Author Topic: Eb, Blackstaff, and Time Travel [PT/BG Spoilers]  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Isado

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Eb, Blackstaff, and Time Travel [PT/BG Spoilers]
« on: December 24, 2020, 02:30:10 AM »
Okay folks, help me clear something up.

Between Peace Talks and Battle Ground, we know something is clearly up with McCoy. His behavior is erratic, he feels justified in taking extreme actions, etc. He and Harry clash over lots of things - especially vampires. But something feels off about the order of operations, so to speak. Eb at the end of Peace Talks cuts loose like we've never seen. And yet in Battle Ground, his behavior toward Harry is reset to more closely resemble the Hounds of Tindalos encounter. Yeah there is some animosity between them, but unless I am missing something - no further mention is made of the dockside encounter in their dialogue, only in Harry's thoughts.

So here's my theory - The McCoy from the end of Peace Talks has time traveled to be there from some point after Battle Ground. (Aren't Hounds of Tindalos drawn to someone who has time traveled, and isn't breaking the Laws of Magic within the purview of the Blackstaff?) Some event in the future precipitated McCoy to try to neutralize Harry at that crucial point in time - how else would Eb know to look for him at the docks.

So that's my WAG. Can anyone work up a logical progression of Eb's behavior from the beginning of Peace Talks on? I have trouble accepting that the Eb on the roof of the BFS is the same Eb who mere hours previous attempted to kill his grandson. Have only read BG once a couple months ago, so may be forgetting important things.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Eb, Blackstaff, and Time Travel [PT/BG Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »
Time travel aspect of the hounds does give me a pause, but the other parts sounds like mere conjectures. Eb didn't know Carlos' plan was natural & logical, everything needed to be set aside when a Titan is a threat, so what makes it so suspicious that Eb must have travelled in time? If he did it then why not prevent the whole mess happening instead?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 09:56:39 AM »
Eb didn't try to kill Harry. He lost control and would have accidentally killed Harry if it wasn't for the simulacrum. He had a few hours, and great need, to get control of his emotions. He also was in front of people.

Harry brings it up. He says something like "I guess we need to talk." Eb responds with something about the talking being done.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »
Here's my take on it. Eb lost control at Justine's and killed Harry. Went back and stopped the confrontation from happening indirectly via corner hounds. But the event had alot of momentum behind it in the timeline. So it happened again anyway but Harry was ready with his ectoplasmic projection. Different circumstances, different fate. This is always the point in the time travel shenanigans department.
I would also compare this to the mythological father/grandfather vs son/grandson event. I think the completion of which in the DF will be Eb intentionally looses to Harry when they force him to go after him.