Author Topic: When did LtW join the White Council?  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: When did LtW join the White Council?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2020, 09:13:37 PM »
You know, I do not even need for him to get a result.
But I want to know he is really, really trying - and failing, because either prices is too high, or theoreticall allies keeps him obfuscated and gaslighted. And it can even stronger push his wizard paranoia.

Really Jim could just read this board or one of FB groups, write down theories good and bad, and just make Dresden consider all of them, and make mad graphs

Shoot, if you are going to do a photo like that, do Sherlock Holms....

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:00 PM »
Harry is not dignified and high on coke enough to be Sherlock.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:05 PM »
Yes, but if he had troubles with Spanish he'd have just as hard a time with Latin.  He blames the correspondence course, but he could have taken a night class to improve his Latin.  He could have worked a bit harder at it, which he did after Molly became his apprentice.  I don't think Harry's study habits were ever that great, he did well enough because he was bright, not because he worked hard.
Harry probably didn't value Latin highly because he didn't want to interact with the Council. I don't see justification for the claim he had bad study habits.

I mean one of my biggest systemic problems with Dresden Files is fact that Dresden does not seems to be doing much of research overall.
I don't know how true that is. For example, Harry thinks in GS about how Sir Stewart knows the names of the three Swords of the Cross when he's been researching them for years. The only research we see him do is ask Yoshimo and Molly about their family history.

And in BG, Harry knows what the placard does. I don't remember if BG mentions that he has studied the artifacts or researched them, but he obviously has.

I think that Jim doesn't show or tell us about Harry's research unless it's relevant. I think it would be nice to have a sentence or two dropped about all the dead ends he runs into.

Exactly what should he be researching?  He built LC. He's done multiple iterations of his wards and tools. He took on an apprentice. He built a bug out retreat. He's obviously increased his level of understanding about the abilities of Demonreach. He's honed his personal skills. He also created and supported the Paranet. He made a living using his craft.  When he does ask the question of the roster of people whom might know he gets crickets. Jim has been fairly consistent about this.
And way back in FM when Marcone offers him a consulting contract, Harry thinks about all the research projects he doesn't have time to do that he could if he didn't have to earn a living. Does anyone disagree that he's only gotten busier as the series has progressed?

You know, I do not even need for him to get a result.
But I want to know he is really, really trying - and failing.
I agree. And I think Jim has given us enough to think this, but not to know it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »
Harry probably didn't value Latin highly because he didn't want to interact with the Council. I don't see justification for the claim he had bad study habits.

He didn't learn it because he didn't know about the Council, when he did, other things were a priority.
However you'd think Eb would have insisted that Harry learn it when he was under his care.  For no other reason than Harry would be able to understand what was going on and not make a fool of himself.  But then again, that might have been the general idea?

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2020, 10:11:11 PM »
Several points to consider:
1.  We believe the gatekeeper is the oldest of the senior council, since he took down the Abdul Alhazred in 730 AD, according to WoJ.  Also according to WoJ, the path to the gatekeepers personal demesne involve briefly walking on the moon, so we can assume wizards made it to the moon long before the rest of mankind did.  If that is possible, I see no reason why the white council wouldn't be in contact with the America's before Columbus.
2.  In the way way back, there were a lot really bad things running around.  Way more than now - think of all the things locked away in Demonreach and by the Ventori helping the world forget them.  There probably weren't that many more good things though, since why would we lock those things away?  Maybe there was more direct intervention from various human pantheons, but even most of those are at least 50% evil (or have an evil opposite like the Jotuns).  So Wizards back then might have been much more active in fighting for humanity than they are now, and a lot less worried about policing themselves.
3.  Certain areas may have had less wizards per population that others.  The Aztec/Incan region seems to have been ruled by the Red Court at the discovery of America.  I see no reason why they would encourage/allow humans in their care to become wizards, and probably rooted out those with potential, leading to a very low wizard population in at least half of the new world.
4.  Excepting certain powers intervening (ala red court in Mesoamerica) the population of wizards should probably be reflective of human populations, so it certainly does seem that the council is horribly western in leadership, considering that about 60% of the world population lives in Asia.  And considering the references Harry has made about their locations, etc. it seems it has probably always been European dominated, which seems wrong unless there is a similar reduction in Asian wizard populations for some reason (hunted by jade court, etc.)
5.  I do wonder though, back in the day before world exploration, it seems like it might have been relatively easy for the wizards to find each other with divination sources and paths in the NN, but it seems like communication would have been a total beast.  There doesn't appear to be any magic way to learn languages (else Harry would be better at Latin) short of putting a demon in your head, and while it might have been easy to find a path to the America's through the NN, when they come out communication would be a bitch, and not what most people do for fun.  I've got to think there has to be more value to being part of the Council or more punishment for breaking rules, else there is no way the world's wizards would have joined up like they appear to have done.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »
And in BG, Harry knows what the placard does. I don't remember if BG mentions that he has studied the artifacts or researched them, but he obviously has.

Well there were 5 artifacts lying together  - so what placard is was easy to guess by educated man.
Now force of this artifact - I'm not sure if it was matter of theoretical study - or just power of Crucifixion artifacts is so strong he can just feel what it does. Just like just knew what Spear of Destiny is doing be holding in in his hands.

4.  Excepting certain powers intervening (ala red court in Mesoamerica) the population of wizards should probably be reflective of human populations, so it certainly does seem that the council is horribly western in leadership, considering that about 60% of the world population lives in Asia.  And considering the references Harry has made about their locations, etc. it seems it has probably always been European dominated, which seems wrong unless there is a similar reduction in Asian wizard populations for some reason (hunted by jade court, etc.)

White Council is quite young. 1000-1500 y.o.
Chinese wizards could have own traditions and even after joining were mostly interested into own business, just as Jade Court avoid global politics.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:45 PM »
He didn't learn it because he didn't know about the Council.
But Harry did learn Latin.

3.  Certain areas may have had less wizards per population that others.  The Aztec/Incan region seems to have been ruled by the Red Court at the discovery of America.  I see no reason why they would encourage/allow humans in their care to become wizards, and probably rooted out those with potential, leading to a very low wizard population in at least half of the new world.
Or tracked and turned them.

Could be because of medical and other developments in the West had something to do with western wizards having a higher survival rate. Most New World wizards older or close to LtW's age probably died with the rest of the population when exposed to the various Old World diseases. (The lack of New World exposure to Old World disease indicates that the wizards didn't travel between the Old and New World very often).

Well there were 5 artifacts lying together  - so what placard is was easy to guess by educated man.
Now force of this artifact - I'm not sure if it was matter of theoretical study - or just power of Crucifixion artifacts is so strong he can just feel what it does. Just like just knew what Spear of Destiny is doing be holding in in his hands.
Figuring out what they are is simple. I don't think figuring out what they do is so simple. Either Harry did hands on research or looked to secondary sources describing what the placard did. Either way, he researched it.

His research could have been simple as you suggest, but I doubt it.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
Harry thinks in Peace Talks as he is getting the Knife from Alfred, If it truly was what I was pretty sure it was, then using it was going to put me in a long-term pickle"

You'll note he actually never has to use the knife as a knife in Battle Ground.  Jim conveniently finds a work around and has Marcone provide him with a bloody knife.  Harry uses the knife as an Anthame in the ritual, but he never uses it as a weapon.  I don't think using it as an Anthame, "put him in a pickle" so to speak, so I suspect the consequences of actually using the knife as a weapon are still to be revealed and are more in keeping with stories of the spear of Longinus. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
Harry thinks in Peace Talks as he is getting the Knife from Alfred, If it truly was what I was pretty sure it was, then using it was going to put me in a long-term pickle"

You'll note he actually never has to use the knife as a knife in Battle Ground.  Jim conveniently finds a work around and has Marcone provide him with a bloody knife.  Harry uses the knife as an Anthame in the ritual, but he never uses it as a weapon.  I don't think using it as an Anthame, "put him in a pickle" so to speak, so I suspect the consequences of actually using the knife as a weapon are still to be revealed and are more in keeping with stories of the spear of Longinus.

It isn't about using the Spear of Destiny, itself, as a weapon.  The holder of the Spear gains power from holding it.

Offline deadvoid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
I think Jim decided the researching has to happened behind the scene because Jim would have to write twice the pages to explain how Harry has the knowledge he needed to plan & act on them, like he suddenly knew what Eye of Balor is when he explained it to Murph despite never encountered any Titan in his lifetime.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »
@toodeep #1 indeed, it's his domain being on the moon that makes me wonder if he's not Thoth or something. It being on the moon, and ways opening to things that sync up makes me think it's not a coincidence.