Author Topic: WHat about Bob?  (Read 6614 times)

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: WHat about Bob?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 01:08:20 AM »
irrelevant. We know godly willpower is necessary for titanic bronze. We also know they don't simply possess godly willpower. Don't confuse what we don't know with what is already presented.
You're the one who's confusing opinion to relevancy, there's no specific law written about starborn having total immunity to Outsiders' will in early books before Jim said or wrote it.
Who said godly willpower is necessary for titanic bronze? Have we read other beings tried to wear it & couldn't, did Jim ever say it in any event? Definitely not, so that's only an assumption made by you.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 01:55:52 AM »
Who said godly willpower is necessary for titanic bronze?
the books, the books make it clear titanic bronze is held together according to the willpower of the host. Read them, battlefield specifically. Harry monologues about it when he sees Ethniu tanking shots and notices later when regular bullets are having an effect because she's been weakened. The rest of your post does not bear responding to...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:00:09 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
The book said the armor is powered by Ethniu's willpower, it doesn't say the godly willpower is necessary to power it, and no line in the Battle Ground supports that assumption.

“The stuff . . . it affects Creation on a fundamental level,” he said. “As long as it has enough will behind it, the physical world is going to have a very limited effect on her.”
I squinted at the old man. “So as long as she thinks she’s invincible, she is?”
The old man lifted his eyebrows. “Haven’t ever heard it summed up that way before. But, yes, that’s accurate enough for our purposes.”
“Denial armor,” I muttered. “Hell’s bells. So how do we get through it?”

Vadderung said it takes divine status to physically penetrate or destroy the armor, but that does not mean that's the requirement for its wearer.

So unless you can tell me where exactly the idea "godly willpower is necessary to use titanic bronze" was written in BG, there's nothing that suggests that possibility is impossible

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 07:09:05 AM »
Godly is a description my friend. It doesn't require being an actual God. Godly willpower. My point stands as it originally was.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
I haven't see anyone mentioning this possibiity: Harry can take Titanic bronze
And? Jim could certainly have Harry wear the armor, it only takes him deciding that the plot needs it.  Why would it need it? I see no use case. WOJ is that he doesn't want Harry too powerful.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »
The armour would probably need to be reforged/repaired for him to use it, and that Knowledge is apparently lost (outside of maybe Ethniu herself).

It wouldn't be much use for Harry in any case, seeing as how he doesn't have much belief in his own invincibility, and that's what makes the Titanic Bronze so strong.

Now, what Harry needs is Armour powered by how invincible others think he is. At this stage, that would be a serious investment.

Power of Friendship Armour>Denial Armour.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 12:36:37 AM »
Godly is a description my friend. It doesn't require being an actual God. Godly willpower. My point stands as it originally was.
You don't have any point, everything you said was based on your assumptions.

your statements
- without godly willpower it's basically less than bronze -> except the armor was made from a unique alloy of Olympian bronze and mordite, so no, not even close
- godly willpower is a necessary requirement -> no it's not, literally Jim only wrote enough willpower and nothing else had been said about the requirement on wearing it, so when did enough translates to godly?
- lack of knowledge about starborns irrelevant, starborns don't simply possess godly willpower -> what kind of logic is this, we know almost nothing about starborns & you claim you know they don't possess godly willpower, which you said "a description", a.k.a. based on your own interpretation. No one knows what level of willpower Drakul possesses, for instance.

And? Jim could certainly have Harry wear the armor, it only takes him deciding that the plot needs it.  Why would it need it? I see no use case. WOJ is that he doesn't want Harry too powerful.
oh i don't know, not getting Harry mashed into thin crepe when stuck in a place & situation where mighty beings like Ferrovax & Vadderung combat each other might be a necessity soon, Jim can't have Harry dead before the series end. It doesn't necessarily mean Harry will become too powerful, as that word indicates he became on par with Eb/Mab or others above them, or something like that.

Or even to give a modified armor to Maggie to protect her from mortal dangers in Apocalyptic events.

The armour would probably need to be reforged/repaired for him to use it, and that Knowledge is apparently lost (outside of maybe Ethniu herself).

It wouldn't be much use for Harry in any case, seeing as how he doesn't have much belief in his own invincibility, and that's what makes the Titanic Bronze so strong.

Now, what Harry needs is Armour powered by how invincible others think he is. At this stage, that would be a serious investment.

Power of Friendship Armour>Denial Armour.
well that's what i had in mind, Bob had enough time in close interaction with Ethniu & armor alloy, Ivy has expertise in mordite, he already knows svartalves, Molly knew them even better, he has habit of tinkering with magical stuffs, it's probable all these might give him a chance to create a suited armor for him or Maggie, not a whole body armor, even just arms or chest would be immense advantage from now on until BAT.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 12:55:00 AM »
Let's see,
1 Titanic armor runs on willpower
2 Ethniu, still capable of taking on multiple beings of power cannot totally block bullets without effect in her weakened state
3 if you have enough willpower and any magical or otherwise supernatural ability you can override reality itself. Something almost godlike in its execution.
Ergo without godly willpower Titanic armor is useless.
Harry's a starborn
1 Harry does not automatically possess godly willpower by default. He's had to work and harden his will over the years.
 These are the only points that matter, and yes. They do stand as pretty much self evident.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
Let's see,
1 Titanic armor runs on willpower
2 Ethniu, still capable of taking on multiple beings of power cannot totally block bullets without effect in her weakened state
3 if you have enough willpower and any magical or otherwise supernatural ability you can override reality itself. Something almost godlike in its execution.
Ergo without godly willpower Titanic armor is useless.
Harry's a starborn
1 Harry does not automatically possess godly willpower by default. He's had to work and harden his will over the years.
 These are the only points that matter, and yes. They do stand as pretty much self evident.

But was her armor really penetrated?  Basically the heavy hitters went where the armor wasn't.
In the end Odin tricked her into taking his spear, then it backfired on her and hit her right in the uncovered Eye, upon which Lara issued a sharp blow to the back of her head that knocked it out of her head.  Then the battle with Harry was basically all mental, his will verses her will, and with the added oomph of the Spear, and a little help from Marcone/Namshiel getting some blood from her was able to call Alfred to do the rest.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 07:51:14 PM »
Yea, gungir blew off her arm, where there was definitely uhhh ARMor lol. Gard hamstrung her if I remember where she struck correctly. I'd have to look back to remember if there was more, but I think both those cases were straight up raw power overload as apposed to Sanya or Marcone and using the angelic wavelength.
Her will was not completely diminished yet, but it was faltering. Say, in the Beginning she tanks shots like Eb in his robes in changes, but near the end it's more like Dresden in his duster, she could still feel it, even if it wasn't getting through yet.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »
Yea, gungir blew off her arm, where there was definitely uhhh ARMor lol. Gard hamstrung her if I remember where she struck correctly. I'd have to look back to remember if there was more, but I think both those cases were straight up raw power overload as apposed to Sanya or Marcone and using the angelic wavelength.
Her will was not completely diminished yet, but it was faltering. Say, in the Beginning she tanks shots like Eb in his robes in changes, but near the end it's more like Dresden in his duster, she could still feel it, even if it wasn't getting through yet.

The effect was cumulative, every little bit weakened her, in the end both celestial and infernal power could get through Titanic bronze, which enable Namshiel to get a little blood sample for Harry to finish her off.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »
The effect was cumulative, every little bit weakened her, in the end both celestial and infernal power could get through Titanic bronze, which enable Namshiel to get a little blood sample for Harry to finish her off.
yes?

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »
But was her armor really penetrated?  Basically the heavy hitters went where the armor wasn't.
Sanya's sword went through her armor & drew blood, specifically the arm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:19:59 PM by deadvoid »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 12:25:46 AM »
Sanya's sword went through her armor & drew blood, specifically the arm

Yup, that was the celestial bit, but though the Holy Sword could penetrate, he was a mere human Holy Knight.  So she shook him off.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:23 AM »
Yup, that was the celestial bit, but though the Holy Sword could penetrate, he was a mere human Holy Knight.  So she shook him off.
Yeah he didn't hurt her much, but that chink in the armor --even though the armor didn't become useless because not much of its integrity was lost-- meant her arm was exposed.
Odin exploited that fact with accurate strike using the rest of his power, so Sanya's success in penetrating it became the vital turning point for the fight against Ethniu. She became an injured Titan instead of just tired one inside an intact armor.