Author Topic: "Good People" Verses "Christmas Eve" Mab  (Read 13272 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: "Good People" Verses "Christmas Eve" Mab
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
There is woj about Murphy being a villain in the first books. Jim seems to use the first definition.

I think Mab is a character that evolves.  When Molly talks about her talk with Harry, she is also talking about her visit to her folks..  So the confrontation still may have happened before Mab took Harry the present.  But back to Mab, she isn't one dimensional, and will, I think turn out to be a lot more complicated than we think.  We start off like Harry, thinking she is merely evil, but as time goes on and understand her more, not so much, more like doing a very difficult job that has to be done.   Though I am not sure why she thinks she has to marry Harry off to Lara.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
I think Mab is a character that evolves.  When Molly talks about her talk with Harry, she is also talking about her visit to her folks..  So the confrontation still may have happened before Mab took Harry the present.  But back to Mab, she isn't one dimensional, and will, I think turn out to be a lot more complicated than we think.  We start off like Harry, thinking she is merely evil, but as time goes on and understand her more, not so much, more like doing a very difficult job that has to be done.   Though I am not sure why she thinks she has to marry Harry off to Lara.
Because her purpose is everything. An alliance with the white court is valuable for many reasons so she would have married Lara herself if she could but if not it is Harry’s task.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »
Because her purpose is everything. An alliance with the white court is valuable for many reasons so she would have married Lara herself if she could but if not it is Harry’s task.

However it shouldn't have to come to that, because of the danger they all face.  In other words there have to be more than one way to cement an alliance.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
However it shouldn't have to come to that, because of the danger they all face.  In other words there have to be more than one way to cement an alliance.
But this is in Mab’s mind the best and most secure way and that is what counts. If you have a better idea you can tell her.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »
But this is in Mab’s mind the best and most secure way and that is what counts. If you have a better idea you can tell her.

Molly may come up with one, it also might have been a plan that Mab has long had in the works.  A clue that Molly knew something was up was the look she gave Lara after the battle with the kraken and they were all on shore again.  Harry admitted that he missed it, but at the same time he wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't significant. 

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »

I think she’s angling Lara as her own replacement.
Pew pew PEW!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 02:54:43 AM »
I think she’s angling Lara as her own replacement.
I think the alliance is a good enough explanation. Molly and Harry don’t like it, prefer another solution and might find one but they do not deny the logic of it either.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 05:13:10 AM »
I think the alliance is a good enough explanation. Molly and Harry don’t like it, prefer another solution and might find one but they do not deny the logic of it either.

Yes, the alliance makes Winter stronger and definitely makes Harry safer. Lara will at a minimum give him access to intel as he needs it and probably a hidden back-up security team.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »
Anyone else dissapointed Rudolph isn't a fae?

I mean I think as far as fairy tale myths go there's enough belief in him to make him real Dresdenverse.

He's got more belief in him than Eldest Gruff.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »

I mean I think as far as fairy tale myths go there's enough belief in him to make him real Dresdenverse.

He's got more belief in him than Eldest Gruff.

Yeah it's too bad, if he was a fae Harry would have been allowed to murder hi...

Oh wait, you meant the reindeer.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 04:51:56 PM »
Yeah it's too bad, if he was a fae Harry would have been allowed to murder hi...

Oh wait, you meant the reindeer.

....well played sir, well played.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
It would be so good if Rudolph had been a Winter fae. I am sure Mab would have give Harry free rein to play with him. His own Lloyd Slate.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
It would be so good if Rudolph had been a Winter fae. I am sure Mab would have give Harry free rein to play with him. His own Lloyd Slate.
I am sure Mab would not have to give free rein. Something like that can be avenged without asking for permission.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
The lead reindeer was surrounded by a corona of fiery red light centered around its burning red eyes, not its nose.

The nose would have been cuter.  This thing looked like it might casually snap its thick leather harness and rip my face off with razor-sharp hooves.
I took this to be Rudolph.

Traditionally, Santa has a team of eight reindeer side by side. Rudolph is the ninth reindeer and doesn't have a partner. If the reindeer with a red glow is leading the team, I'm going to say it is Rudolph until someone can give me better reasons for why it isn't. Both the red glow and the fact that there is a lead reindeer are reasons to think it is Rudolph. The only reason I see to think it isn't, is that it's not his nose that glows. I mean, the Santa we get has a sword and hunting leathers. Why shouldn't Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer also be a few degrees off of cute and cuddly towards scary as well.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying that was not Rudolph, only that he is not a fae.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)