Author Topic: Outsiders and Walkers.  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Outsiders and Walkers.
« on: October 02, 2020, 04:44:22 AM »
Something I picked up in Battle Ground.

And an Outsider with the power of a Walker

This is curious.

What exactly is a Walker? I have found almost nothing across fiction apart from Planeswalkers.

And while clearly not all Outsiders are Walkers, could a Walker also not be an Outsider? What special gifts do Walkers have in particular?

Now I know in some ways Jim has seemed to suggest that the Walkers are three special Outsiders with incredible power (that ranges from being "as big as Mab, but unbearably deeper" to Uriel-level might). It seems that they can only exercise their power at specific moments too.

But why call them Walkers? Where exactly do they Walk? Before, Beside and Behind...a person? A being? The Army of Outsiders? The events the Outsiders create?

Perhaps they can Walk across multiple realities, as some (including myself) have wondered for a long time.

Thoughts?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders and Walkers.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 05:19:11 AM »
I think it was said they were Outsider Knights, in service to the Lord of Slowest Terror (summarized by two different scenes in the Raith Deeps, coincidence of location?)

As to the deeper than Mab thing, it's been speculated that the Walkers are Transdimensional like Angels, meaning they're aware of themselves and their existence in all realities simultaneously.  Mab, for all her local power, is only aware of her local self, and not all the hers in other realities. She's a single sliver of all of them, but the Walkers are just all of them all the time.

As to the name Walker, probably because they're the ones that walk within reality the most. Other Outsiders aren't individually important, and might come and go with summonings. But the Walkers spend all their time walking within reality, surrounding their opponents before, beside, and behind.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »
Gathering from various things said during the spell in blood rites and by Nicodemus in SG I gather that they walk the paths to reality, looking for a suitable host perhaps.
I'm interested in what nic meant when he said,"I am my path." He's mortal right..? Though, maybe starborn?
... And that above quote, could mean walkers are not inherently outsiders?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:31:01 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 02:59:00 AM »
Huh. It also makes you wonder what an Outsider is or isn't an Outsider. It's been said that Outsiders are the foot soldiers of the Old Ones and the Walkers were the Knights of the Old Ones.

Are they all Outsiders, but the Old Ones and Walkers are specific subsets so they aren't referred to as Outsiders and the term Outsider is generally reserved for the "unimportant" ones?

Also, Harry's beat every Walker now.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »
The implication from Behind in the Ghost Story flashback is that the world, or the space it occupies, was once their domain.

It could be as simple as the Old Ones predate the creation of reality, and the Outsiders are those born afterwards, who are lesser than their predecessors.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »
The implication from Behind in the Ghost Story flashback is that the world, or the space it occupies, was once their domain.

It could be as simple as the Old Ones predate the creation of reality, and the Outsiders are those born afterwards, who are lesser than their predecessors.
It is the human mindset. You can not have a god, devil, titan elder being etc. Without a complete hierarchy from peon to king and emperor.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]