Poll

The title of the thread says it all.  What would you; the reader, like to see happen to the little rat?

Rudolph should confess or be convicted, then sentenced to 25 to life and disappear from the series.
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should beat the rap, so that his real punishment can be something far worse. (Which might involve some of the other scenarios.)
5 (19.2%)
Rudolph should ask for forgiveness and find redemption, perhaps becoming a KotC.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should take up one of the Blackened Denarii, in an attempt to get even with Harry who he blames for everything..
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph should die, but in some odd, seemingly random, but probably not accidental, Final Destination manner, as a way of balancing the scales.
3 (11.5%)
Rudolph works with the Librarians after losing his CPD job.  As an asset; someone they get information out of, and maybe work with in the field, though not an actual member.  Then something really bad happens to him.
1 (3.8%)
Rudolph should - Fill in the blank.  Whatever you think should happen.
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 07, 2021, 08:01:55 PM

Author Topic: What should happen to Rudolph?  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What should happen to Rudolph?
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »
Dunno how, but just send him to jail or other protective custody, he's gonna be ever more insane as reality becomes ever more supernatural. And it's starting to strain credibility that such an obvious lickspittle gets good enough at sucking up to survive it all.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2021, 06:53:00 AM »

I never liked Westly. I just wanted him to go away. He eventually did by going to Starfleet Academy and making some poor choices. Rudolph, I would like to see him pay for all the bad he has done.
I did not hate Wesley either, it was just an example, a character  "universally" hated.(The Harry Potter examples were true to my feelings, though).

Mira et al, Harry was specifically trying to play with Rudolph to make him pay, so he was not going to kill him fast. And he was using his shield, so magic was involved. He did not just shoot Rudolph in a burst of rage. Anyways, Mira is right, Harry wouldn't have forgiven himself, even if laws (vanilla or magical) could.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
Mira et al, Harry was specifically trying to play with Rudolph to make him pay, so he was not going to kill him fast. And he was using his shield, so magic was involved. He did not just shoot Rudolph in a burst of rage. Anyways, Mira is right, Harry wouldn't have forgiven himself, even if laws (vanilla or magical) could.

Everyone, even saints have their breaking point, not just that, but it had been building for a while because of Rudolph's stupidity and paranoia that finally ended in Murphy's death.  So Harry totally lost it, but I agree, not so much that he killed him instantly.  The first is understandable and forgivable, the second isn't because it isn't Harry's place to dish out justice.  It is like the time when Harry stopped Michael from beating the guy who kidnapped his daughter to death with a baseball bat.  Michael's rage is understandable and forgivable, however killing him wasn't.  I think if that bat had been a Holy Sword, even Michael would have gotten burnt..

Offline smforbes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 02:33:16 AM »
TBH, I doubt there will be any kind of reckoning inside the justice system or a court of law.  As others have pointed out, no body, no case.  And, setting personal preferences aside, depending on if/how/when Murphy comes back, it might be hard to convince people that she is/was actually dead versus presumed dead in legal terms.

That being said, I think there will be some kind of reckoning, whether it's with a baseball bat like Snakeboy or something of the more supernatural variety.  I'm personally not in favor of a redemption arc for him, but I won't lose any sleep if he gets one.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 05:26:44 AM »
What happens to Rudolph depends on whether Jim wants to favour retribution or redemption mostly.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »
What happens to Rudolph depends on whether Jim wants to favour retribution or redemption mostly.

Oh I don't think it matters much what happens to Rudolph, it is about how Harry reacts to what happens to Rudolph, that matters.  What is real redemption for Rudolph?  He cannot undo what his careless paranoia did to Murphy.. How does he atone for that and to whom? If to Harry, can he forgive him and mean it? Or if Rudolph is punished for it, no matter what form that takes, will Harry feel a sense of satisfaction for justice served?  Or pity for a mad man? Or no pity because he killed his love? Then if he feels either can Harry forgive himself for feeling it? 

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »
  Oh I don't think it matters much what happens to Rudolph, it is about how Harry reacts to what happens to Rudolph, that matters.  What is real redemption for Rudolph?  He cannot undo what his careless paranoia did to Murphy.. How does he atone for that and to whom? If to Harry, can he forgive him and mean it? Or if Rudolph is punished for it, no matter what form that takes, will Harry feel a sense of satisfaction for justice served?  Or pity for a mad man? Or no pity because he killed his love? Then if he feels either can Harry forgive himself for feeling it?

That is likely the correct answer out of all of this. I can imagine Harry and Michael having a chat on the porch over this one. Especially if someone from Winter (the Redcap is my new pick) does the deed as a wedding present.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
either he should be redeemed, and do something useful, or go full bad, and get destroyed.  If he goes bad I think becoming a Black Court vamp, or better yet takes up a Coin would be a good way for him to get wasted.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
Congratulated for removing a character that had grown tiresome and then sewn into a sack of starving weasels and thrown into the Chicago River, because reasons....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
Congratulated for removing a character that had grown tiresome and then sewn into a sack of starving weasels and thrown into the Chicago River, because reasons....

Except he lands on an old barge, so instead of drowning mercifully, he is eaten by the weasels.. Who claw their way out of the sack and are promptly sick...