Author Topic: New Dresden Files podcast interview.  (Read 24015 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Dresden Files podcast interview.
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2020, 12:40:48 AM »
I just wonder what that means.

Are Sidhe actually faking emotion the entire time, just really well, and so the fake emotions stop existing outside of the Nevernever?

Is it that emotions have physical mass, and so emotions fed on from the Nevernever are made up of Ectoplasm like all physical matter from the Nevernever?

Like, how does that work? How many grams do love/hate/fear/etc weigh?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!
One might think you aren't taking this seriously.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2020, 12:52:19 AM »
Vadderung having Soulfire is awesome.

That would seem to imply that the Einherjar are horrible vulnerabilities that could be used against Vadderung if any were captured by the right adversary to use against him.

Previous WOJ was that Harry using soulfire to enchant his gear would be a liability if any of it was taken from him, because pieces of the soul are at least as bad as samples of blood or hair.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2020, 01:11:40 AM »
That would seem to imply that the Einherjar are horrible vulnerabilities that could be used against Vadderung if any were captured by the right adversary to use against him.

Previous WOJ was that Harry using soulfire to enchant his gear would be a liability if any of it was taken from him, because pieces of the soul are at least as bad as samples of blood or hair.
You'd think that mixing the bits of the soul up with magic and letting it sit for a few months would be enough to dilute it.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 03:47:44 AM »
Jim also said in that interview part of the point of Battle Ground was clearing some characters out. Too many for him to keep track of.

But he only directly killed off Hendricks and Murphy.  Murphy was a significant character, but Hendricks, not so much.  Hendricks had the potential to be really interesting, if this series was about the rise and fall of Gentleman John Marcone.  Seeing as it isn't, he was just fun window dressing.  We could speculate that Hendricks might have a greater role to play; for example, if he had been the one to pick up Thorned Namshiel's coin, but then he might have overshadowed his boss, so Jim was never going to do that.  I'm not going to go into removing Murphy, as that discussion has been held elsewhere.

As far as minor characters who died off-stage, I don't know that I really care.  If Nick Christian and Mike Atagi died off stage, all it means is that Harry will be sad about a couple of other friends who died and he will have to find someone else to fix his car; who we will also never see in any of the books. 

The only other characters who were at absolutely at risk (that I can recall) are the book seller Artemis Bock, the EMT Lamar and Detective (or Officer) Rawlins.  I don't want to find out that any of them died, but it wouldn't throw the story out of whack if any of them did.  The only offscreen minor character whose death might have significance would be Mortimer Lindquist.  His death would remove Harry's ghost whisperer and it's still possible Mort could still play a role somewhere down the line.  (Though I doubt it.)

I'm just not seeing the necessity for Jim to kill off minor characters who complicate the story because so few of them do that or have the potential to do that. 

Which is odd, because most of the powerhouses - the immortals, the KotC, and the Senior Council members - were badly wounded but survived. Karrin and Hendricks are benched, but if Ragnarok is included in the BAT, presumably that's going to supersede 'until nobody alive remembers them'. Thomas is benched, but can be brought back when the time is right. The B team wardens are dead, but undead and presumably enemies now.

This didn't really prune a lot of threads, it just put characters on the shelf for a while.

I've thought the same thing, but then I remember that all the Einherjar will permanently die with Odin at Ragnarok, so even if Jim brings them back, it won't be for long.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »
That depends. The Dresden files is about preventing the empty night not about destroying everything to create a better world.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »
One might think you aren't taking this seriously.

Are you telling me that you aren't interested in knowing which of lust/fear/despair has the higher fat content? On if the false emotions taken from a member of the Sidhe would be considered empty calories from a dieting perspective? On how Lara and the other Raiths maintain their figures with such a heavy diet?

No sir, I say you are the one who isn't taking this seriously.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »
Are you telling me that you aren't interested in knowing which of lust/fear/despair has the higher fat content? On if the false emotions taken from a member of the Sidhe would be considered empty calories from a dieting perspective? On how Lara and the other Raiths maintain their figures with such a heavy diet?

Healthy exercise.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »

So feeding on Mab would give a huge sugar high with a disastrous let down... :-\

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »
Keep in mind, Thomas was confined by Harry with a very interesting caveat.  Thomas can't speak to anyone not confined by a similar protocol.  The only person confined by a similar protocol is the "English guy."  During confinement, Thomas will be without access to his demon for the first time since learning about it.  We have no idea what Thomas can learn from the English guy, whether he can bring the English guy into the story line, or what having his demon restrained for a long period might allow Thomas to do.  Giving his spirit a chance to rest, recover, and enter the fight against the hunger demon again from a new angle might significantly empower Thomas.  A change of "taste" for his demon might very well be within the cards, or maybe he becomes more of an omnivore because the human with free will is driving the car more and he can feed off of whatever emotion is prevalent at the time, and lose the weakness of true love, etc.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2020, 06:01:49 PM »
Lamar is alive, he is mentioned after the battle. And as Mac's was fine, I don't think Brock died.
And after the cliché comment, I think Rawlins survived.

Keep in mind, Thomas was confined by Harry with a very interesting caveat.  Thomas can't speak to anyone not confined by a similar protocol.  The only person confined by a similar protocol is the "English guy."  During confinement, Thomas will be without access to his demon for the first time since learning about it.  We have no idea what Thomas can learn from the English guy, whether he can bring the English guy into the story line, or what having his demon restrained for a long period might allow Thomas to do.  Giving his spirit a chance to rest, recover, and enter the fight against the hunger demon again from a new angle might significantly empower Thomas.  A change of "taste" for his demon might very well be within the cards, or maybe he becomes more of an omnivore because the human with free will is driving the car more and he can feed off of whatever emotion is prevalent at the time, and lose the weakness of true love, etc.
Yes, it is true that is important.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2020, 06:40:20 PM »
So feeding on Mab would give a huge sugar high with a disastrous let down... :-\
I kinda assume Mab is still food, because she was human once.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »
I kinda assume Mab is still food, because she was human once.

Yeah, hence the sugar high.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2020, 08:39:52 PM »

Your right, I'm not.  I think the Fae fritters are zero fat, zero, sugar and zero calories.

On a more serious note if there can be one on this topic, why do Fae leave bodies if they are exclusively of the Nevernever.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
Your right, I'm not.  I think the Fae fritters are zero fat, zero, sugar and zero calories.

On a more serious note if there can be one on this topic, why do Fae leave bodies if they are exclusively of the Nevernever.
Because they don’t exclusively live on fae food and all have a bit of mortality in them. The party in Cold Days served mortal food.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2020, 02:16:28 AM »

Because they're not exclusively of the Nevernever.  From Ghost Story - The scene in the graveyard when ghost Harry is talking to Lea:

“Wait,” I said, reaching up to touch her foot with my hand.

My ectoplasmic flesh did not sink through hers. My hand felt nothing, yet met an odd resistance to its motion. I didn’t pass into her as I had Mort or Molly. I blinked a little at that.

“I am of two worlds,” she said, her tone slightly impatient. As she often did, she had evidently guessed at my thoughts. “Of course I don’t feel the same as mortal flesh.”

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx