Author Topic: Molly's new magic  (Read 7086 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Molly's new magic
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »
That wasn't a display of magical ability on his part. That was him piggybacking off the Red Courts own Ritual.

Again, not a matter of Skill. Harry himself acknowledges that it was just a matter of having the juice to do it.

The White Council fears him because of his Reputation, his Tendency to run with the Bad guys, and his propensity to make monumentally dumb decisions and somehow live past them.

So do I. Mostly because Molly would never expect it. You don't need to be skilled to suckerpunch a young woman that has been pining over you for a decade.

Looks at Mab, Titania, Odin, The Erlking, The Winter Lady, an Army of Fae, Two Knight of the Cross, several Senior Members of the White Council, The Archive, The Queen of the White Court, a Couple Valkyries, a Bigfoot, and a Knight of the Blackened Denarius

Right... "Solo"

Yeah, too bad he never does anything useful with it.

Of these, only Little Chicago is actually a testament to his magical skills, and that was used about twice ever, and only worked because someone else sneaked into his lab to grade his work for him.

Jim said that Harry is one of the best wizards in the world at creating magical objects.  He's Senior Council member good at it...  So when it comes to making things like his shield bracelet, blasting rod, rings, and Little Chicago, he's doing things most wizards can't.  So when it comes to that area of magic, he is world class.

Those things take time, and money to create, and maintain. Harry has been seriously busy for years...  Now that he's got a Castle, and said it's time he started practicing again, I expect some cool shit in future books.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:42:37 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »
I mean if by seriously busy you mean "literally spent 18 months on an Island practicing parkour" then his schedule has been pretty tight, yeah.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 10:38:38 PM »
Jim said that Harry is one of the best wizards in the world at creating magical objects.  He's Senior Council member good at it...  So when it comes to making things like his shield bracelet, blasting rod, rings, and Little Chicago, he's doing things most wizards can't.  So when it comes to that area of magic, he is world class.

Those things take time, and money to create, and maintain. Harry has been seriously busy for years...  Now that he's got a Castle, and said it's time he started practicing again, I expect some cool shit in future books.
Source?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 12:09:35 AM »
Source?
Bob is impressed.  About the others I have no idea.
Quote from: Proven Guilty
“It looks…” He made a sound like someone idly sucking a breath through his teeth. “Hey, it looks not bad, Harry. You’ve got a gift for this kind of work. That model of the museum really altered the flow around the stadium into something mostly accurate, speaking thaumaturgically.”
I mean if by seriously busy you mean "literally spent 18 months on an Island practicing parkour" then his schedule has been pretty tight, yeah.
And you know that how?  For all we know he spent the eighteen months taking a Masters level class in Checkers.  We only know what Jim tells us.  In the last two books he seems to have upped his game on the capabilities of the Prison.  And he seems to have figured out the Holy weapons, in as much as that is possible. In the run up to Skin Game Mab kept him isolated, he didn't have Bob, Alfred isn't a font of wisdom, rather he is a prison guard, and he still had the headache maker in his head.

I will also point out that the people he could ask for help have been blowing him off pretty consistently over the course of the books.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 05:41:54 AM »
Source?

I've watched so many jim Q&A's over the years.  I've been searching the WoJ site but don't even know what "word" to look for.  I'm 90% positive he did say it in one of his video's but I don't know which one.  Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sorry if I am.

This doesn't have to do what I said above, but does show how dangerous dresden is

From 2010 when Harry was less bad ass... Jim:  Anyway, the point is that Dresden might well be one of the more dangerous opponents you could find in the White Council–in a one on one fight
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:51:35 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
I've watched so many jim Q&A's over the years.  I've been searching the WoJ site but don't even know what "word" to look for.  I'm 90% positive he did say it in one of his video's but I don't know which one.  Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sorry if I am.

This doesn't have to do what I said above, but does show how dangerous dresden is

From 2010 when Harry was less bad ass... Jim:  Anyway, the point is that Dresden might well be one of the more dangerous opponents you could find in the White Council–in a one on one fight
Ah, I know the feeling.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »

He was also learning the defenses of the island which were pretty complicated.  He didn't have any tools or raw materials to make anything, plus he had something growing in his head that caused great pain and make him pass out frequently.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »

Found it by accident, it's about forty two minutes into the Black Gate interview in 2018. Though I'm going to assume Jim was talking about for his age group considering Eb has better versions of Harry's staff and coat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJU5NwFiXk

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 06:38:25 PM »
Harry had better get some major magic skill in Twelve Months or I'm going to start losing interest in him.
yes, this has actually started to irk me.. he's falling too far behind the curve now. Though it also makes it easier for Jim to have Harry pull surprises out of his hat when the time comes I suppose.
Found it by accident, it's about forty two minutes into the Black Gate interview in 2018. Though I'm going to assume Jim was talking about for his age group considering Eb has better versions of Harry's staff and coat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJU5NwFiXk
I think he meant some of the more offbeat things, his overall flexibility and design. Everyone has a staff.. and we don't know how long it took Eb to master making magic armor. But for instance, the ruby(?) In TC Molly uses at DR, the bear belt, LC all these things have little similarity but a great deal of power in them, if not always foresight. An I think we can add most of butters arsenal too, since he based it all on Harry's work in artificing.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
    Harry had better get some major magic skill in Twelve Months or I'm going to start losing interest in him.

yes, this has actually started to irk me.. he's falling too far behind the curve now. Though it also makes it easier for Jim to have Harry pull surprises out of his hat when the time comes I suppose.

Is he really?  He just managed to take down a Titian, figure out how to use the Spear of Destiny to his advantage and a bunch of other assorted things, including outsmarting his grandfather by having Molly craft that double of himself..  He may not be the strongest in some things, but he is fairly strong in most things, as in he manages to hold his own... Which is a lot more than can be said for other wizards that are strong in one thing and not much else.  Consider how easily the Wardens were taken down by the Black Court..

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 07:01:31 PM »
Is he really?  He just managed to take down a Titian, figure out how to use the Spear of Destiny to his advantage and a bunch of other assorted things, including outsmarting his grandfather by having Molly craft that double of himself..  He may not be the strongest in some things, but he is fairly strong in most things, as in he manages to hold his own... Which is a lot more than can be said for other wizards that are strong in one thing and not much else.  Consider how easily the Wardens were taken down by the Black Court..
none of those things are reliant on magical skills. He took down the Titan on willpower, standing on the coat tails of greater beings who wore her down and couldn't have done it at all without DR. He outsmarted his grandfather, with Molly's magical trinket he couldn't make himself. Carlos, who was still an apprentice for half the series can break things down to a molecule without it costing him any energy... And Harry can what? Throw more power into his spell or shield and pray it's enough? And let's not get started on Marcone. Yes, Harry has fallen behind the curve.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 07:41:15 PM »
none of those things are reliant on magical skills. He took down the Titan on willpower, standing on the coat tails of greater beings who wore her down and couldn't have done it at all without DR. He outsmarted his grandfather, with Molly's magical trinket he couldn't make himself. Carlos, who was still an apprentice for half the series can break things down to a molecule without it costing him any energy... And Harry can what? Throw more power into his spell or shield and pray it's enough? And let's not get started on Marcone. Yes, Harry has fallen behind the curve.

He couldn't make it or he didn't have the time?  Will power?  Yeah, that is the juice that sets Harry apart.  Marcone doesn't know jack squat, it is Namshiel that has the knowledge and he is a freaking fallen angel, take him away and Marcone is just a very smart vanilla mortal.  You are leaving out the part about how Harry became Warden of Demonreach in the first place.  Had he been second rate he wouldn't have survived the confrontation with Alfred, or figured out how to pull it off.  Well, Carlos wasn't much of a match for Mavra and company, was he?  Not even close and he couldn't save his fellow wardens..  So who's behind the curve exactly?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 10:04:30 PM »
Couldn't probably. But doing it in such short time is also skill. Everything else you've mentioned still isn't skill. He's a big magical thug still mostly.
And as for Marcone, Harry had a fallen angel for years, nobodies fault but his own he didn't avail himself of her knowledge base.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »
Couldn't probably. But doing it in such short time is also skill. Everything else you've mentioned still isn't skill. He's a big magical thug still mostly.
And as for Marcone, Harry had a fallen angel for years, nobodies fault but his own he didn't avail himself of her knowledge base.

Harry did avail himself to a lot of Lasciel's knowledge, that is how he was able to translate Kemmler's book among other things.  Harry is more than a magical thug, if he were, he would have handled Lara on Demonreach a lot differently. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:55 PM »
We must be reading different books.  In the books I read gaining knowledge from the fallen is a dangerous thing, and Lasciel was known as a deceiver.  He beat her and converted her shadow. If the book needed a gifted watchmaker it would have one, but what it needs is a gifted thug, which is what it has.