Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 56960 times)

Offline happyelf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
Yeah I still think people are counting Dresden contacting people for help as social interaction when its obviously not and while stuff can have happened off page I still think Dresden inner monologues really strongly implies otherwise I would also agree that the problem proably lies with the kitchen sink approach taken.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Yes, I said I agree in that with Mira but I feel that his inner monologue indicates that he didn't write her. And I also agree, he has not idea Ivy is upset with him (or what happened with Kinkaid). So yes, appearances are important.

Yes, they are important, and the Archive was who was at the talks, and giving the briefings afterwards, not Ivy. 

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2020, 04:37:22 PM »
After hours of conversation about PT/BG, my friend asked me to summarize my feelings about Harry in two or three non-vulgar descriptors. My response:

Narcissistic Puke

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »
After hours of conversation about PT/BG, my friend asked me to summarize my feelings about Harry in two or three non-vulgar descriptors. My response:

Narcissistic Puke

Really??

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder

Grandiose sense of self-importance. ...
    Lives in a fantasy world that supports their delusions of grandeur. ...
    Needs constant praise and admiration. ...
    Sense of entitlement. ...
    Exploits others without guilt or shame. ...
    Frequently demeans, intimidates, bullies, or belittles others.

Maybe a couple of things in there, but for the most part those traits don't fit Harry. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »

Narcissistic Puke

Really? Wow, just wow.
I think arrogant or selfish fit him better than narcissistic but my definition would be very different. Something like annoying hero or silly hero, something like that. Even when sometimes I want to shake him by the shoulders, in general I like him. I wouldn't be reading the series if that were not the case.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2020, 08:40:00 PM »
Heroic monster, or monsterous hero.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
Byronic wizard. Depending on where we are in the series I might add whiny.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »

Really??

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder

Maybe a couple of things in there, but for the most part those traits don't fit Harry.

Harry has checked off each and every one of those indicators on several occasions, some in every book. Not sure why you are so surprised by my opinion. I couldn't disagree more with your opinion that those traits don't fit.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2020, 01:21:53 AM »
Really? Wow, just wow.
I think arrogant or selfish fit him better than narcissistic but my definition would be very different. Something like annoying hero or silly hero, something like that. Even when sometimes I want to shake him by the shoulders, in general I like him. I wouldn't be reading the series if that were not the case.

Not sure why you also are so surprised by my opinion. I don't remember if I ever considered him a hero. At best I would say his actions at that time were heroic. For 15 books I liked him as well, some books more than others but generally liked him. Each time I hoped that he would learn, improve, be better or even try to overcome some issues. I wouldn't be wasting money on the series if I didn't enjoy reading it. BG in particular was so poorly written that I am becoming bored with having to think up excuses for Harry's behavior just to keep reading.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2020, 01:46:01 AM »
Well, it surprised me that someone who read so many books didn't like Harry. And if you generally liked him for 15 books I don't think him so different now. Yes, there are things I did not like about him but well, I suppose the things I like are more than the things I don't.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:49 AM »
Well, it surprised me that someone who read so many books didn't like Harry. And if you generally liked him for 15 books I don't think him so different now. Yes, there are things I did not like about him but well, I suppose the things I like are more than the things I don't.

It is entirely possible that a significant portion of why I currently don't like Harry is that he isn't different now, after all that he has been through, ie no growth. The author has resorted back to the default traits of his primary character. Mind you, I'm attempting to cook down several hours of in depth conversation into a small paragraph.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
I understand, don't worry.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »

Let's see, first of all the Files are written in the first person.  They are written from Harry's point of view, he is also the focus of a lot of it.  Is this narcissism? Or the fact that he is at the center of a lot of it.  Memoirs are like that, Harry does play a major role, not just that he sees himself in the major role.

I don't think Harry sees himself grand or self-important.. Others might, in his memoirs Harry reports that.  Now it could all be a lie.

Harry knows he is a powerful wizard, but he is constantly saying this wizard or that is more powerful, or a better person.  It isn't a delusion that he is a star born, that he is the Winter Knight or that he is Warden of Demonreach.  Those are facts.

We all need a little praise and admiration from time to time, Harry is no different.  However he doesn't beg for it nor does he need to be admired by others.  He notes when he is praised, but if it actually happened it is just a note in the files..

We all think we deserve or are entitled from time to time, Harry doesn't seem to have a sense of false entitlement beyond what is his due as a wizard. 
If you don't get that Harry feels guilt and shame sometimes out of proportion to what is he due, then I am not sure what books you are reading.  I don't think he goes out of his way to exploit others either.  If someone saves his bacon, he admits.

That doesn't fit Harry.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2020, 12:47:33 AM »
I doubt narcissistic personality disorder. But like most people he has a fairly large blind spot for understanding what living around him means.  As an example, he lived in a basement apartment and ended up getting two of his neighbors burned out  He knew his presence had made it a combat zone. And yet his little apartment was a greater imperative then his neighbors safety.  As if shoveling the snow made up for that. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2020, 12:49:40 AM »
His back was broken saving one neighbour of the fire, so I say he cares for them.
Missing you, Md