Author Topic: Airsoft Vigilante [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Airsoft Vigilante [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
I would assume that concern for being caught with an illegal weapon goes out the window when we're off to commit some murder.  Taking a toy to go fight some monsters feel to me like a good way to get your face eaten.  On the other hand, if you took a good sized hollow point round, 45acp maybe, and added a penetrator like an AP round, something bimetal like the M995 with tungsten and steel, and then filled the cavity of the bullet with holy water and sealed it up...  Now we're getting somewhere.  Shotgun is still probably superior, but you could lay down a lot of pain with a modern subgun and a round like that.
If you get pulled over or found with illegal AP and hollow-point ammo, the cops aren't going to let you walk away.

And this is theoretically your average Joe citizens trying to be vigilantes, not people with access to military grade ammo.  Sure, I'm sure there are civilians that could get it, but the legal risk is very high, and the cops are going to have to be out in force to keep the peace.  Especially if there are vigilantes increasing the already considerable gun violence in Chicago.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 03:50:20 AM »
If you get pulled over or found with illegal AP and hollow-point ammo, the cops aren't going to let you walk away.

And this is theoretically your average Joe citizens trying to be vigilantes, not people with access to military grade ammo.  Sure, I'm sure there are civilians that could get it, but the legal risk is very high, and the cops are going to have to be out in force to keep the peace.  Especially if there are vigilantes increasing the already considerable gun violence in Chicago.
M995 isn't legally considered armor piercing. I have some in my room. It wouldn't be my first choice in 5.56 for self defense, but monster hunting would have different priorities depending on the monster. I'm pretty sure hollow points are only illegal in New Jersey.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 04:46:58 AM »
M995 isn't legally considered armor piercing. I have some in my room. It wouldn't be my first choice in 5.56 for self defense, but monster hunting would have different priorities depending on the monster. I'm pretty sure hollow points are only illegal in New Jersey.
I think acquiring M995 is pretty difficult and going to cross legal lines, at least for the seller. 

And then there's Illinois law.
Illinois prohibits the knowing manufacture, sale, purchase, possession, or carrying of any armor-piercing bullet, dragon's breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell. ... Illinois prohibits the sale, manufacture or acquisition and possession of exploding ammunition.

You'd have to use black tips to really hurt the Sidhe or fairies, because lead isn't going to do much to them.  At that point you'd have an easier time hitting them with iron or steel ball beings for cost/round, to say nothing of availability. 

In the case of black Court, even AP might not do much other than punch holes to degrade musculature functionality.

And walking around with Airsoft or bb guns is not going to draw as much attention or scrutiny or legal trouble as hollow points or legal/illegal AP.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 05:25:10 AM »
I think acquiring M995 is pretty difficult and going to cross legal lines, at least for the seller. 
I was thinking about M855. Greentip, not blacktip.  :-\

I googled to see if HP's were illegal in Illinois and found out that dragon's breath shot shells are. Someone should have told Harry.  ;D I also wouldn't be surprised if greentip was illegal in IL.

You'd have to use black tips to really hurt the Sidhe or fairies, because lead isn't going to do much to them.  At that point you'd have an easier time hitting them with iron or steel ball beings for cost/round, to say nothing of availability.

In the case of black Court, even AP might not do much other than punch holes to degrade musculature functionality.
I'd want to go with something with a detachable magazine so I could switch out between loads for different kinds of threats, but I also think shotguns probably have the best ability to load things deadly/harmful to various threats. There aren't a lot of shotguns with detachable magazines.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
I was thinking about M855. Greentip, not blacktip.  :-\

I googled to see if HP's were illegal in Illinois and found out that dragon's breath shot shells are. Someone should have told Harry.  ;D I also wouldn't be surprised if greentip was illegal in IL.
You might get away with green tip in a rifle in Illinois, apparently, but it's not clear-cut.

I'd want to go with something with a detachable magazine so I could switch out between loads for different kinds of threats, but I also think shotguns probably have the best ability to load things deadly/harmful to various threats. There aren't a lot of shotguns with detachable magazines.
Many airsoft and bb gun options are out there with detachable magazines.  And there are enough shotguns compatible with box and drum magazines.  Having shells on hand filled with iron shavings and garlic and ghost dust would be very handy.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »
I wonder what depleted uranium would do to your barrel.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 11:50:59 PM »
Harry's comments at the end of BG suggest we may see civilian vigilantes taking to the streets. That got me thinking about makeshift weapons against supernatural creatures again, and an update to Harry's paintball gun.

Specifically, the Airsoft Vigilante.
  • Airsoft weapons are legal in Illinois but illegal in Chicago, so 'don't get caught' would still be a goal.
  • Guns themselves are available in many places, including online.
  • Custom ammo could theoretically be made to be lethal to monsters but not humans; in some cases, enough to shred them like paper.
    • Iron balls - Sidhe/Faeries
    • Garlic balls (holy water plus garlic powder/salt plus pressure to make dense) - Black Court
    • Inherited silver balls - Loup garou and maybe others?
    • Ghost dust balls - Ghosts

What other ammo could be made to target specific threats?  And what other weapons could be made by the general public?

I am partial to aerosol things. Powdered garlic, silver or iron in aerosol, holy water steam. Also, fire. Fire burns in this world and in the other.
And for the army, hydrant vehicles could create running water mini streams.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)