Author Topic: Anyone gaming Dresden anymore?  (Read 14229 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
Re: Anyone gaming Dresden anymore?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 02:56:20 AM »
We tend to mix a little Constantine feel in with it
You're right! Constentine has a very similar feel to it. I've only seen the movie and haven't had a chance to read the graphic novels, but certainly the style of the supernatural seems pretty compatible.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Lizard King

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
You're right! Constentine has a very similar feel to it. I've only seen the movie and haven't had a chance to read the graphic novels, but certainly the style of the supernatural seems pretty compatible.

Not to de-rail or hijack this thread, but when you are in between DF books, look up some Constantine.  There are a couple of novels and dozens of graphic novels.  Very gritty, very harsh, but very very good.  I really recommend them. 

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
Not to de-rail or hijack this thread, but when you are in between DF books, look up some Constantine.  There are a couple of novels and dozens of graphic novels.  Very gritty, very harsh, but very very good.  I really recommend them.
Could you recommend any in particular? Whe I look on the shelf in my bookstore they seem to have several and I'd rather start with either (a) the "first" one to see how the series starts out, or (b) the best ones.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Lizard King

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
Could you recommend any in particular? Whe I look on the shelf in my bookstore they seem to have several and I'd rather start with either (a) the "first" one to see how the series starts out, or (b) the best ones.
I won't pretend to be an expert, but I definately have my opinion on the subject.  :) 
I think the most important thing to do is get the "feel" for Constantine.  It's a very character driven story to me, so while there is a big back history and a lot of continuity, I feel like it's more important to understand the character and his motives than to try to track back to the beginning.  (I also feel like the books have gotten better with time).  My recommendation is to find anything from Garth Ennis, Mike Carey, or Brian Azzarello.  I'm a relative late comer to the series, and I've been catching myself up through the graphic novels.  My favorite ones are "Hard Times", or "Dangerous Habits", for giving a great indepth look at what makes Constantine tick.  There are also two novels, "Warlord" and "Subterranean".  These are by a guy named John Shirley.  They are good for what they are, not quite as gritty as I prefer, but they were decent stories and I enjoyed them. 
All that said and done, the graphic novel "Original Sins" will start you at the beginning, and it's pretty damn good stuff. 

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 04:45:47 AM »
Thanks for the info. This gives me a starting point...  ;D
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline SusanR

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
Away from Constantine, back to the topic  ;D

I have just started a game based on NWoD Mage and we have a lot of fun. One of my players made an actual play thread about it in http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=376329

I made only minor adjustments to the rules:

The paths have different disadvantages, one being the technical breakdowns (for Obrimos), that adds more diversity. It also occured to me that in the books not all magical practicioners seem to suffer from it (Michael, Molly, Molly's Mom, the Necromancer, ...). On the other hand most White Counsel mages do, so I made the Obrimos the leading Force behind the White Counsel.

The Obrimos player does not have too much problems with the breakdowns, although they do occur a lot. No rolls so far, things just stop working when dramatically appropriate.

We also have a Changeling based on NWoD Changeling, which is kind of nice, but difficult to keep track of the different contracts and truthtelling. It also required the slight redefinition of the seasons. The way I play it now is kind of in the middle between Dresdenverse and NWoD.

I tweaked the Laws a bit to make the Mind and the Time arcana more viable. For example "Do not go against flow of time" now means that you should not change the past, to avoid loops and other uglinesses.

Well, the rest of the changes are spoilers to my players :-)

I can just say it works really well. Even Paradox and Disbelief fall in just naturally, although I first thought I would have to change them quite a bit too not get too much out of the Dresdenverse.