Author Topic: Rudolph: Battlegrounds Heavy Spoilers  (Read 10533 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Rudolph: Battlegrounds Heavy Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »
Murphy was killed by Snake Boys curse.
“Do you know why I wanted Murph to stay out of the fight?” I asked. “Because you’d given up on her,” Michael said. “No, it was because I’d given up on . . . Oh, yes.” I cleared my throat. “On some level, I had written her off. I knew I was going to be out there without her watching my back.” Die alone, whispered a voice in my memory.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 370). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Snake Boy is looking at you next Lara, run, run! ;) 

I still say he should have frozen the jerk and given him to Mab for her garden.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
No, remember when Harry said that, Gard said she wouldn't return until all mortal memory of her is gone, and added that she deserves her rest.  I cannot see her returning even in a spin off, because anyone associated with Harry would know and remember Murphy if only by what Harry has told them.  She is also in print, so no, I doubt seriously if she returns.
Gard is also in print under her old name. I think history books and sagas are not included, just people remembering her.

And Harry won’t stay mortal, there is too much foreshadowing for it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »
Gard is also in print under her old name. I think history books and sagas are not included, just people remembering her.

And Harry won’t stay mortal, there is too much foreshadowing for it.
But Gard is a Valkyrie, she never was mortal, not the same as Murphy at all. 

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »
Where is that stated?

Gard solicited Murphy to join the Valkyries. This tells us they can recruit.

Gard had a nasty experience with a Grendelkin that a Valkyrie should not have been vulnerable to, implies former mortality.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
Where is that stated?

Gard solicited Murphy to join the Valkyries. This tells us they can recruit.

Gard had a nasty experience with a Grendelkin that a Valkyrie should not have been vulnerable to, implies former mortality.

No, I believe it was explained, much like the elves in LotR immortal doesn't mean you cannot be killed.  The Vakyrie are the daughters of Odin.. She said her family had a history with Grendelkin, she has sisters daughters of Odin, so what happened way back when, is a history of events between them.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
No, I believe it was explained, much like the elves in LotR immortal doesn't mean you cannot be killed.  The Vakyrie are the daughters of Odin.. She said her family had a history with Grendelkin, she has sisters daughters of Odin, so what happened way back when, is a history of events between them.

No, she explicitly says they are *not* daughters of Odin, but "he does like us to call him Daddy sometimes."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:09 PM »
No, she explicitly says they are *not* daughters of Odin, but "he does like us to call him Daddy sometimes."

No, in answer to Harry calling the Valkyrie "virgin daughters of Odin."  She gives him a big kiss and a wink and then says don't believe all that you read.  "Though to be honest, sometimes he doeslike us to call him Daddy."

Here is the quote from Battle Ground page366

I nodded.  Then after a while, I said, "If she's an Einherjar, now. . ."
Gard shook her head.  "Not until the memory of her has faded from the minds of those
that knew her.  That is a limit not even the Allfather may cross."

So Einherjar, not Valkyrie, and it is pretty clear that we will not be seeing her anymore in this series, because Harry isn't going to forget her.  I also take it to mean she cannot even be an Einherjar till all memory of her has faded.  In other words they don't want her to come back and have people know who she was.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 06:01:05 PM »
So what happens if, as is hinted, Harry becomes an immortal? Is the "within living memory" only apply to non-immortals?
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
Or he goes into stasis

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
No, in answer to Harry calling the Valkyrie "virgin daughters of Odin."  She gives him a big kiss and a wink and then says don't believe all that you read.  "Though to be honest, sometimes he doeslike us to call him Daddy."

Here is the quote from Battle Ground page366

So Einherjar, not Valkyrie, and it is pretty clear that we will not be seeing her anymore in this series, because Harry isn't going to forget her.  I also take it to mean she cannot even be an Einherjar till all memory of her has faded.  In other words they don't want her to come back and have people know who she was.

That have her as an Einherjar now because she died.

But Sigrun ran being a Valkyrie by her when she noted that Murphy was even blonde, and Odin liked that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
That have her as an Einherjar now because she died.

But Sigrun ran being a Valkyrie by her when she noted that Murphy was even blonde, and Odin liked that.
Perhaps, but unless Sigrun is lying to Harry, it is as she stated..  Einherjar... Yes, Gard did offer her a job in Aftermath, one as a security consultant for Marcone.  She then says that Vadderung might be interested in her, she even has the right hair color, but no, she doesn't offer Murphy a job specifically to be a Valkyrie.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »
Who is claiming Murphy isn't an Einherjar now?

The Valkyries are the security consultants. Seems like she offered Valkyrie in Aftermath. Turned it down. But when she died, she was collected for the Einherjar.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
Who is claiming Murphy isn't an Einherjar now?

The Valkyries are the security consultants. Seems like she offered Valkyrie in Aftermath. Turned it down. But when she died, she was collected for the Einherjar.

Gard said it. They don't become one until no one else remembers them. They are at rest now. Serve later
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline ntribley

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 03:40:37 AM »
I do think we will see Murphy again-  in the BAT. If the BAT actually is the equivalent if Ragnorak, wouldn’t that mean that ALL the Einherjarin join with Odin in that final battle? Also, we may see an alternate Murphy in Mirror Mirror.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 07:45:01 AM »
It's not just "bad luck" though.

The warning signs were all there. Rudolph was increasingly unstable and violent. Earlier in the book, he pointed his gun at Harry with a shaky hand and his finger on the trigger. "The gun in his hands shook. It was a miracle it didn't go off."

Then Bradley standing to the side of the door while knocking -- he's clearly expecting that Rudolph is a loose cannon who might fire at the door if anyone knocks. Then he's deranged -- blaming Dresden's "lies" for the Jotun and fomor swarming Chicago. Bradley has to physically knock Rudolph out to safely extract the kids.

Their error is that they never, ever considered Rudolph to be a serious threat. They're in high-adrenaline fight-or-flight mode for the Jotun, then they're in joking-post-fight-cooldown mode while Rudolph is ranting and pointing a gun at them.

The problem is the fact that however despicable Rudolph is, he is still fellow humans and not monsters. If Rudolph is another kind of being, even if he is just another pixie, this won't hhappened at all. This kind of thing would always be an issue unless Harry decide to go full darkside. Actually everyone has this weakness. We are vulnerable to the closest thing to ourselves. Harry rated the danger level of the White court higher than the red or the blacks for exactly this reason. The white court is too similar to humanity while the rampires and blampires will be something other no matter how dangerous or powerful they are. The same reason why I believe it when Lilly the late summer lady mentioned that Mab is vulnerable to the winter knight even though Lilly is stupid and Maeve is nemfected.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.