Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21573 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:49 AM »
I'm still betting the archive itself has a mechanism to ensure its survival by procreation... And the only healthy male she has any connection to that didn't raise her is Harry..

Doubtful. If the Archive needs to find someone, she has all of Tinder in her head.

He mentions trying to catch her eye in PT, but she wouldn't look at him. I'd say she's just avoiding him because:

A) The Archive doesn't want to interact with him because The Archive has to remain neutral, and Harry has a tendency to pull people into his messes.

B) Ivy doesn't want to interact with him because she really freaking mad that he had Kincaid kill him.

Like, poor Ivy really has it rough. Harry needs to be better to his friends.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:12:47 AM by forumghost »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
Doubtful. If the Archive needs to find someone, she has all of Tinder in her head.

He mentions trying to catch her eye in PT, but she wouldn't look at him. I'd say she's just avoiding him because:

A) The Archive doesn't want to interact with him because The Archive has to remain neutral, and Harry has a tendency to pull people into his messes.

B) Ivy doesn't want to interact with him because she really freaking mad that he had Kincaid kill him.

ivy doesn't want all of tender, she wants someone who cares about her.
Or C) she has a simple crush and now that she's past puberty she doesn't know how to interact with him. Occam's razor. Shes never minded Harry's mess before, and she wanted Harry to live. She was mad at kincaid. What reason would she be mad at Harry for his own choice to die? Mmm, same reason ppl are often mad in RL, because they cared.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 06:28:52 AM »

Definitely!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2020, 11:49:12 AM »
ivy doesn't want all of tender, she wants someone who cares about her.
Or C) she has a simple crush and now that she's past puberty she doesn't know how to interact with him. Occam's razor. Shes never minded Harry's mess before, and she wanted Harry to live. She was mad at kincaid. What reason would she be mad at Harry for his own choice to die? Mmm, same reason ppl are often mad in RL, because they cared.

If it were just up to Ivy? Yes, but she is the Archive, and to care, is the road to insanity. I bet the Archive felt Ivy's pain and proceeded to remove her from the rest of the emotional world.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »
If it were just up to Ivy? Yes, but she is the Archive, and to care, is the road to insanity. I bet the Archive felt Ivy's pain and proceeded to remove her from the rest of the emotional world.
that would mean it's decided by who has the final say, Ivy or the archive? If Ivy didn't have some pull, then she wouldn't be mortal still and offering her a coin was a particularly useless plan.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:01:43 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2020, 01:12:20 PM »
that would mean it's decided by who has the final say, Ivy or the archive? If Ivy didn't have some pull, then she wouldn't be mortal still and offering her a coin was a particularly useless plan.

I think it is a bit more complicated.  According to Luccio, it is unusual for the host to inherit the Archive so early in life, poor Ivy it has been a domino effect really.  First her grandmother dies in an auto accident, the Archive goes to the seventeen year old daughter, who is pregnant and in love. Because she wanted the freedom to live a "normal life," she hated her mother for dying and putting this on her and hated her unborn daughter for a future of having a "normal life," while she has a lifetime of being the Archive, so she killed herself. 

So yes, when the Denarians kidnapped her, Ivy was vulnerable, or seemed that way to accepting a coin in the hopes that it might insure she had a "normal life."  However except for some flashes of childlike behavior, the Archive has run the show more than Ivy has.  Ivy has no clue of what a normal life is, because she never had one.  So yeah, the bottom line, is the Archive was running the show and offering a coin was a pretty useless plan.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
I'd rather disagree with most of those statements.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 01:35:35 PM »
I'd rather disagree with most of those statements.

First of all, Ivy is a mortal, all the Archive hosts are mortal women, they all die eventually.  Most live for many years before that happens and their daughters live normal vanilla lives until that day when they inherit the Archive. The hosts become Spocklike for lack of a better term to remain sane, because if they didn't, their emotional selves would be at constant war with their Archive self that deals strictly in the facts, not the emotions.  Ivy's mother had a small window to make her emotional decision, suicide rather than submit to an unemotional life as the Archive. 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
And I still by and large disagree with most of your original statements.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2020, 01:42:16 PM »
So what do you disagree with?  And what are your ideas.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »
So what do you disagree with?  And what are your ideas.
sorry... My face is on fire from my tooth and I'm having trouble with coherent thoughts atm, I'll come back later. agony, pure unadulterated agony. Dumbledore drinking the green potion kinda agony...

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »

Right with you, especially the head shot vs body shot, but it is entirely possible that Ivy has far more important matters at play than Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »
sorry... My face is on fire from my tooth and I'm having trouble with coherent thoughts atm, I'll come back later. agony, pure unadulterated agony. Dumbledore drinking the green potion kinda agony...

My sympathies, I hope you can get into a dentist in this age of COVID.. 
Right with you, especially the head shot vs body shot, but it is entirely possible that Ivy has far more important matters at play than Harry.

She does, and understands that the Archive is more important so has removed her emotional self from the problem. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »
As Mira says, hope you can find a dentist soon. Meanwhile, I've found that having a couple of powdered aspirines appplied in the hurting tooth helps with the pain. Even better if you just use the tooth to chew a couple of aspirines, but sometimes it hurts too much to chew anything.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2020, 12:28:14 AM »
Ugh yea. Idk what to do when it flairs up like that. I try gargling benzocaine and I can still feel it so.. anyway though
I don't think the archive itself has more control so much as Ivy had leaned into the archive for support not knowing how to behave otherwise. The Archive only runs the show because Ivy doesn't know how to cope most of the time. If her mother managed suicide (there are conflicting stories on this, in one version she's dead, in another she's in a coma.. idk why the change...) Then not only did she manage to override the natural will to live but any inhibitions placed upon her by the archive itself to survive. That would seem to imply it's the host who has final say overall. The hosts started distancing themselves on purpose, not as an original function of the mantle itself but as a learned behavior. So it's not an internal mechanism per se. But an act of choice to preserve sanity for the host. Harry also named Ivy, much like he did Lash.. idk the scope of how that will effect things but it gave Ivy a portion of autonomy she may not have possessed before, having had no insulation from the archive previously. Could even effect the Mantle itself perhaps. She follows the archives total lead by choice, not by design though.