Author Topic: Are Fae Queens still mortals?  (Read 8840 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Are Fae Queens still mortals?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 08:02:20 PM »
Well the Sidhe were created specifically to watch the Outer Gates.  We also know they weren't the first to guard it.  I don't know if TWG was involved in their creation, or not. 

I believe that Jim used the Diablo creation myth as inspiration.  That being that there was a single Being that has always existed.  To achieve perfection he removed all negative qualities, but those negative qualities created it's own Being.  So there is TWG and his Angles vs , the Darkness which is made of the Old Ones, and Outsiders.  TWG created reality, and life within it.  He locked out the Outsiders (per words of Jim). 

My theory:  There were the mortals who interacted with both Angles, and demons, creating beings like vampires, naalagoshi (spelling?), and others.  Combining the power of belief, worship, and these interactions with Angles, and demons has resulted in supernatural beings, gods, sidhe, mantles, and wizards.

Are the Fae Queens still mortal?  Yes.  Strip away their mantles and they are flesh and blood that can be killed.  The Mantle will live on, but the person who had it will not.  Is the Mantle itself immortal?  I suspect not.  I believe it is a great deal of power that has been constructed, and can be potentially deconstructed by someone with enough power.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:08:54 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2021, 02:20:46 AM »
Well the Sidhe were created specifically to watch the Outer Gates.  We also know they weren't the first to guard it.  I don't know if TWG was involved in their creation, or not. 

I believe that Jim used the Diablo creation myth as inspiration.  That being that there was a single Being that has always existed.  To achieve perfection he removed all negative qualities, but those negative qualities created it's own Being.  So there is TWG and his Angles vs , the Darkness which is made of the Old Ones, and Outsiders.  TWG created reality, and life within it.  He locked out the Outsiders (per words of Jim). 

My theory:  There were the mortals who interacted with both Angles, and demons, creating beings like vampires, naalagoshi (spelling?), and others.  Combining the power of belief, worship, and these interactions with Angles, and demons has resulted in supernatural beings, gods, sidhe, mantles, and wizards.

Are the Fae Queens still mortal?  Yes.  Strip away their mantles and they are flesh and blood that can be killed.  The Mantle will live on, but the person who had it will not.  Is the Mantle itself immortal?  I suspect not.  I believe it is a great deal of power that has been constructed, and can be potentially deconstructed by someone with enough power.
I might have missed it, but when did Jim say he was using the Diablo creation myth? Or are you saying that's just your guess that he did?

At any rate, as intriguing as it is he has said a few things that might throw a spanner in that WAG. For instance, the Gods like Ethniu and Vadderung existed before time was invented, before the Universe was made (just like the Angels). They all seem to be peers or even relations. They all seem to know each other. So I don't see how the mortal interaction created them since they are FAR older than mortals. It appears to me more that mortals have merely renamed and therefore reshaped them a bit, which defines a bit of how they interact with the mortal world. Some gods like Vadderung choose to lessen themselves so that mortals can understand them better. But by and large it seems belief merely shapes the existing being, not that the being is created by mortals themselves.

I am pretty sure mortals in Diablo were also a creation of Lilith, the daughter of Mephisto (Lord of Hatred) and one of the Prime Evils. So even if Jim were using Diablo as his basis, it wouldn't really work to have mortals doing all the creating. I guess that's why there is a Creator in the first place.

I don't agree that the Fae Queens are mortal. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the difference between immortals and mortals is, not helped by the fact Jim has muddied the waters about it and not been clear on his definitions about them.

If you strip an immortal like a Fae Queen of immortality, they would no longer be the Fae Queen either. So the sentence becomes redundant. Mab is still Mab, but she would no longer be the Queen of Winter. She has be stripped of the Office. Think of it like a uniform. You are still you when you wear it, but when you wear a uniform you also become whatever that uniform represents - a solider, a medic, a police officer, a fireman etc. But the uniform is an idea. So even if it is destroyed, unless the entire institution that powers it is also destroyed then the holder of that uniform does not lose their position.

A mantle is energy. According to Einstein, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. While this position is hard to wrap your head around, it's actually quite self-evident. Everything that happens to energy is change. We know the energy of mantles can be stolen, as per Summer Knight. We know both from Summer Knight and from Cold Days that immortals actually often discard and re-acquire and steal energy. So in that sense, the mantle can be destroyed. But really what would happen is the energy of the mantle would be changed into something that the thief would use. What would be left is hard to say, but there is an interesting WOJ that hints at it.
Quote from: ballplayer72 on February 24, 2007, 01:42:52 PM
i am fairly certain, but not positive, that it is not possible to hold both Mantles at once.  Also i do not think that holding both was what Slade was planning.  Slade and the Summer Lady were planning on taking the Summer Knight out of the equation, and thus causing a war. During this war, the Summer Lady would be able to take Lily, the follower of Summer that she put the Mantle on, along with the Unraveling, and sacrifice her for Winter on the Stone Table, thus giving Winter the Energy  that went along with the Knight’s Mantle, not the Mantle itself. At least that was how i interpreted it.  The Stone Table doesnt transfer the actual thing that is Sacrificed on the Table from Summer to Winter and vice versa, but the energy and power that it holds.

JIM: Finger.  Nose.

Jim :)
So the mantle would still exist, but it would be a changed mantle. A mantle without the energy and the power, and likely without the knowledge that it once had. Just a strange shell perhaps. Like a coffee cup with the coffee taken out. A used thing. No longer what it was, but hints at it's origins.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. The tell to the truth that fae queens are mortals still is in Peace Talks.

Molly says she could cross the circle. But she'd leave the fae mantle behind. Since it's much more invasive than Harry's mantle, what came out on the other side wouldn't be 'right'. This makes sense since her mantle conveys immortality, and Harry's doesn't.

In Cold Days, Maeve was killed on Halloween, despite being an 'immortal'. Kringle comments later that Halloween is a day when mantles can be put on or discarded. It's the day when Vaddrung dons his Kringle mantle. That means on at least two days of the year, there's a width between the mortals wearing them and the mantles. Why two days you ask? Because Mab gave Harry a conditional suggestion in Battle Ground that if she should die that night, then Harry should kill Molly. It was the Summer Solstice, a cosmologically important day of the year. A day when 'the stars were aligned'.

The mantles are immortal. They convey that immortality to the mortals wearing them. But there are days when that protection is not absolute.

The fae queens are mortal.
The idea that immortals are beings that can never be killed under any circumstances is an outdated definition, and one that isn't relevant in the context of the series.

Mab says she IS immortal, not eternal. That's a quote from Battle Ground. You couldn't get any more canon than that.

I understand the confusion as the old definition is quite absolute. But it's an archaic definition, and not how Jim uses it in this series.

Also, Maeve was killed on Halloween because it was Halloween. Any other day she could have been killed and unless it was in a similar conjunction or with ancient and incredible power like the Eye of Balor, she would have returned.

Bob explains all this in Cold Days. As Harry muses, this is why the immortals make a big deal out of being essentially unkillable AND shut down anything that says otherwise. This is the big secret that only other immortals (by and large) seem to know. I can see how you got to the idea that the Summer Solstice is a similar conjunction to Halloween, but wouldn't the Winter Solstice also be one too? As far as we know, the only conjunction that allows immortals to be mortal is on Halloween. I don't think Mab was hinting that it needed to be done that night, I think she knows if Dresden wanted to do it he would find a way to do it. He did it to Maeve after all.

See my previous response above to groinkick about what happens to Fae Queens.

Couple of items on this.

1) None of the three Ladies we've seen get a mantle were Fey. Two were changelings (mortal+potential) one pure mortal. So full Fae being around may not "count" as far as the mantle is concerned- much like the Knights.
2) You are confusing/equating "choice" and "informed choice"- even so far as "fully informed choice." When a child doesn't eat peas, it doesn't mean they are rejecting their health benefits- it's a choice, not a fully informed one.

As I noted in my previous, this would explain the Sidhe requirement to tell the truth and their instinct to deceive anyway. If you ask the right question, they will clearly lay out the bargain. It is up to you to make good choices.

Not the modern European idea of selling, but the ancient Middle Eastern- if you unwind your silk and find that a yard in it was cotton, that's on you for paying for it, not the seller for deceiving you. Let the buyer beware and be wary. It's a more ancient idea of how selling and trading was done.
Agreed. Also, 'buyer beware' is very much still a legal principle today.

I also agree with your previous post - it's the chain of choices that Molly made that made her Winter Lady. It's not just one. The Angel of Death makes a big point about how it works in Ghost Story.

Choice plays such a big part in mortal affairs, that stripping someone of their free will by saddling them with a mantle seems sure to draw down the response of The White God.

Especially if we find out at the end that it was Hecate evading TWG's edict to give up their immortality or withdraw from the mortal world. My theory is that she did both, and didn't. We'll find out when Mother Winter (Hecate?) spills the beans.
The assumption you are making is that Molly was stripped of her Free Will. But she was not. She made all her choices uncompromised. She chose to train to be a wizard with Harry Dresden no less, she chose to be involved in his world, and to help him fight, and carry on his work, and train with his former teacher (Lea). No one made her go to Demonreach. No one made her choose all those previous choices that lead her there - the evidence of that is if that were the case Uriel and Co. would have intervened. Molly made herself a possible vessel of Winter, she changed herself through her own choices. And she never lost the choice to give up all her power either.

It's hard to assign blame in terms of Molly's early choices.  She didn't make them in a vacuum, she was pushed by someone.  Sandra Marling in point of fact.  Later in Skin Games Uriel will say this about Nic's henchmen, they didn't fall, they were pushed. Molly was caught up in a plot to kill Harry, that landed her at Arctis Tor.
We are all pushed around by others choices. No one lives in a vacuum. So each choice is influenced by the multitude of factors, including other people's choices, around us. Everyone makes their choices in those same conditions.

This is the "Sins of the Father" argument. The children bear the weight of everything their parents do. There's no way to make a fresh start and vendettas never end.
As I said to Morris, that's just the way it is. If you are struck by lightning whose fault is it? Generally it's your own fault for being outside where lightning might strike you. If you get injured, it's again your fault for not wearing the right equipment. If you take issue with that, you might want to take issue with Creation itself for having a world that has pain, evil, loss, death and taxes in it. But I disagree entirely with your conclusion. It is not impossible to make a fresh start. It requires enormous will and growth and energy. But people do it all the time anyway. Doesn't mean it always works out of course. Take Jesus for example. It doesn't read, as I understand it, that Jesus spent his life planning to be crucified. But he ended up there anyway due to the choices of others around him, and due to his own choices. But he accepted the consequences and bore it all the same. We cannot choose whether we are born or not, but we can choose what to do after that.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:35:52 AM by Yuillegan »
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2021, 03:19:41 AM »
And sometimes people can not even understand the choices they have to make because of a stray cosmic radiation that hit their mothers belly before they even were born.

Everything is a mixture between things you chose, things others chose and just natural randomness that can pop up anytime. Sometimes with a different recipe.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:34 AM »
I thought about that for a second and then said, “Jordan.” “And the other squires, yes,” Uriel said. “Why?” I asked. “They made their choices, too, didn’t they?” Uriel seemed to consider the question for a moment. “Some men fall from grace,” he said slowly. “Some are pushed.”

Butcher, Jim. Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files (p. 441). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Here's free will.  You're in a perfectly dark room that has been sown with land mines.  You have to cross the room to get out.  Good luck. That's free will in the ignorance of the outcome of your choices.

In terms of the OP's question Mab answers it in the text.
Mab did not turn around. When she spoke, her voice had something in it I had never heard there before and never heard again—uncertainty. Vulnerability. “I was mortal once, you know,” she said, very quietly.

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days (The Dresden Files, Book 14) (p. 513). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Implying that she is no longer human. Humans are born, grow old and die at the end of their natural lives.  Mab can be killed but she will never grow old and die.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2021, 08:27:23 AM »
Here's free will.  You're in a perfectly dark room that has been sown with land mines.  You have to cross the room to get out.  Good luck. That's free will in the ignorance of the outcome of your choices.

In terms of the OP's question Mab answers it in the text.Implying that she is no longer human. Humans are born, grow old and die at the end of their natural lives.  Mab can be killed but she will never grow old and die.
According to Mab’s definition of immortal. Maybe not everyone here uses the same definition.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »
Implying that she is no longer human. Humans are born, grow old and die at the end of their natural lives.  Mab can be killed but she will never grow old and die.

Which follows Tolkien's formula for the Elves.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »

In terms of the OP's question Mab answers it in the text. Implying that she is no longer human. Humans are born, grow old and die at the end of their natural lives.  Mab can be killed but she will never grow old and die.
Exactly so. That's all we get. And yes, Mab confirms it in multiple different ways that she is no longer mortal. I fail to see any evidence to the contrary...hopefully that's another argument solved.

According to Mab’s definition of immortal. Maybe not everyone here uses the same definition.
But the relevant definition is the one Jim uses. It's on the reader to be familiar with the terms in the text, and Jim has set out his parameters for immortality - even if they are not the definition that many understand 'immortal' to be.

Which follows Tolkien's formula for the Elves.
In a very loose sense. Tolkien's Elves, particularly those of the Second and Third Age, were not semi-divine creatures. They were touched by some of that nature, and were creatures of two worlds (just like Faeries in mythology, and similar to how Leanansidhe describes herself). But the Elves of the Second and Third Age were really just extremely long-lived. They didn't age or weaken past maturity, but their bodies were as susceptible to the vulnerabilities of the flesh as any other mortal. Basically humans that never aged.

This is not true of immortals in the Dresden Files. Immortals in the Dresden Files are not eternal, in fact I doubt anything is at all. Even the Universe ends eventually. But they are as close to eternal as most things can get. They don't age physically, they don't weaken. Even if their bodies (and generally magical defences) are breached and destroyed, they eventually will heal to full health. They will reform in time. It seems they are only vulnerable in highly unique circumstances, but by and large they cannot be killed. Immortals are not merely mortals that do not age, but beings that are locked in stasis. They are fixed points. They are unable to change who and what they are. This grants them power and protection, yet also seems to have purpose. But they lack the real freedom to really change things. Immortals are separate beings to mortals, a whole different type of creature. There is almost something elemental about them.

I would say the White Court are far more similar in their nigh-immortality to Tolkien's elves. Or perhaps the Bigfoot types.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 11:25:00 AM »
It's your book when you read it and you can define it however you wish.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
He could also be wrong to. Freedom of choice means freedom to be wrong. You could define the word "fish" to mean "bear" in your own head. But I doubt anyone else will agree with you or know what you are talking about.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 12:37:02 PM »
But until every idee agrees on the definitions used communication will be difficult and inevitably leads to misunderstandings.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
Let's agree that Uriel is immortal as long as he retains his grace.

Harry's already been halfway to the other side, a soul is immortal.

Being unaging and naturally deathless is not the same as immortal. Mab is not immortal. She was not born immortal. She became immortal when she took up a fae mantle.

I'll refer you back to Bob's words in Cold Days. After about a decade, the person is lost behind the mantle. We've seen glimmers of this with Molly. Maeve entered Harry's birthday party bucky bare-assed. Molly did her "Welcome to the Jungle" entrance in Battle Ground clad only in frost. I'll be interested to see if Molly starts taking on Maeve's crazy, cock-tease personality.

Mab has been the Winter Queen for almost a thousand years. The mortal Mab can only peek out from behind the mantle on the Summer Solstice, when Winter has its weakest hold on her. She is mostly mantle at this point. Very little of Mab remains, on a day-to-day basis. But there has to be something left. Perhaps that's why the prior Summer Mother resigned?

In any event, Butcher's going to tell this tale sooner or later.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »
Maeve was still that insufferable bitch ignoring her job and being Maeve after more than a century. Bob is not completely right.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 05:34:16 PM »
Well, my post was straight out of the dictionary and in line with the text.  Which is not to say that Jim doesn't imagine it differently.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 10:33:31 PM »
In a very loose sense. Tolkien's Elves, particularly those of the Second and Third Age, were not semi-divine creatures. They were touched by some of that nature, and were creatures of two worlds (just like Faeries in mythology, and similar to how Leanansidhe describes herself). But the Elves of the Second and Third Age were really just extremely long-lived. They didn't age or weaken past maturity, but their bodies were as susceptible to the vulnerabilities of the flesh as any other mortal. Basically humans that never aged.

It is a little more complicated than that, the Elves of Middle Earth were exiles in a sense because they rebelled.  The didn't weaken or age past maturity, however when the power of the Rings was broken they wearied of Middle Earth, repented and sailed into the West, where they lived on.  They were no humans that never aged, though the children of Elrod could chose their fate to go into the West or remain in Middle Earth and live and die as mortals, Arwen chose this fate as did her two brothers.  The Elves of the Greenwood save for Legolas did not tire of Middle Earth and go into the West.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:38 AM »
It is a little more complicated than that, the Elves of Middle Earth were exiles in a sense because they rebelled.  The didn't weaken or age past maturity, however when the power of the Rings was broken they wearied of Middle Earth, repented and sailed into the West, where they lived on.  They were no humans that never aged, though the children of Elrod could chose their fate to go into the West or remain in Middle Earth and live and die as mortals, Arwen chose this fate as did her two brothers.  The Elves of the Greenwood save for Legolas did not tire of Middle Earth and go into the West.
But you miss the point. The Elves of Middle Earth never had any sort of special invulnerability, apart from the fact their bodies didn't age. First Age Elves were more like Faeries and were strong enough in some cases to fight Balrogs (Fallen Angels/Lesser Spirits), and even the Tolkien equivalent of Archangels/Gods/Greater Spirits (Valar) such as when Fingolfin fought Morgoth and lost. The Elves while of a different race, were not the same as Ainur. Ainur were the spirits made of the Greater (Valar) and the Lesser (Maiar). This difference between beings of the world like Elves, Men and Dwarves and the Ainur is the same difference between mortals and immortals in the Dresden Files.

But until every idee agrees on the definitions used communication will be difficult and inevitably leads to misunderstandings.
Exactly, and it's on us to understand what definition is relevant. When Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings he based many of his creatures and characters from mythology of our world. But when reading the books, it would be quite absurd to imagine the Elves of Middle Earth are the same Elves from Norse mythology, or the Dwarves etc. Tolkien created his own mythology, and made his own definition for certain words. So has Jim.

Well, my post was straight out of the dictionary and in line with the text.  Which is not to say that Jim doesn't imagine it differently.
As above, what's relevant is Jim's definition.

Let's agree that Uriel is immortal as long as he retains his grace.

Harry's already been halfway to the other side, a soul is immortal.

Being unaging and naturally deathless is not the same as immortal. Mab is not immortal. She was not born immortal. She became immortal when she took up a fae mantle.

I'll refer you back to Bob's words in Cold Days. After about a decade, the person is lost behind the mantle. We've seen glimmers of this with Molly. Maeve entered Harry's birthday party bucky bare-assed. Molly did her "Welcome to the Jungle" entrance in Battle Ground clad only in frost. I'll be interested to see if Molly starts taking on Maeve's crazy, cock-tease personality.

Mab has been the Winter Queen for almost a thousand years. The mortal Mab can only peek out from behind the mantle on the Summer Solstice, when Winter has its weakest hold on her. She is mostly mantle at this point. Very little of Mab remains, on a day-to-day basis. But there has to be something left. Perhaps that's why the prior Summer Mother resigned?

In any event, Butcher's going to tell this tale sooner or later.
I see the problem. When you talk of 'Mab' you are referring to the person underneath the mantle of Queen of Air and Darkness, yes? I suppose that's a fair way to do it although as we know Mab is not in fact her real name. Seeing as we don't have that name, using 'Mab' is probably as good as anything. But saying 'Mab' is mortal is entirely different from saying the Queen of Air and Darkness is mortal.

To put it another way, let's say you take an Office. You become the Mayor. You don't stop being a citizen of the country you live in, you don't stop being you. But you are also no longer JUST you. You have become something else, something more. You hold rank. The Mayor as a position has made you into something beyond a regular citizen. So you can't just be a citizen either, you can no longer say "It's not my fault that the roads are bad, I'm just a citizen" because you now have the responsibility to look after roads (assuming local government looks after roads in this case).

So 'Mab' is no longer mortal. She took the Office of Winter Lady, and ended up renouncing her mortality. She chose to take on that power and responsibility, and seemingly has done a fairly good job. But she isn't whoever actually took that office originally. Sure, some of that person remains. Perhaps it's most obvious when things get personal with her (I suspect that's why she tries to keep things as impersonal as possible). But unless she were to renounce her Office and presumably all her power with that, she would remain an immortal. And if she did renounce (based on the evidence of the Red Court half-vampires) she would die not long after she gave up her power. The power has transformed her. It would take a transformation to go back, even assuming she could or would. '

Any such transformation from immortal to mortal and vice versa would be significant. When Uriel chose to become mortal by giving his grace to Michael Carpenter, he was transformed into a human being. In no way was this more obvious in that he bled when Harry accidentally punched him.

I think that because 'Mab' and 'Queen of Winter/Winter Queen/Queen of Air and Darkness' are used interchangeably, when people say Mab is immortal they don't mean the person who took the Office, they don't mean whoever she was beneath her power. If they did, you could say that about literally any being with power. Underneath, they are their original self. But it's not like Russian dolls. It's more like combining flour and water and yeast etc to make bread. 'Mab' is no more the person that she was than bread is the flour it was made of, it's something more. Something new and better than the some of it's parts, in most ways.