Author Topic: First person fantasy. Can it work?  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: First person fantasy. Can it work?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
This fits in nicely with how Alera came about...because Jim believed a good story could be written by a good author on *anything*. (The bet was to combine lost roman legions with pokeman)

PLEASE tell me you're joking.  :o
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
Cie and I write quite a bit of our stuff in first person. I find it really increases both the depth of the character and the reader's investment in the mystery/adventure of the book. When the main character doesn't know what happens behind the closed door, neither does the reader, so finding out is all that more important. The trick is getting the character (and the reader) the information so it's believable. That takes practice.  But most all of the authors I like write in first person, too.
Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »
Is there a work of High Fantasy that works in the first person?
Robin Hobb?  I know some people don't like her books, but I think they count as first person High Fantasy.
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 10:47:09 PM »
The Charles deLint novels I've read were in first person.  I don't know if urban fantasy counts, but it worked for me.  He just changed the POV when necessary, but it was all first person.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »

Seconded.  *Baffled*
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 03:45:17 PM »
Seconded.  *Baffled*

Since posting that, I've learned that it was, indeed, the case. Someone was asserting that good writing is entirely dependent on a good subject, while Jim was responding that a competent writer could take ANY subject, no matter how inane or silly, and turn it into good writing. The person pooh-poohed Jim's position, and Jim finally said something along the lines of, "FINE. I'll show you. In fact, I'll take TWO bad subjects and make something good from 'em TOGETHER." Those two subjects were chosen, yada yada yada, and now we have book 4 of the Codex.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 07:37:27 PM »
Another fun series that is FPV is the MYTH series - written by Robert Asprin.
This is a Fantasy/Humor epic series. Puns are around, but not like Piers Anthony or Terry Prachet.

Skeeve was created as the flip-side of all those Conan Stories - where instead of the Barbarian tearing down the (Evil) Mage's Tower of Power,
it is the “Sorcerer's Apprentice” (Disney Pun intended) taking on the World.

Another Fine Myth. Myth Directions. Myth Conceptions. Hit or Myth. Mything Persons. Little Myth Marker.

Now, Asprin also evolves the series and shows the FP Viewpoints of the other Characters that have interacted with Skeeve over the years.

Skeeve FPV books are still “Myth”-titled, where others are “M.Y.T.H. ”-titled.
M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link. Myth-Nomers and Impervections. M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action. Sweet Myth-tery of Life. MYTH-ion Improbable. Something M.Y.T.H. Inc.

Next – the series evolves again – when Robert L. Asprin teams up with Jody Lynn Nye and they create the next books:
Myth-told Tales. Myth-taken Identity. Myth Alliances. {Skeeve} - New Myth-gotten Gains

(I am not sure, but it seems that there are no differences in Titles between Skeeve and non-Skeeve Adventures)
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »

Nope, that's the truth. Jim shared that story without going into detail way before the Codex Alera sold.  ;D

Just think about it. Fury = Pokemon. Lost Roman legion = Romanic technology. It's like the Roman legion took a wrong turn, went through a portal, ended up in Witchworld and developed fury handling talents.
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Nope, that's the truth. Jim shared that story without going into detail way before the Codex Alera sold.  ;D

Just think about it. Fury = Pokemon. Lost Roman legion = Romanic technology. It's like the Roman legion took a wrong turn, went through a portal, ended up in Witchworld and developed fury handling talents.

Psst - lookie here:

Since posting that, I've learned that it was, indeed, the case. Someone was asserting that good writing is entirely dependent on a good subject, while Jim was responding that a competent writer could take ANY subject, no matter how inane or silly, and turn it into good writing. The person pooh-poohed Jim's position, and Jim finally said something along the lines of, "FINE. I'll show you. In fact, I'll take TWO bad subjects and make something good from 'em TOGETHER." Those two subjects were chosen, yada yada yada, and now we have book 4 of the Codex.

;)

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 02:13:09 PM »
Psst - lookie here:

;)

Nae being cheeky, Mr Shecky.   :D
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »
Nae being cheeky, Mr Shecky.   :D

Och aye.  ::)