Author Topic: Money [BG Spoilers]  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Money [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 01:09:20 AM »
Harry already has a ready supply of compatible building material, the stones of the ruined lighthouse on Demonreach have a very similar warding, he can use those for repair AND to create a interior safe room for Maggie, two layers of warded stone.

It’s almost as though someone thought he might need it.....

The other repair job will be the cottage on Demonreach, make it a little less basic and a little more comfortable, plus use the rest of the Stone to expand it a little as a fall back position.

Whilst the Castle is perfect for standard training, the island would be better for combat training, or to stash other fugitives from the White Council, so fixing up the cottage also needs to be done.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 01:31:50 AM »
I feel like the answer here is Svartelves.  ...

Yeah, pretty sure they aren't going to help Harry with anything right now.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 02:10:40 AM »
They helped Harry getting the castle.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:06 AM »
Depends on if the theory that Evanna helped out with cornering Marcone because Harry cleared things up offscreen is correct or not.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 02:18:29 AM »
Depends on if the theory that Evanna helped out with cornering Marcone because Harry cleared things up offscreen is correct or not.
Or maybe Mab and Lara cleared things up. Harry only did his duty here because Lara borrowed Harry from Mab. We tend to forget it because Harry wanted to do it himself but in Sidhe terms and maybe also in svartalves terms Lara was the responsible one. She has to handle the diplomatic fallout and she was quite confident she could.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 02:20:37 AM »
They helped Harry getting the castle.

Actually she only confirmed that Harry did not have a place anymore.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
Actually she only confirmed that Harry did not have a place anymore.

“There was . . . damage to that apartment during the attack,” she politely lied.

Evanna literally lied or was selective with the truth to get help Harry.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 03:05:09 AM »
Or maybe Mab and Lara cleared things up. Harry only did his duty here because Lara borrowed Harry from Mab. We tend to forget it because Harry wanted to do it himself but in Sidhe terms and maybe also in svartalves terms Lara was the responsible one. She has to handle the diplomatic fallout and she was quite confident she could.
They do work that way, it's how Listen survived Bombshells.

“What about the turtlenecks?” I asked.
“What of them?"
“Will you … deal with them?”
Etri just looked at me. “Why would we?"
“They were sort of in on it,” I said.
“They were property,” said the svartalf. “If a man strikes you with a hammer, it is the man who is punished. There is no reason to destroy the hammer. We care nothing for them.”
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 03:34:04 AM »
Evanna literally lied or was selective with the truth to get help Harry.

That's some seriously squidgy gray area there. Would Evanna attempt to explain why Harry is not welcome as a guest in Molly's apartment or would she take the easy and more diplomatic way out by telling the selective truth?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:24 AM »
That's some seriously squidgy gray area there. Would Evanna attempt to explain why Harry is not welcome as a guest in Molly's apartment or would she take the easy and more diplomatic way out by telling the selective truth?
that's what I thought too. She found better purpose supporting Harry's claim than denying it when she didn't really want him there .

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
One question, what happened to Etri? Evanna was his second, but Etri just vanishes from the narrative.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 02:15:08 PM »
One question, what happened to Etri? Evanna was his second, but Etri just vanishes from the narrative.

I was wondering the same thing, was he killed in battle?  Or is he busy elsewhere and Evanna was just acting rep.  Titania wasn't there but Sarrissa was for example.

I believe Evanna was lying to help Harry, he pointed to her to confirm that the apartment was damaged and unlivable.  She confirmed it, though we know it survived the fire, unless it was damaged later in the attack.  I think she meant they could no longer make him welcome because his home there was no longer livable.

What I am wondering is why Harry is contracting Michael to help him make the castle livable and not the the elves?  Yes, I know friendship and all, but the reason Harry had hot water and modern light and heat was because of elf technology/magic.   Now Harry might not mind taking a cold shower when it is ten below zero in the winter time, but he has a daughter now, who might.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:25:12 PM by Mira »

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »
He'll need help for the lights and electricity, but plumbing(even hot water) is old tech and not something that he'll hex.

And as I said in another thread, Harry probably has a salary as the Winter Knight, he's just been too stubborn to ask for anything from Mab. Once the thought hits him that it's part of the deal he already made and his just due, it can most likely cover his expenses at the castle and the diamonds will do the renovations. Molly has an eight figure expense account, Harry can make do with a seven figure one.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
Yes, I know friendship and all, but the reason Harry had hot water and modern light and heat was because of elf technology/magic.   Now Harry might not mind taking a cold shower when it is ten below zero in the winter time, but he has a daughter now, who might.

With more space and a property he owns all of, hot water is achievable without help. Put a tank of water on an upper floor, heat it with fire magic, gravity feed it to showers on the lower floor. He'd have to charge it up manually every time, but that's not that big a deal to take care of the kid. People used to boil kettles over an open fire to have hot baths.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2020, 03:49:39 PM »
With more space and a property he owns all of, hot water is achievable without help. Put a tank of water on an upper floor, heat it with fire magic, gravity feed it to showers on the lower floor. He'd have to charge it up manually every time, but that's not that big a deal to take care of the kid. People used to boil kettles over an open fire to have hot baths.

Yes, and often there was someone in the home, with help to do all of the work. It takes time and effort, something Harry won't have a lot of.  I imagine he will reengage his Brownie Cleaning Service.
There was a show several years ago, it showed on PBS, it also was on BBCAmerica, families trying to live like they did in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was way more difficult than you think, even with magic I imagine.