Author Topic: Unanswered Peace Talks / Battle Ground Question - There will be others  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Unanswered Peace Talks / Battle Ground Question - There will be others
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
You might be right, but it's still an open question.  We need more information to conclude if HWWBeside is Nemesis or if the three Walkers are a hive mind or Outsider Trinity that is Nemesis.

What is somewhat annoying about this topic is that it may be several books before Harry has a conversation with anyone else about the Walkers.

Which is why I started the thread about being confused.  On one page in Battle Ground the entity occupying Justine calls itself Nemesis, on the next page it says it's name is He Who Walks Beside, an Outsider Walker.  What is confusing is we've known about Outsiders from Storm Front on,about Outsider Walkers from White Night on,Nemesis from Cold Days on, but the question of whether they are separate or the same has never been cleared up.  Battle Ground sort of implies they are the same, but are they?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
You might be right, but it's still an open question.  We need more information to conclude if HWWBeside is Nemesis or if the three Walkers are a hive mind or Outsider Trinity that is Nemesis.

What is somewhat annoying about this topic is that it may be several books before Harry has a conversation with anyone else about the Walkers.
I think it was pretty clear. My bet is that Nemesis is just an alias for Beside. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Which is why I started the thread about being confused.  On one page in Battle Ground the entity occupying Justine calls itself Nemesis, on the next page it says it's name is He Who Walks Beside, an Outsider Walker.  What is confusing is we've known about Outsiders from Storm Front on,about Outsider Walkers from White Night on,Nemesis from Cold Days on, but the question of whether they are separate or the same has never been cleared up.  Battle Ground sort of implies they are the same, but are they?
Also "Old Ones." From Outside, we've had mention of Outsiders, Walkers, and Old Ones. Walkers are the Old Ones knights or captains, and Outsiders are the foot soldiers. I assume Old Ones and Walkers are also considered Outsiders, just with a more specific name, but I can see them being Insiders who were obliviated and created the Outsiders.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
I am wondering if Nemesis can just leave and let behind its host, more or less unharmed. Because I've been thinking what could happen with Justine as the baby grows and there is a chance that Nem-Justine realizes the Hunger is weakening her and the risk for her host is big, so Nemesis just jumps from her to another host (probably random). If that is the case, Justine will find Harry and ask his help (he probably will soulgaze her, because he is soulgazing/sighting everyone now). Another option is that Nem-Justine tries to blackmail Harry the same way that it blackmailed Thomas, to ask him for something that would help it, perhaps to ensure the delivery but with a way of escape.  Of course, it that is the case, it won't work as planned but it will escape, perhaps back to the NN.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »
I am wondering if Nemesis can just leave and let behind its host, more or less unharmed. Because I've been thinking what could happen with Justine as the baby grows and there is a chance that Nem-Justine realizes the Hunger is weakening her and the risk for her host is big, so Nemesis just jumps from her to another host (probably random). If that is the case, Justine will find Harry and ask his help (he probably will soulgaze her, because he is soulgazing/sighting everyone now). Another option is that Nem-Justine tries to blackmail Harry the same way that it blackmailed Thomas, to ask him for something that would help it, perhaps to ensure the delivery but with a way of escape.  Of course, it that is the case, it won't work as planned but it will escape, perhaps back to the NN.

I don't think Nemesis cares, it will use Justine as long as it needs to, it may have already have left her because there is no more to be gained by possessing her.  Whether or not Justine dies from the pregnancy doesn't matter to it, nor do I think the Hunger demon affects it, they might even be working together.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
I don't know. I thought if Justine died some part of Nemesis died too, and I don't know if that is irrelevant for it. If there is a maximum number of hosts it can infect, each one matters a little.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Feral Plum

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 06:27:13 PM »
Are HHWB... a trinity? Three aspects manifesting from one being? There are always three and they work as one?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »
I don't know. I thought if Justine died some part of Nemesis died too, and I don't know if that is irrelevant for it. If there is a maximum number of hosts it can infect, each one matters a little.

Yeah, we really don't have enough information to know yet.  I am inclined to think that Nemesis is kind of like COVID. If it infects you and you die, that bit might die too, but there is more virus from where that came from.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
  Yeah, we really don't have enough information to know yet.  I am inclined to think that Nemesis is kind of like COVID. If it infects you and you die, that bit might die too, but there is more virus from where that came from.
If it could replicate in every host it infects reality would have been doomed long ago. I think there is a limited amount of nemesis infective spiritual essence this side of the gates and it can only spread so thin until it loses power.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 01:54:28 AM »
If it could replicate in every host it infects reality would have been doomed long ago. I think there is a limited amount of nemesis infective spiritual essence this side of the gates and it can only spread so thin until it loses power.
My guess is 13.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 03:04:56 AM »
Yes, mine too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
But it doesn't, maybe it does infect everyone, but only a few are vulnerable to the infection?  Take conspiracy theories, we all hear them, we are all vulnerable to them to some degree.  However a few of us really believe them and in some cases become dangerous because we act on them. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »
It is quite possible that Maeve knew she was going to die in cold days and that nemesis simply switched to Justine at the island in the circle leaving Maeve and entering Justine at the right moment. Maeve was motivated and changed enough to just continue.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]