Author Topic: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden  (Read 12609 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Raith killed Malcolm Dresden
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
I find the timing weird for Justin to have been (whether he did it personally or had help) behind it. Harry is in the orphanage for four years between his father's death and Justin's adoption. It feels off to me that Justin would kill Malcolm and then chill out for four years until Harry develops his talent. That isn't to say that Justin wasn't watching, though. If it was a year—maybe two—I might be able to see it. But four years is a long time to wait after committing murder.
The one person we know had contact with Harry while he was in the orphanage was Lea. And I could see Lea offing Malcolm, possibly (or maybe even probably) as part of her bargain with Margaret (the agreement WOJ claims would drive Harry to immediately attempt to kill her should he ever learn the full details). And Malcolm might have smiled when he died if he knew it was for a good reason—particularly if it was Margaret's reason.
Pretty sure Lara or Papa Raith offed Murphy's dad, though.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2021, 09:07:59 PM »
I find the timing weird for Justin to have been (whether he did it personally or had help) behind it. Harry is in the orphanage for four years between his father's death and Justin's adoption. It feels off to me that Justin would kill Malcolm and then chill out for four years until Harry develops his talent. That isn't to say that Justin wasn't watching, though. If it was a year—maybe two—I might be able to see it. But four years is a long time to wait after committing murder.
The one person we know had contact with Harry while he was in the orphanage was Lea. And I could see Lea offing Malcolm, possibly (or maybe even probably) as part of her bargain with Margaret (the agreement WOJ claims would drive Harry to immediately attempt to kill her should he ever learn the full details). And Malcolm might have smiled when he died if he knew it was for a good reason—particularly if it was Margaret's reason.
Pretty sure Lara or Papa Raith offed Murphy's dad, though.
Waiting a few years after Malcolm’s dead serves several purposes. Like not having to deal with young children and making it easier to play the savior.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2021, 06:36:43 AM »
One point on that, he didn't just go to an orphanage, he disappear into it. Like, nobody could find him(i.e. Morgan) In order for Justin to do so, he had to have had the inside track on it at least.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 07:35:16 AM »
White court vampires in the book never bother with that, they trust it looks natural enough and the mortals find some natural cause.
2 out of 3 did try to fly under the White Council's, specifically Harry's, radar in WN. The third was regarded as an idiot for not doing so.

Furthermore, the death certificate is going to say something for cause of death. In the DF, it's not going to say unknown. That's like showing up to a Wal-Mart with a bunch of people experiencing memory loss and disorientation and not declaring it a gas leak.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2021, 08:59:44 AM »
2 out of 3 did try to fly under the White Council's, specifically Harry's, radar in WN. The third was regarded as an idiot for not doing so.

Furthermore, the death certificate is going to say something for cause of death. In the DF, it's not going to say unknown. That's like showing up to a Wal-Mart with a bunch of people experiencing memory loss and disorientation and not declaring it a gas leak.
Only because Murphy got suspicious, Harry had no clue before that. And that was partly because of the huge number of victims. Chances are great that with another police officer nothing would have happened and without Harry the white council would not have been aware and would not have acted anyway.

Malcolm was a single victim seemingly unconnected to everything.

More importantly papa Raith had no motive to kill Malcolm but a lot of reasons to kill Harry. Justin had reasons to kill Malcolm but no reasons to kill Harry. What happened?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
So why make it look like an aneurysm? A warlock hiding a murder with magic would do so.

It isn't like anyone part of the White Court doesn't know magic. Right?  What killed Harry's mother, and who did it?  I wonder what is written on her death certificate?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
It isn't like anyone part of the White Court doesn't know magic. Right?  What killed Harry's mother, and who did it?  I wonder what is written on her death certificate?
Some do but Lara does not and I do not get the impression that it is wide spread.

Thomas can do some magic but it is limited.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2021, 04:07:46 PM »
Some do but Lara does not and I do not get the impression that it is wide spread.

But does that preclude her ordering someone in the family with power, to do it?  Malcolm wouldn't have technically died by her hand, but she'd be just as guilty.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2021, 05:29:50 PM »
But does that preclude her ordering someone in the family with power, to do it?  Malcolm wouldn't have technically died by her hand, but she'd be just as guilty.
Het father at this point. But why would she leave Harry malive and kill the father and not the other way round.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »
Het father at this point. But why would she leave Harry malive and kill the father and not the other way round.

Who knows?  She may be thinking long term, or Malcolm stole Margaret away from her father so further revenge.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »
Well I believe that Lara didn't even know she did it... at least not yet. So anything other than the murder itself doesn't matter. Pure Revenge killing on behalf of Lord Raith

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
Well I believe that Lara didn't even know she did it... at least not yet. So anything other than the murder itself doesn't matter. Pure Revenge killing on behalf of Lord Raith
Lara was never stupid. Afraid of her father yes but stupid no. She knew Margaret and if she suddenly got an order to kill someone she would gather information.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2021, 03:05:37 AM »

Thomas also had a pretty good level wizard for a mother.....  and I would assume most Council women would not hook up with a Whamp. The Whamps know OF magic, but use it? Maybe the Hunger dampens magical ability too - yes, Thomas may have some.. but who are his relatives? His mom was good, his brother is VERY good, and old Grandpa..... top of the heap.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »
I find the timing weird for Justin to have been (whether he did it personally or had help) behind it. Harry is in the orphanage for four years between his father's death and Justin's adoption. It feels off to me that Justin would kill Malcolm and then chill out for four years until Harry develops his talent.

Maybe simply to make sure Harry DOES manifest a talent? I  don't think it was a 100% certainty. And if it was 100%... I should think the Council would be keeping CLOSE tabs on its members, especially the females with ability - like Margaret.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 04:20:30 AM »
Timing issue.  You plan for the possibility that Harry will manifest but you don't know when. So you kick out all of his emotional support(kill Malcolm) and feed him to the meat grinder and wait. If he manifests you have him and he's in a frame of mind to take what Justin can offer, and if he doesn't, then  he stays with the state. Cheap and convenient and safe. You can picture Nicodemus doing something of a similar nature for his acolytes.