Author Topic: "Stars and Stones..."  (Read 11995 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: "Stars and Stones..."
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »
This made me almost spew my food. But let's be honest, Harry would have high stats in Intelligence and Charisma (don't get me wrong, he uses wit a lot and is able to get people to follow him into the crazy, scary, frightening situations) but his stats in WISDOM are extremely low. Hence the not warding on the floors and his constant putting of foot in his mouth. He's very smart and can think quickly, but doesn't do so well with common sense and perception.

Yes but his corresponding stats in WISEASS are immeasurably high. Pity it does him absolutely no good at all.

And yes please, let’s have Uriel have to pick up the Kringle Mantle when Odin dies at Ragnarok /BAT with Sasha dressed as an especially heavily armed elf. The kids would wet themselves if they thought they had made the naughty list.

Imagine Sasha growling out “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town “ to a group of 5 year olds “You’d better watch out, you’d better not hide...” the parents would wet themselves, let alone the kids.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:49:43 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
This made me almost spew my food. But let's be honest, Harry would have high stats in Intelligence and Charisma (don't get me wrong, he uses wit a lot and is able to get people to follow him into the crazy, scary, frightening situations) but his stats in WISDOM are extremely low. Hence the not warding on the floors and his constant putting of foot in his mouth. He's very smart and can think quickly, but doesn't do so well with common sense and perception.

Of course not, in wizard years, Harry is still young..  He has seen a lot, but not like his peers that have a couple of hundred years under their belts.  He has done and does pretty well, considering, but he is going to make mistakes, that is how the young learn.  Harry also never had the benefit of proper training in ALL aspects of being a wizard.  Justin did teach him the basics and did that very well, but Justin also had a goal in mind for his young apprentice, so so much for ethics and theory and other things that go into a well rounded wizard.  Eb, when he got a hold of Harry was worried about having a powerful young time bomb on his hands.. He also had orders to kill his grandson if need be.  Eb also knew the mistakes he made with his daughter, so he eased off.  It isn't like he let Harry play, plenty of chores on that old farm in the Ozarks, however aside from a heavy dose of ethics and what magic should be, he didn't teach him a whole lot.  That comes through while they are battling the Cornerbreasts in Peace Talks.. So the practical side of things Harry has had to teach himself the last twenty years... That is barely a blink of an eye in the life of a wizard.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
Harry is a bit of an idiot savant, with emphasis on the idiot.

He is in his own words “Kinda smart” but it is case solving, and most of that is his subconscious, which is waaay smarter than conscious Harry. This is largely improvising, with the occasional forethought thrown in However in more recent books he is thinking more ahead on everything, he may be playing more dumb now than being dumb, as with Eb, where he outmaneuvred a wizard with three centuries on him.

He is also kinda dumb though, he still, despite knowing better, shares the wisdom of his ass when he shouldn’t, and misses things like the tension between Molly and Lara and or what is wrong with Carlos which he really shouldn’t and doesn’t ask about. He annoys people sometimes just for the sheer joy of annoying them

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 05:38:56 PM »
Harry is a bit of an idiot savant, with emphasis on the idiot.

He is in his own words “Kinda smart” but it is case solving, and most of that is his subconscious, which is waaay smarter than conscious Harry. This is largely improvising, with the occasional forethought thrown in However in more recent books he is thinking more ahead on everything, he may be playing more dumb now than being dumb, as with Eb, where he outmaneuvred a wizard with three centuries on him.

He is also kinda dumb though, he still, despite knowing better, shares the wisdom of his ass when he shouldn’t, and misses things like the tension between Molly and Lara and or what is wrong with Carlos which he really shouldn’t and doesn’t ask about. He annoys people sometimes just for the sheer joy of annoying them

Since he wrote about it, Harry didn't miss the tension, what he missed was the significance.. However I don't think that has come out yet. 

The annoying people for the sheer joy is at once immaturity and being a smart ass... However being a smart ass has also been a clever tactic when going up against someone stronger and smarter than he is. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
Yes but he antagonises people he doesn’t need to antagonise, merely because sometimes they are in authority. Jokes on Harry, by the end of BG he is going to be THE authority, and boy is that going to bite him in the ass. If Jim doesn’t write a character who treats Harry like he treats people in authority, with the same type of snart assery, then Jim isn’t allowing Harry to develope.

About time Harry had a new apprentice.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »
Maybe birthing Bonea has given Harry serious pregnancy/new mommy brain. We have no idea the ramifications that may happen and Bonea was extremely overdue. All mommy kind of lose it those first few years. I know I did, and i still haven't gotten it back. XD

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
The wizards of the Lord of the Rings are not the wizards of the Dresdenverse, they are neither human nor elf.
Way to miss the point.

If were going with D&D, Harry didn't really have a dump stat. He has too much strength and constitution for a wizard. Then he took the Winter Mantle feat and really over invested in those stats. He's probably got too much wisdom too. Have you seen his will checks!? Too much agility, too. He's talked a lot about how agile he is.

Charisma and Intelligence are the most likely areas for his dump stat, but I'm not convinced. Bob and Elaine have both been impressed by his enchantments. He's always solving mysteries and thinking his way out of trouble. So he's definitely not a slouch in the int department. As JumpyDragon said, there's good evidence that he's got a high charisma stat. There was serious concern in Changes that Harry would split the Council by leading the young wardens into attacking the Red Court. They would have followed him if they hadn't been captured. Him showing up was enough for there to be a plot to assassinate Ariana while she was under a flag of truce.

The problem with Harry isn't his character sheet; it's his character. Harry has psychological problems that cause him trouble. He avoids introspection and questions about himself. He has a serious problem with lipping off. But we've seen him move away from these character flaws as he's aged. In a D&D sense, what Harry lacks is xp, and boy is he going out of his way to fix that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
Way to miss the point.

No, not missing the point, I believe you are.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »
When Harry plays D & D he plays as over muscled barbarians.

JumpyDragom ‘mommy’ brain is the least of Harry’s concerns, how may physical AND psychic traumas has his brain been exposed to? He may heal physically completely unlike a normal mortal, but Shaggy isn’t ever going away. Ever.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
When Harry plays D & D he plays as over muscled barbarians.

JumpyDragom ‘mommy’ brain is the least of Harry’s concerns, how may physical AND psychic traumas has his brain been exposed to? He may heal physically completely unlike a normal mortal, but Shaggy isn’t ever going away. Ever.

Nope, Harry saw him without his little loin cloth and he weren't a pretty sight... What Harry needs to do now is lure Shaggy to Demonreach knowing what he knows now, Alfred will be happy to accommodate him, but the vision will never leave Harry's head.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 12:00:38 AM »
What Shaggy REALLY REALLY wants is Morgan, the one that got away. My theory is that Shaggy was the same Naagloshi who Morgan lured to the A Bomb site, and it took Shaggy more than 50 years to pull himself together. Shaggy has A grudge only satisfied by absorbing Morgan.

So to get Shaggy, Harry in Mirror, Mirror needs to bring Mirror Morgan over as bait. The events of Grave Peril took place years after the A Bomb incident, so Mirror Morgan also nuked Shaggy, and would thus make the perfect bait to get him to Demonreach.

Simple really.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:42 AM »
Stars and stones....this topic has taken a curveball into the parallel universe haha

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 01:37:22 AM »
No, not missing the point, I believe you are.
I definitely got the reference and that it was a just a reference. You didn't.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 01:51:46 AM »
I definitely got the reference and that it was a just a reference. You didn't.

What about a wizard burning down a forest?  Yeah I got it, but you gotta understand the history.. You don't.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 02:02:55 AM »
Treebeard says "a wizard should know better." That's the reference. It's a quote. You see Treebeard said "a wizard should know better. JumpyDragon said "Harry should have known better." Harry is a wizard.

What history is it that I don't understand that you do and how does it have any relevance? Is no one allowed to make LotR references when talking about the DF? Somebody better tell Harry.