Author Topic: Excalibur in Mirror Mirror  (Read 2001 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Excalibur in Mirror Mirror
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:39:17 PM »
So in Peace Talks it sounds as though the Swords *may* have an Angel in them, or at the very least, loaded with angelic power.  Angels can fall, and become dark.  I'm wondering if the events in Mirror Mirror will be in part that where Harry's Choice led to Mavra using the Sword to kill an innocent, to force it to spill innocent blood.  The result is that the Sword falls, and becomes a weapon of darkness.  Instead of leveling the playing field to slay the enemy it does the opposite and empowers the person looking to fight good.

It would be interesting to see the Sword instead of bright light it's shrouded in a dark mist. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur in Mirror Mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:12:01 PM »
If a Sword could make Harry drop it when he was about to misuse it on Leah(hardy a pillar of virtue and goodness but not outright evil) and one could burn Susan when she was a half-vamp then the flare from Mavra picking one up should be like staring at a nuclear bomb with nightvision goggles on and I doubt Mavra would survive it.

Angels only fall by their choice, an act of rebellion against the WG. That's why Uriel giving his grace to Michael in SG was such a big deal. Just taking the risk that Michael could misuse the power was enough to invoke choice. The angels in the Swords haven't to date taken those chances. Case in point, while it would have been a net good if Murphy had cut off Nic's head on Michael's lawn, the Sword would/could not allow itself to be used wrongly and was broken as a result.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:52:36 AM »
If a Sword could make Harry drop it when he was about to misuse it on Leah(hardy a pillar of virtue and goodness but not outright evil) and one could burn Susan when she was a half-vamp then the flare from Mavra picking one up should be like staring at a nuclear bomb with nightvision goggles on and I doubt Mavra would survive it.

Angels only fall by their choice, an act of rebellion against the WG. That's why Uriel giving his grace to Michael in SG was such a big deal. Just taking the risk that Michael could misuse the power was enough to invoke choice. The angels in the Swords haven't to date taken those chances. Case in point, while it would have been a net good if Murphy had cut off Nic's head on Michael's lawn, the Sword would/could not allow itself to be used wrongly and was broken as a result.
Mavra did pick it up at the party but I do agree, the main result wouldn't be fallen angel it would be the sword broken beyond repair.

All around me, vampires dropped their wineglasses, slid out of their jackets, bared their scarlet-smeared fangs in slow smiles to me. Bianca started laughing, up above me, as Mavra opened the case and withdrew Amoracchius. The sword seemed to almost chime with an angry sound as the vampire touched it, but Mavra only sneered down at the blade as she lifted the sword.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »
Mavra did pick it up at the party but I do agree, the main result wouldn't be fallen angel it would be the sword broken beyond repair.

You're probably right.  However Michael did say the Sword was "vulnerable", and when Michael had Uriel's grace, he could have caused Uriel to fall, so even if the Angel doesn't make the decision themselves, they can fall.  Just as Uriel loaned Michael his grace, the Swords are on loan too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:29:12 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:32:06 AM »
The Swords aren't on loan. They are there in partnership with the Knight and always aware of how they being used. Mavra didn't try to use the Sword at the party, she just traded it to Bianca. It was vulnerable because it wasn't in the possession of a Knight and could be broken but I highly doubt it could be corrupted.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »
The Swords aren't on loan. They are there in partnership with the Knight and always aware of how they being used. Mavra didn't try to use the Sword at the party, she just traded it to Bianca. It was vulnerable because it wasn't in the possession of a Knight and could be broken but I highly doubt it could be corrupted.

Depends on how they work. Does the Angel loan its Grace to the blade?

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 12:42:01 AM »
Depends on how they work. Does the Angel loan its Grace to the blade?

So far, the Angel and the Sword have not been portrayed as being two distinct things. The Sword is a tool fused with the Angel and through it the Angel gives the Knight access to some of it's heavenly power. But the Angel is in control, not the Knight. The power is withdrawn as soon as a Knight begins to misuse it. Angels often take further control, such as Murphy's speech in Chichen Itza and Michael's in Marcone's vault.