Author Topic: Mavra and necromancy. Will anyone on the Council be curious about that?  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Mavra and necromancy. Will anyone on the Council be curious about that?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
Depression or no depression, it was still him turning up to a meeting after causing the single largest loss of life for the White Council ever inflicted by an enemy in nothing but a bathrobe and showing that he didn't even bother to learn Latin fully. Bad first impressions stick.

Wait a minute, it was in Summer Knight that he showed up in a bathrobe, a lot died at the party in Grave Peril, he hadn't caused the single largest loss of life ever inflicted on the enemy for the Council at that point. So showing up in a robe covered in cat puke would have been better?  Harry hasn't shown himself to
be a genius in learning languages, ever try to take a course by correspondence? 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
Wait a minute, it was in Summer Knight that he showed up in a bathrobe, a lot died at the party in Grave Peril, he hadn't caused the single largest loss of life ever inflicted on the enemy for the Council at that point. So showing up in a robe covered in cat puke would have been better?  Harry hasn't shown himself to
be a genius in learning languages, ever try to take a course by correspondence?
"Yes," he said, still remote. "Ortega killed more of the White Council than any enemy in our history during the attack at Archangel." His voice faltered for a moment. "He killed Simon. My friend. Then he came here and tried to kill you, Hoss. And he was coming back here to finish the job as soon as he recovered. So I hit Casaverde. Killed him and almost two hundred of his personal retainers. And I killed nearly a hundred people there in the house with them. Servants. Followers. Food."
The Archangel assault was a pretty big deal even if the events of Dead Beat blew it out of the water and as far as the WC was concerned it could be laid at Dresden's feet for starting a war, and then he showed that in the decade+ since he heard about the WC he never tried to get fluent in Latin despite presumably having more comprehensive options than a correspondence course.

The robes were just another nail in the coffin after that.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
The Archangel assault was a pretty big deal even if the events of Dead Beat blew it out of the water and as far as the WC was concerned it could be laid at Dresden's feet for starting a war, and then he showed that in the decade+ since he heard about the WC he never tried to get fluent in Latin despite presumably having more comprehensive options than a correspondence course.

The robes were just another nail in the coffin after that.

Except Harry didn't have anything to do with the attack on Archangel. That was on Eb, his decision to attack after Simon was killed.  Eb may have used Harry as part of his justification, but Harry had nothing to do with it.

Um, Latin isn't exactly something you can take a "conversational" course in unlike Spanish or some other languages.  There is a difference, some classes concentrate on the written and people can take more than one year of say French but never be able to speak it well.  Since Latin isn't spoken anymore, it would be difficult without help to be fluent.  Also do not dismiss how depressed Harry was, he could have used both medication and therapy..  Being that depressed, he isn't going to give a damn what the Council thought of his bathrobe.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 06:30:34 PM »
Except Harry didn't have anything to do with the attack on Archangel. That was on Eb, his decision to attack after Simon was killed.  Eb may have used Harry as part of his justification, but Harry had nothing to do with it.

Umm, what? The attack on Archangel had everything to do with Harry, it was the Red Court's opening strike of the war Harry started. It's where Simon was killed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:24:44 PM by forumghost »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58:29 PM »
Umm, what? The attack on Archangel had everything to do with Harry, it was the Red Court's opening strike of the war Harry started. It's where Simon was killed.

No, it had nothing to do with Harry, he was merely an excuse.  The Red Court was going to strike Archangel anyway, and as Shiro pointed out, prematurely.  Harry didn't start any war that the Red Court wasn't already chomping at the bit to fight anyway. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 12:48:46 AM »
No, it had nothing to do with Harry, he was merely an excuse.  The Red Court was going to strike Archangel anyway, and as Shiro pointed out, prematurely.  Harry didn't start any war that the Red Court wasn't already chomping at the bit to fight anyway. 

Yeah, but the White Council doesn't know that.

As far as they're aware, all those people got killed because Harry murdered a foreign dignitary while serving as their representative.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 04:22:57 AM »

As far as they're aware, all those people got killed because Harry murdered a foreign dignitary while serving as their representative.

That was years ago...  Who knows what they discovered after the Red Court was vanquished...  There had to have been so much intelligence they were able to obtain at Red Court strongholds.  Intelligence that would have shown them that the Reds had been quietly planning the war.  Shiro knew about it, I'd imagine the Council would have figured it out too. 

I'm not saying Harry would have been given any kind of congratulations or anything.  Only that they would have realized that Harry had set things off early, and it saved their bacon in the long run.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:27:18 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
That was years ago...  Who knows what they discovered after the Red Court was vanquished...  There had to have been so much intelligence they were able to obtain at Red Court strongholds.  Intelligence that would have shown them that the Reds had been quietly planning the war.  Shiro knew about it, I'd imagine the Council would have figured it out too. 

I'm not saying Harry would have been given any kind of congratulations or anything.  Only that they would have realized that Harry had set things off early, and it saved their bacon in the long run.
We're talking about the white council as of Summer Knight, not any time after.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 04:53:12 AM »
We're talking about the white council as of Summer Knight, not any time after.

Oh my bad.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »

They could have investigated, and Bianca died after the party, no one directly died because she did.  Also it wasn't Harry that killed her but the ghosts of her own victims..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 05:13:52 AM »
They could have investigated,
The white council never investigates when they have an easy answer that suits them.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
The white council never investigates when they have an easy answer that suits them.

Which says it was political from the start, which it was.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »
They could have investigated, and Bianca died after the party, no one directly died because she did.  Also it wasn't Harry that killed her but the ghosts of her own victims..
Bianca died after the party because Harry went after her again (a second offence on top of burning the party) and refused to take the option to avoid war.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 08:50:23 PM »
Bianca died after the party because Harry went after her again (a second offence on top of burning the party) and refused to take the option to avoid war.

He was trying to save Susan..  It was a bit of a set up because Bianca blamed Harry for Rachel's death.. When it was Bianca that fed upon her till death.  Mavra was really behind it, Bianca was really second rate with delusions of grandeur.  Nor did the Red Court seriously think that Harry would accept their "compromise,"  they wanted war.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2021, 11:52:51 PM »

I wonder if things would have been different if Harry instructed the Council to kick him out, and blame him entirely for what happened.  I wonder if the Red Court would have still went to war, claiming the Council was behind it.

I suspect that someone has been manipulating everyone.  The Council, the Red Court, Harry..  They have been pulling strings for a long time in order to get to Dresden.  To force him into the position of accepting a deal of some kind.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:54:50 PM by groinkick »