Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 56843 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »
Not 25 books, but we are only in 16 (PT/BG would be one), and that is not much different than the whole Asimov arch iwith Foundation. It is different, though, because there is not a single main character.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2020, 03:00:20 AM »
But now I read it as being bored with more than just the single book, then I guess there is not much hope.

On Butters, I reread my post, but I cannot figure out what you mean.
This by you.
I mainly paid attention to that Harry managed to shut up and not make fun of him.
Butter's threatened him if he did, and that was the point. Butters is a tough guy.  Jim, for as much as he talks about it doesn't do sex.  People are jarred by it because it is out of character. And you can't go anywhere with Butters along that line unless Harry gets in bed with him,  the books are written in the first person.

I'm 67 and I've read a lot, I was hoping for something I haven't seen. Covid isn't helping.

@Dina
I read the Foundation Trilogy in my teens, I've peeked at the other books.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2020, 04:02:24 AM »
I don't think that, Butters is one of my favorite characters, I called it and got credit for predicting he'd be a Knight of the Cross someday.  What bothers me about the two chick thing is it seems so out of character for him.  It is like Jim is trying too hard to make Butters cool, and it falls flat.  What makes Butters such a great character in my opinion is he is small and often scared for his body, but intellectually he is a hero.  He takes stands for the truth, and does his best.  The two chick thing is a distraction, maybe he has been hanging around Bob for too long?  Sigh.... Polka will never die!

He’s turned Butters into the male hetero geek wish fulfillment character.  I liked Butters much better as the sincere, smart, caring, and terrified character he was introduced as.  I’d rather he stayed “vanilla” with Bob for help.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2020, 04:21:04 AM »
I'm sure Jim will continue to be successful with or without my approval. But just out of curiosity could you name a series with 25 books that has an over arching back story? I'm currently bored to tears.

The Wizard of Oz... ::)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2020, 04:42:42 AM »
The Wizard of Oz... ::)
Only 14 books were written by Baum.  Jim has upped the case count to 22 and stated that time travel won't happen till the last book before the BAT. That according to Reddit. Apparently from his video with Marsters.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2020, 04:51:44 AM »
Only 14 books were written by Baum.  Jim has upped the case count to 22 and stated that time travel won't happen till the last book before the BAT. That according to Reddit. Apparently from his video with Marsters.
link it pls,

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2020, 05:00:01 AM »

21 books in the Brother Cadfael series, then there are the Perry Mason books.. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2020, 07:00:38 AM »
link it pls,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPu4pfWTQu0&feature=youtu.be
Watch out for news about a short story that interested me a lot and a surprise appearance of Fenris the cat almost at the end of the video.

Mira, oh yes, I did not realize there were many "procedural" books, like the Poirot ones, or the Mrs Marple, Father Brown, Spencer, Ellery Queen, etc. I have a read a couple of Perry Mason books myself. But this is different, I think, because it is a long story not "one shots".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 07:37:08 AM »
  21 books in the Brother Cadfael series, then there are the Perry Mason books.. 
Still not 25.  However I'll stop if you will.

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
@Dina. Thank you.

So... If book 20 is the TT book... I thought we already had confirmation previously book 20 was the Dragon book!? Also... Per the original 5 book cycle that should be the denarians book.. wth is going on in book twenty!? TT, Dragons and denarians oh my...

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
No. There will be 22 books + BAT. If TT is the last before BAT it will be book 22. Book 18 will be MM, book 19 probably wrestling, 20 - 21 will be dragon and revenge against drakul (I don't know if one book each or one book both of them). Character development will be one of those, only Jim knows which.
Missing you, Md 

Online The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2020, 08:54:41 AM »
No. There will be 22 books + BAT. If TT is the last before BAT it will be book 22. Book 18 will be MM, book 19 probably wrestling, 20 - 21 will be dragon and revenge against drakul (I don't know if one book each or one book both of them). Character development will be one of those, only Jim knows which.
I don't like compromising book 16 as two case files.. it's still considered 1 file in my head canon lol. We have three books left until the BAT I believe still yes? That'd be #20?
These extra two books didn't used to exist either.. so the last book should still be considered book twenty per the original cycle no? He's added files to the in-between I believe.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2020, 08:58:09 AM »
And he might get a nice idea and add another one.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
I don't like compromising book 16 as two case files.. it's still considered 1 file in my head canon lol. We have three books left until the BAT I believe still yes? That'd be #20?
These extra two books didn't used to exist either.. so the last book should still be considered book twenty per the original cycle no? He's added files to the in-between I believe.
As you wish, but we are still 5 books away of the BAT. (at least, with his current plan. Of course, he can change his mind)
Missing you, Md 

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »
This by you.Butter's threatened him if he did, and that was the point. Butters is a tough guy.

Come on, Butters can't threaten Harry with physical violence without his kotc status to back it up. Anything that Butters ever asks Harry to do Harry only does because he agrees or because he respects Butters wishes. The level 3 paladin/lvl 5 expert does not threaten the level 12 wizard/lvl 8 Barbarian.