Author Topic: Random thought of the day  (Read 1624 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Random thought of the day
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »
If AI gains power in the world, just send in the Wizards!

That is all. Hope everyone is having a good start to the new year.

Cheers----Brien

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Random thought of the day
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:10:42 PM »
Couldn't stop thinking this when watching the latest terminator movie this weekend.

As an aside, I liked it better than I thought I would. I hadn't heard much about it, so I assumed no one liked it. It basically ignored every movie after T2. T1 and T2 were better thought out and more interesting, but it was still pretty good.
(click to show/hide)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:51:39 PM »
Cool! Haha--That would have been awesome! Boom crash explosion explosion explosion! Somebody sees a building on fire and we hear, "It's not my fault!" I enjoyed Terminator. It didn't move the way the original did when I saw it in the theater as a kid, but it was fun.

I'm trying not to get too worked up about movies these days. It's challenging to find really well-thought out and engaging scifi/fantasy. (Or to make it!)  I think one of the issues is how to encapsulate everything in a two hour framework. I guess it's the same with a Dresden Files film/TV series--How do you make something that honors the love readers have for the characters while checking all the boxes a film studio has to check? I think you have to have someone onboard like Favreau and Filoni are with Mandalorian. Cool concept is fine, but unless you have someone without (or at least without too much) ego, you run into what, I believe, happened with many of the X-Men films---average filmmaking that irritates fans of the series.

Okay...rant rant rant...

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Brien

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 01:38:37 AM »
Cool! Haha--That would have been awesome! Boom crash explosion explosion explosion! Somebody sees a building on fire and we hear, "It's not my fault!" I enjoyed Terminator. It didn't move the way the original did when I saw it in the theater as a kid, but it was fun.

Yes, and in a really well written picture or television program, GREAT!!  Problem, the viewers send the wrong message, bigger bangs are better, battles on a massive scale, blood, gore, mayhem, OUTSTANDING! Fantastic sugar high..  So the makers of films forget without proper framing of story, dialogue, character, it becomes crap... But it is easier, that is one reason why fans were so let down by season eight of GOT.  Because the Battle of the Bastards was so fantastic, the creators got lazy, just do bigger, bloodier, and noisier.. They forgot the characters and story build up is why the battle itself was great, all the action and special effects were just the cherry on top.  So bigger battles, two episode battles in  Season 8, but the characters and story sort of forgotten, leaving many fans scratching their heads....WTF????  You gotta eat your spinach as well as ice cream or the show sucks..

Let us pray that doesn't happen to the Mandalorian.. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:35:37 PM by Mira »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
Big battles, explosions, fights, etc, etc are cool and all, but if that's all it took to make a great show, I'd just watch the Transformers movies 24/7.