Author Topic: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?  (Read 41534 times)

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2020, 01:09:18 AM »
  I think Lara is way older than Luccio, maybe by a couple of hundred years.

Still younger than Mab and Lashiel

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
As to her age, I think BrainFireBob has it closest with her being a little older than the Merlin and Eb, but nowhere near 1000.

So oldest to youngest ....
Lashiel at over 2,100
Mab was a contemporary of Merlin (5th or 6th century wasn't he?) so say 1,400
Lara was from before portraits were popular so 500 or even 600
Luccio 210
Molly 30

He does like 'em older ...

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »
Lashiel at over 2,100
Luccio 210
Molly 30

If you're talking preference, I think his past loves Elaine, Susan and Murphy kind of matter too - and those weren't old.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:29 AM »
If you're talking preference, I think his past loves Elaine, Susan and Murphy kind of matter too - and those weren't old.

My comment was definitely tongue in cheek

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2020, 06:54:29 AM »
Lashiel at over 2,100
Luccio 210
Molly 30

What was it, that Harry's Alter-Id said about Luccio?  "There's something to be said about experience."

On a different tack, Mab said something about Lara; which is open to different interpretations, but one of those relates directly to Harry.  After Harry told Mab that she was forcing him into something that shouldn't be forced, the Queen of Air and Darkness replied, "Yes, I am.  Because I judge it necessary.  Our world has just become infinitely more uncertain and dangerous.  We must become stronger and more stable to face it, securing both the appearance and fact of a secure alliance with a competent partner.  This is more important than any given person or their petty desires.  Including yours." 

I think the obvious interpretation is that Mab wants to secure Lara Raith; someone Mab sees as highly competent, as an ally.  However, there could also be a second meaning here.  Mab may also believe her Knight needs a competent partner to work with and Lara Raith could help Harry; I not certain here, make Harry a better, more effective monster weapon.

Mab is not trying to create a Love Connection and Harry's dates with Lara won't look like an episode of The Bachelor.  I could see Harry saying to Mab, "You know Lara will try to enslave and devour me."  To which Mab will reply, "Don't be ridiculous, I saw the burns on Ms. Raith.  She got them touching you, didn't she?  You're protected from Lara Raith and any of the other Raiths."  Harry will then fallback.  "You know that protection can very easily be lost."  Mab: "Then you'd better hold on to it, especially as you may be married to Lara Raith for some time."  Harry, "Wait, I'm going to be married to the Queen of the Succubi, but I have to remain celibate?"  Mab: "You've been celibate before and you rejected the entreaties the numerous sidhe ladies who made their desires known to you at your birthday party.  Really wizard, I don't see how this is any different.  Plus, didn't you say that you didn't want Lara Raith to enslave you?  This is the most effective way to prevent that from happening."

By the way, in a very recent interview Jim said that over the next year he will release some fiction that will show Harry over the next 12 months making official visits and appearances as the Winter Knight.  Presumably Lara Raith will be at these functions.  Jim didn't say if this will be a short story or microfiction. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
By the way, in a very recent interview Jim said that over the next year he will release some fiction that will show Harry over the next 12 months making official visits and appearances as the Winter Knight.  Presumably Lara Raith will be at these functions.  Jim didn't say if this will be a short story or microfiction. 

Oh good, but does he have any clue as to when he will write the next book?

On a different tack, Mab said something about Lara; which is open to different interpretations, but one of those relates directly to Harry.  After Harry told Mab that she was forcing him into something that shouldn't be forced, the Queen of Air and Darkness replied, "Yes, I am.  Because I judge it necessary.  Our world has just become infinitely more uncertain and dangerous.  We must become stronger and more stable to face it, securing both the appearance and fact of a secure alliance with a competent partner.  This is more important than any given person or their petty desires.  Including yours."

I think Mab is underestimating Harry and it has been a long time since she was with anyone in a marriage or something close.  Her cemented alliance could totally blow up in a few years or less if
the two people in question really come to work against one another. 

Mab is not trying to create a Love Connection and Harry's dates with Lara won't look like an episode of The Bachelor.  I could see Harry saying to Mab, "You know Lara will try to enslave and devour me."  To which Mab will reply, "Don't be ridiculous, I saw the burns on Ms. Raith.  She got them touching you, didn't she?  You're protected from Lara Raith and any of the other Raiths."  Harry will then fallback.  "You know that protection can very easily be lost."  Mab: "Then you'd better hold on to it, especially as you may be married to Lara Raith for some time."  Harry, "Wait, I'm going to be married to the Queen of the Succubi, but I have to remain celibate?"  Mab: "You've been celibate before and you rejected the entreaties the numerous sidhe ladies who made their desires known to you at your birthday party.  Really wizard, I don't see how this is any different.  Plus, didn't you say that you didn't want Lara Raith to enslave you?  This is the most effective way to prevent that from happening."

As I said, Mab has no clue, I think it will blow up in her face, especially since it appears that Molly is on his side and Lara doesn't appear to be thrilled about it either.  So I think the three of them will come up with a solution, and Mab will say that was what she wanted all along but they needed an incentive to make it happen. Then she will add that, wasn't she clever to work it the way that she did?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »
If Lara, Molly and Harry find some smart and better way to give Mab what she wants she will only applaud it. Purpose triumphs everything.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2020, 01:37:49 PM »
If Lara, Molly and Harry find some smart and better way to give Mab what she wants she will only applaud it. Purpose triumphs everything.

I think that is what I said?  She will also let them know how clever she was to set it up like she did, so they'd figure out a way to come up with the most effective solution.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
What was it, that Harry's Alter-Id said about Luccio?  "There's something to be said about experience."

LOL yes

Mab is not trying to create a Love Connection and Harry's dates with Lara won't look like an episode of The Bachelor. 

What??!!?? A female character that isn't reduced to chasing Harry around with her uterus? Mab doesn't underestimate anyone or anything. She puts multiple plans in action to cover any outcome. Maybe Lara will succeed in pulling Harry's narcissistic head out of his sanctimonious rear long enough to get a breath of fresh air.

... and Molly deserves better!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:07:31 PM by StrayDog »

Offline Doughnut Despot

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
A few things I haven't seen mentioned that are worth noting:

Mab was proud Harry didn't give into the Winter Mantle. Then Murph dies and he does give in until the knights stop him. I say she DOES care about his mental/emotional state, because the last lady/knight for winter let the mantel run them which was why they had to be eliminated. It wasn't just about replacing the missing political link between the White Court and Winter, it was about trying to help Harry avoid the fate of the last Winter Knight. Mab has heavily invested in him and doesn't want it all spoiled by the death of one mortal.

And Harry just finishes lecturing them about making the situation right with the mortal world, when Mab decides he gets a replacement romantic interest. IMO, he kinda brought this one on himself.

And I strongly think she's planning something that has nothing to do with the marriage or politics, but needs both these two together. Call it fae foresight for the future books.

IMO both Molly and Harry may end up leaving the Winter Court in the future, after the coming implosion of the White Council happens, and both are safe from their threats. I can see Elaine becoming the Winter Lady in place of Molly. I suspect Harry will end up Merlin in the Post-White-Council meltdown aftermath, and him marrying his original love, Elaine as the bridge to Winter. Mab could potentially gain more by not keeping them on her team forever, but just sheltering them until the Wizard world gets it's crap together.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:57:45 PM by Doughnut Despot »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »
IMO both Molly and Harry may end up leaving the Winter Court in the future, after the coming implosion of the White Council happens, and both are safe from their threats. I can see Elaine becoming the Winter Lady in place of Molly. I suspect Harry will end up Merlin in the Post-White-Council meltdown aftermath, and him marrying his original love, Elaine as the bridge to Winter. Mab could potentially gain more by not keeping them on her team forever, but just sheltering them until the Wizard world gets it's crap together.

Actually I had a thought about that while walking the dogs this morning.  Butters rendered a great service to Mab by pulling the iron rebar out of her neck.  She told him she owes him a favor.  So what if in the end after the BAT is over Butters calls in his favor, Mab must free both Harry and Molly from their mantles.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
I've always thought Harry's ability to resist the winter mantle is what makes him an excellent winter knight actually yes. It's meant to mold you not by what it does, but by how you must resist it.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:23 PM »
A few things I haven't seen mentioned that are worth noting:

Mab was proud Harry didn't give into the Winter Mantle. Then Murph dies and he does give in until the knights stop him. I say she DOES care about his mental/emotional state, because the last lady/knight for winter let the mantel run them which was why they had to be eliminated. It wasn't just about replacing the missing political link between the White Court and Winter, it was about trying to help Harry avoid the fate of the last Winter Knight. Mab has heavily invested in him and doesn't want it all spoiled by the death of one mortal.

And Harry just finishes lecturing them about making the situation right with the mortal world, when Mab decides he gets a replacement romantic interest. IMO, he kinda brought this one on himself.

And I strongly think she's planning something that has nothing to do with the marriage or politics, but needs both these two together. Call it fae foresight for the future books.

Excellent points all!!!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
Actually I had a thought about that while walking the dogs this morning.  Butters rendered a great service to Mab by pulling the iron rebar out of her neck.  She told him she owes him a favor.  So what if in the end after the BAT is over Butters calls in his favor, Mab must free both Harry and Molly from their mantles.
That is probably too big, you must be careful with these things. Harry was very smart to only ask for a doughnut.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

Also an excellent possibility