up her heritage to wed Aragorn.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 07:00:24 PM »
I think his big thing was Luthien and Beren.  Talk about choices..

Of Luthien and Beren from The Silmarillion, she had the choice to go to Valimar, but here, Beren could not go so...

Thus she was the only elf to truly die until Arwen gave up her heritage to wed Aragorn.
I think that's underselling Elros.