Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21558 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 11:55:53 PM »

Didn't talk to Ivy?  Yes, I understand she is totally into her Archive role now, but she is still Ivy.  I
believe that Ivy still sees Harry as a friend.  What I thought was weird, he didn't even give her
a head nod in acknowledgement or vice versa..
it's ivy giving him the cold shoulder that makes me think she'll be back to try to woo him lol. Idk, something about it... Like a kid with a crush whose none too cooth about what to do about it and way too nervous to openly confront it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 12:21:41 AM »

Didn't talk to Ivy?  Yes, I understand she is totally into her Archive role now, but she is still Ivy.  I
believe that Ivy still sees Harry as a friend.  What I thought was weird, he didn't even give her
a head nod in acknowledgement or vice versa..

Definitely! (I said it in another post). Even if Ivy was angry at him, he did not know that, so he could have smiled at her, or something. It is very weird that no description of ANY interaction were given. In fact, I am wondering if we will have a microfiction set before PT where for some reason they talked.
Similarly, I am surprised Harry didn't wonder where Kinkaid was. I don't think he knows Ivy fired him because of him. And it's like he totally forgot about Kinkaid (not even thinking on him when meeting Drakul).

And yes, Andi and Marci are the ones with the KotC at the end, while Will and Georgia are with Harry.

I got the impression that Christos lived.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 12:39:52 AM »

Apparently the story takes place right after Changes, when Kincaid get's back from shooting Harry.

Here is what goes down;
She seems pissed that he shot Harry in the chest and not the head.  I guess because Harry wanted to die, and Kincaid agreed to do it, and he didn't go for the sure kill shot.  She apparently also knows that Harry still lives because she says "He's my only other friend," not that he was her only other friend. 

You have it backwards. Ivy was telling Kincaid (who was on his way to Chicago to kill Harry) that if he Didn't shoot him in the chest she'd throw down with him.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 05:39:38 AM »
You have it backwards. Ivy was telling Kincaid (who was on his way to Chicago to kill Harry) that if he Didn't shoot him in the chest she'd throw down with him.
You're right, my bad..
Similarly, I am surprised Harry didn't wonder where Kinkaid was. I don't think he knows Ivy fired him because of him. And it's like he totally forgot about Kinkaid (not even thinking on him when meeting Drakul).

True, but Harry never liked Kinkaid very much, that might be why.  But he does like Ivy, and she likes him, sees him as a friend, but she totally ignores him.  Perhaps she knows if she greets him in any way, it will draw attention and that would not be good, especially for him.  He knows she has to appear totally neutral, and understands.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »
As this is about the topic, I repeat a post I did in other place:
"Also, TCF posted the transcription of an interview with Jim and he answers the question about Ivy. I post it here under a spoiler tag, so people can choose if read it or not (not everyone wants to know WoJ)
(click to show/hide)
"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:34:15 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
As this is about the topic, I repeat a post I did in other place:
"Also, TCF posted the transcription of an interview with Jim and he answers the question about Ivy. I post it here under a spoiler tag, so people can choose if read it or not (not everyone wants to know WoJ)
(click to show/hide)
"

Yes, that makes sense, I even said as much, but it is still a disappointment.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 07:29:13 PM »
it's ivy giving him the cold shoulder that makes me think she'll be back to try to woo him lol.
Please no.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 02:51:58 AM »
I think it's funny that some of us are complaining about what was left out of the books while others (and sometimes the same ones) are complaining that there was too much going on.

Both complaints are accurate.  There was too much “battle, battle, battle” and not enough actual character development.

The books were weak.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 03:42:57 AM »
Both complaints are accurate.  There was too much “battle, battle, battle” and not enough actual character development.

The books were weak.

There was some possible set up for Mirror Mirror, or what could be.  I just hope we don't have to wait six years to read it. 

As I said before the books had a kitchen sink feel to them.  I agree battle, battle, battle, and no character development makes for a weak story.  Like the final season of Game of Thrones, there was a lot of BOOM, but very little light and heat resulting in a lot of disappointed fans.

Offline DanceGeek5678

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
As long as we're listing things Peace Talks/Battleground seem missing, Where was the Leanansidhe? All the fey turn out, from the Gobblin King to both courts of the Sidhe, to all the local wild fey. Basically everyone, EXCEPT the one fey whomis said to be stronger than all save Mab. Why? What gives there? That extra punch might have saved lives. Where was she?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »
As long as we're listing things Peace Talks/Battleground seem missing, Where was the Leanansidhe? All the fey turn out, from the Gobblin King to both courts of the Sidhe, to all the local wild fey. Basically everyone, EXCEPT the one fey whomis said to be stronger than all save Mab. Why? What gives there? That extra punch might have saved lives. Where was she?

At the Outer Gates, dealing with an attack. Molly mentions it when she gives Harry his change of clothes.

The general rule Jim has given us is that Lea is where Mab isn't.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:13 AM »
There is that matter of Harry using Kincaid to kill himself. In one day she was robbed of all her close contacts. She won’t take that lightly. No way to know what she thinks about Harry now.

JB obviously had an agenda for how the suicide when down, his world so his right to play it his way.

Harry asked Molly to use Neuromancy KNOWING that it will harm her, KNOWING that it violated her probation, KNOWING that his death also means hers, KNOWING that she loves him and this will TEAR HER UP inside yet that's his first choice. He chooses Murphy's mantoy, Ivy's only other "family" member as the tool. I was kind of hoping Ivy would tell him where he could go and what he could do with himself when he got there. Molly deserves SO much better then Harry too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:20:15 AM by StrayDog »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 01:23:40 AM »
Did you mean Ivy, and if you did I upvote this by a 1000.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:12 AM »
JB obviously had an agenda for how how the suicide when down, his world so his right to play it his way.

Harry asked Molly to use Neuromancy KNOWING that it will harm her, KNOWING that it violated her probation, KNOWING that his death also means hers, KNOWING that she loves him and this will TEAR HER UP inside yet that's his first choice. He chooses Murphy's mantoy, Lily's only other "family" member as the tool. I was kind of hoping Lily would tell him where he could go and what he could do with himself when he got there. Molly deserves SO much better then Harry too.

"his death also means hers". What? It is clear that is was not what happened. Also

1) I have been discussed for year that "you don't invade the mind of others" is not the same as "you cannot enter in another's mind if they are willing". So, I don't think that violated her probation.
2) Molly would be seriously hurt (specially being as sensitive as she is), sad and guilty, but Harry was in a place too dark to realize that. It is not uncommon for suicides in the real world to seriously understimate their importance in other people's lives. I don't think that make them bad people, only too damaged.
3) He did not know that Ivy would know that Kinkaid was involved. How many people do you think Harry could have used instead?
4) Harry is a very traumathized man who is trying who do his best. Molly is an actual warlock who is also trying to do her best. I don't think she is so much deserving that him.
Missing you, Md 

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 04:18:58 AM »
Did you mean Ivy, and if you did I upvote this by a 1000.

Yes I did, problems with typing while distractions in the house. Original corrected, thanks.