Author Topic: Poor Harry - Jim you cruel man. Lol  (Read 15959 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Harry - Jim you cruel man. Lol
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »
Yes, I wanted Harry to leave GS with some cool ghost powers, but not such luck.

And yes, Mira mentioned that too. His soul was connected to his body.

Since he never was a ghost it would have been hard I think.   It never was about being a ghost, more about righting a wrong done to Molly and understanding himself, that he cannot be turned into a monster unless he wishes to be turned into one.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »
Being fair, what good would cool ghost powers be for Harry anyway? He doesn't even make good use of the powers he has.

Like, remember how in the Graveyard he talks about Sorcerers and how they're scrublords looked down upon by 'real' Wizards? The whole time I was like: "You're talking a lot of smack right now Harry, but the way you describe Sorcerers (dumb brutes that just rely on power and have zero skill) sounds a lot like how the rest of the planet describes you. Maybe get good before you start shit talking."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
forumghost, Mira, true, but I didn't mean that having Harry got those powers were the main purpose of GS. I just want it to have been a small side effects. And "ghost powers" was a way of speaking, I meant something related with being a bodyless soul.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
Being fair, what good would cool ghost powers be for Harry anyway? He doesn't even make good use of the powers he has.

Ability to astral project yourself as shade would be quite cool?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
Ability to astral project yourself as shade would be quite cool?

Yes it would, but Harry was able to do that with Little Chicago too, and he did it all of once before forgetting the thing existed entirely. (What I'm saying is, Harry is a bad Wizard, the only thing he can do is make things go boom.)

That said, we know from Vadderung/WoJ that dying and coming back did something- at least from the wider perspective. It just doesn't appear to manifest itself in an overt way.

Quote from: Cold Days
He tilted his head and looked at me. "Wizard . . . you have been dead and returned. It has marked you. It has opened doors and paths that you do not yet know exist, and attracted the attention of beings who formerly would never have taken note of your insignificance."

"Meaning what?" I asked.

There was no humor at all in his face. "Meaning that now more than ever, you are a fulcrum. Meaning that your life is about to become very, very interesting."

"I don't understand," I said.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:34:15 PM by forumghost »

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2020, 10:34:41 PM »
forumghost, Mira, true, but I didn't mean that having Harry got those powers were the main purpose of GS. I just want it to have been a small side effects. And "ghost powers" was a way of speaking, I meant something related with being a bodyless soul.

Maybe a bit more sensitive to any ghosts around?  Maybe actually seeing and being able to converse with the really stronger ones?  Not full on Mort, but just a little bit of something, since he was part of that realm for a while, dead or not.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »
Yes, I had imagined something like that, but astral projection could be great.

forumghost, Harry is not a bad wizard, he is not so good as he could be. And I wish that he spends the next year studying and getting better. And perhaps...Vadderung was talking about Hades and what happened in SG?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2020, 10:43:34 PM »
Memory. It worked different as a spiritual being. Harry could remember things better and more true as how he experienced it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2020, 10:47:44 PM »
Yes, I had imagined something like that, but astral projection could be great.

forumghost, Harry is not a bad wizard, he is not so good as he could be. And I wish that he spends the next year studying and getting better. And perhaps...Vadderung was talking about Hades and what happened in SG?

He kinda is. Harry is the epitome of "Fight Harder, not Smarter". He's running around casting level 8 Fireballs and that's impressive and all, but then you look at Carlos standing over there casting disintegrate for no Mana cost and it's like...

C'mon dude, this guy is you're underclassman and he's making you look like a Noob.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2020, 12:00:16 AM »

Like, remember how in the Graveyard he talks about Sorcerers and how they're scrublords looked down upon by 'real' Wizards? The whole time I was like: "You're talking a lot of smack right now Harry, but the way you describe Sorcerers (dumb brutes that just rely on power and have zero skill) sounds a lot like how the rest of the planet describes you. Maybe get good before you start shit talking."
He was also completely blindsided by them being blamps despite Vadderung specifically warning him about that a few hours before.
He kinda is. Harry is the epitome of "Fight Harder, not Smarter". He's running around casting level 8 Fireballs and that's impressive and all, but then you look at Carlos standing over there casting disintegrate for no Mana cost and it's like...

C'mon dude, this guy is you're underclassman and he's making you look like a Noob.
Carlos leveled up hard enough that if you dropped BG Carlos (limp and all) in the place of WN Carlos he'd have probably soloed the uberghoul army. Meanwhile it took a book of getting completely outskilled before Harry decided that maybe going back to school would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:08:56 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2020, 12:04:11 AM »
He also was completely blindsided by them being blamps despite Vadderung specifically warning him about that a few hours before.

Also I'm sort of surprised he just noted blampires or Fomor as simply sorcerers. They may be limited by their nature - but really not sure if that's description fitting let's say Victor Sells.

Carlos leveled up hard enough that if you dropped BG Carlos (limp and all) in the place of WN Carlos he'd have probably soloed the uberghoul army. Meanwhile it took a book of getting completely outskilled before he decided that maybe going back to school would be a good idea.

It took at least 12 from 17 book of being outskilled I'd say :P

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2020, 12:13:12 AM »
Problem is he had said that about needing more study thousands of times, and he didn't. He advanced a little with teaching Molly but nothing else.
Missing you, Md 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:44 AM »
Problem is he had said that about needing more study thousands of times, and he didn't. He advanced a little with teaching Molly but nothing else.
Speaking of Molly she gets way more impressive when you remember that even in Cold Days she was years away from being as experienced as Storm Front Harry (in fact, she was about equivalent of Harry on the farm for a year in terms of how long she'd been trained) and yet she completely left even current books Harry in the dust in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:59:52 AM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2020, 01:13:12 AM »
But that is the mantle.
Missing you, Md 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2020, 01:17:03 AM »
But that is the mantle.
No I mentioned Cold Days because that was the last book before she got the mantle, the illusions were all her.

Rest in peace mdodd.