Author Topic: Rudolph's evidence doesn't make sense  (Read 9719 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Rudolph's evidence doesn't make sense
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »
Any search that leads to the bank leads to the iris scanner, and unless some very quick repair work is done, the mines in the wall would be revealed. Nothing in the banks inventory is stolen. And for large sums of cash there are some very funny rules.  This is a distraction.  Either Marcone, Lara or the agents of Nemesis.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2020, 02:33:43 AM »
Any search that leads to the bank leads to the iris scanner, and unless some very quick repair work is done, the mines in the wall would be revealed. Nothing in the banks inventory is stolen. And for large sums of cash there are some very funny rules.  This is a distraction.  Either Marcone, Lara or the agents of Nemesis.

Or old Rudy is just losing it, but has enough pull that he thinks he can make a great tree grow from a very small hill of beans, evidence wise.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 03:23:30 AM »
I think we are going to see not Rudolph’s breakdown, but his total destruction, his disgrace. Prison time for him and disgrace.

There is a theory on Reddit that The Man In The Suit is Rudolph and that he tries to kill Murphy and Harry. We see Harry generate a shield and use it offensively to grind the man in a suit into a wall when he pulls a gun on Harry.

Harry won’t kill with magic but he would be willing to injure.

If so this shows two things, Harry may no longer need his shield bracelet as a focus, and secondly Harry has figured out a defensive shield can be an offensive shield. I never understood why he hasn’t ever run a spherical shield around an enemy and then contracted it massively compacting them to basketball size, would work nicely for Blamps, or if in a room full of adversaries just expanded his shield suddenly to crush them against the walls all at the same time, or created a shield around an adversaries head and then contracted it whilst striking a Darth Vader pose.
I agree I think it would be more satisfying to see Rudy be humiliated and disgraced for his actions than killed. 

Interesting idea that Rudy is the Man in the Suit.

I would argue, based on previous data, Harry won't kill willingly. Doesn't mean he might not accidentally.

I think we have known since Cold Days that Harry doesn't need his magical foci. He prefers them for the same reasons even the most experienced Wizards do: safety. It's just easier and safer to have them. But where he would once have been almost helpless or ridiculously inaccurate without them, he now has enough self-control to replicate most of his normal evocation. But I think it tires him out mentally faster.

Agreed. But I doubt Marcone would allow anyone to examine anything to closely and anything they did find he would be able to silence.

As to the investigation...I think it hardly matters why it is IA. Other than it was a convenient way to bring back Rudolph. If Rudy is leading the charge it will be short lived, and the only important thing is to find out who is paying Rudy.

The relevant factors to do with the investigation have little to do with evidence, and wholly to do with the subjects of the investigation and the timing of it. Why Harry and Murphy? Why both? Why now? Solve those and it's pretty clear what's happening.

Cowl doesn't seem to use money or even mortal authorities, so he is unlikely to be involved at this level. If he wanted Dresden distracted he would send monsters or something far more distracting. It doesn't fit his style. Marcone...doesn't benefit from Harry being arrested but even assuming he did why bother using the law? His distractions in the past have been more murky. And smarter. He would more likely put Dresden in a situation where he made Dresden have to be the hero and protector/savior while going down for something. He knows Dresden's weakness is his constant need to do the right thing. And he might even do it in such a way that Harry wouldn't want to get out from under it. Look how skillfully he got Dresden to save his associate in Jury Duty.

No, this feels far more White Court or (had they still been alive) Red Court. In fact, it feels rather similar to when Mavra blackmailed Harry last time...and didn't Freydis just mention she had been seen recently? Lara or Mavra is my guess. Whichever it is tells us a bit more about their involvement with the Black Council and how they operate.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 07:34:08 AM »
Yes Mab has been training Harry since Cold Days to work without foci BUT Harry still needs them like a magic feather. Only when he is truly pushed to shield without a foci will he realise otherwise. I think Battle Ground will be that he realises he no longer needs his bracelet or blasting rod. He will have reached the point that a wizard a couple of centuries old will have and as such he can become more efficient in the use of his power.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
Yes Mab has been training Harry since Cold Days to work without foci BUT Harry still needs them like a magic feather. Only when he is truly pushed to shield without a foci will he realise otherwise. I think Battle Ground will be that he realises he no longer needs his bracelet or blasting rod. He will have reached the point that a wizard a couple of centuries old will have and as such he can become more efficient in the use of his power.
That happened in Skin Game, he came away from it with a shot to the leg he wouldn't have got with a shield bracelet. He's not completely dependent on it but it helps a lot.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
Mab kept trying to murder Harry during his recovery, partly to get him to work without foci, but also to rely on the Mantle.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Mab kept trying to murder Harry during his recovery, partly to get him to work without foci, but also to rely on the Mantle.

Or she was preparing him for what is in store for him, she knows he is star born.  What makes Harry an effective Knight isn't reliance on the Mantle.  The whole idea is control to control the Mantle, not for the Mantel to control him.  The Mantle is mindless, it is all adrenaline and reaction to stimulus.  It is up to the Knight to control that reaction, Slate couldn't do that and became a monster, it took a while but Harry seems to have found a way that he is comfortable with. Thus he can call on the Mantle when he needs it, recognize when it is yanking his chain inappropriately and tamp it down.     

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 04:23:48 PM »
Or he's the first wizard-knight, and they were expliring that together

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »
Or he's the first wizard-knight, and they were expliring that together

Is he though?  And that wouldn't necessarily mean just because he is a wizard he can or would control the Mantel.   

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2020, 06:21:13 AM »
Maybe so. I think that would be cool by and large and Harry doesn't seem to use his foci that much anymore. But then again, even the older Wizards and such use foci. All the Senior Council use staves, The Merlin even has a wand, Eb has a shield bracelet I think, Rashid still uses ointment for seeing through glamours, even Vadderung uses his Spear and Eldest Gruff has a staff. Perhaps it's a personal choice thing.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
Maybe so. I think that would be cool by and large and Harry doesn't seem to use his foci that much anymore. But then again, even the older Wizards and such use foci. All the Senior Council use staves, The Merlin even has a wand, Eb has a shield bracelet I think, Rashid still uses ointment for seeing through glamours, even Vadderung uses his Spear and Eldest Gruff has a staff. Perhaps it's a personal choice thing.

I believe Harry also says it take more energy to work magic without foci. They can do it, but why sprint and be tired after a mile when you can jog and last for 5 miles?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
All wizards use foci. It just gives a better result. But Harry had become too dependent on it and Mab knew about the circle at demonreach destroying all stuff not from the island. You can loose your stuff and that should not stop you. It might also be a Sidhe thing, Molly made comments About Harry needing his props.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
I believe Harry also says it take more energy to work magic without foci. They can do it, but why sprint and be tired after a mile when you can jog and last for 5 miles?

I think it is something that comes with age and experience, older wizards not needing them.  However he is learning, in his fight with Eb, he diverted the boulder that Eb sent towards the Water Beetle, and not waste a lot of energy by smashing it.. Eb even commented that he had learned something. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
The explanation has been without his lab he didn't have the capability to replace the foci. Plus Jim has been consistently over the years cluttering Harry up with junk.  A staff, a blasting rod, force rings, a bracelet and his amulet and the coat.  He needed to declutter.  Harry was starting to look like a cheesy wrestler.  And he gave him a car upgrade.  Imagine for a moment what Lara and Mab would have looked like in the rear of the Blue Beetle.

And, wait for it..............................his lab exists beneath the castle.  How convenient is that?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
The explanation has been without his lab he didn't have the capability to replace the foci. Plus Jim has been consistently over the years cluttering Harry up with junk.  A staff, a blasting rod, force rings, a bracelet and his amulet and the coat.  He needed to declutter.  Harry was starting to look like a cheesy wrestler.  And he gave him a car upgrade.  Imagine for a moment what Lara and Mab would have looked like in the rear of the Blue Beetle.

And, wait for it..............................his lab exists beneath the castle.  How convenient is that?

Well, he did need a bigger car..  That is if he gets the castle.  He must have a lab somewhere now, he made the blending potion. Here is another thought you may not like, if Murphy does die, Harry might inherit her house for him and Maggie to live in.  Much more wholesome than Macone's castle, and I really cannot see him turning it over to Harry if he does survive.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:02:01 PM by Mira »