Author Topic: Morgan's Journal Revisited  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan's Journal Revisited
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 03:08:34 AM »

Or, well, I think more accurately he wasn't good at thinking outside the box. Morgan wasn't dumb, but he was a straight-line A-to-B thinker... like most of the older wizards, it seems.

Morgan was a good soldier, that doesn't mean that he was stupid, he wasn't.  However neither was he clever, or rather he lacked imagination.  When you lack imagination, you cannot see the big picture.

Morgan wasn’t an investigator, he was an enforcer, when he needed an investigator, he went to Harry.

Yes, that is the point, an enforcer merely has to be a believer, he carries out orders, it doesn't require a whole lot of thinking.  An investigator is a odd combination, he has to have an imagination, but at the same time he must deal in facts.  They are what they are, no belief required, then he has to be able to think to make them add up, or not.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »
And he still did ignore Harry's warning about the Summer/Winter issue in SK; I don't think that's explainable as just testing Harry.

That's a good point. I have no excuse for him there.

Re: not an investigator, I'm not sure we have any basis to judge that. He's one of the Council's top wardens, not a member of the Brute Squad. In Storm Front, his plan to hold on to Harry through the storm and see if that stopped the killing was a pretty good out-of-the-box plan. It only looked stupid to us because we knew Harry was telling the truth about being the next target.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
That's a good point. I have no excuse for him there.

Re: not an investigator, I'm not sure we have any basis to judge that. He's one of the Council's top wardens, not a member of the Brute Squad. In Storm Front, his plan to hold on to Harry through the storm and see if that stopped the killing was a pretty good out-of-the-box plan. It only looked stupid to us because we knew Harry was telling the truth about being the next target.

However if Morgan had done what you say, all he would have accomplished would be witnessing innocent Harry's heart being ripped from his body since he was the next target if he didn't get to the house to break up the ritual before the storm broke out.  Either way Harry was dead, since if his heart wasn't torn our of his body, Morgan would assume he was guilty and lopped off his head. Yeah, great plan.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
You're looking at it from our (Harry's) perspective and with our knowledge. Yes, it would have gone horribly wrong, but Morgan had no reason to believe that. (Harry's claim that he was the next target came *after* he heard Morgan's plan, so it was a particularly convenient thing to say...)

Compare to Harry's clever plan in Proven Guilty -- the one that sends the Fetch right past all of the Carpenter residence's protections to whisk Molly off to Arctis Tor.

That's about as spectacularly wrong as a plan can go. It went that wrong because Harry didn't have enough information. Same with Morgan's plan in Storm Front. It was a good plan that would have gone spectacularly wrong because Morgan didn't have enough information.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »
You're looking at it from our (Harry's) perspective and with our knowledge. Yes, it would have gone horribly wrong, but Morgan had no reason to believe that. (Harry's claim that he was the next target came *after* he heard Morgan's plan, so it was a particularly convenient thing to say...)

Compare to Harry's clever plan in Proven Guilty -- the one that sends the Fetch right past all of the Carpenter residence's protections to whisk Molly off to Arctis Tor.

That's about as spectacularly wrong as a plan can go. It went that wrong because Harry didn't have enough information. Same with Morgan's plan in Storm Front. It was a good plan that would have gone spectacularly wrong because Morgan didn't have enough information.

Nobody is saying that Morgan is dumb, he is a good soldier, but he lacks imagination and curiosity.
And why would Morgan's plan have gone so wrong in Storm Front?  Because he couldn't imagine the larger picture, alternate causes for the murder.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:57:24 PM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »
The fetches didn't get sent past the defenses, Molly let them in.  The plan worked to perfection.  It just wasn't the perfection he was thinking about.  But Mab helped him out.

Side note.  The Morgan in Storm Front is not the Morgan in the microfiction.  He is a closely related Morgan from a parallel universe close to ours. ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
The fetches didn't get sent past the defenses, Molly let them in.  The plan worked to perfection.  It just wasn't the perfection he was thinking about.  But Mab helped him out.

Side note.  The Morgan in Storm Front is not the Morgan in the microfiction.  He is a closely related Morgan from a parallel universe close to ours. ;)
???

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 08:03:03 AM »
Timing is everything, who arranged for Morgan to be away on a mission when Malcolm died, and young Harry dropped off the radar screen?  Morgan says he arrived on scene less then ten hours later and Harry had already disappeared.  Really?  No records anywhere of what happened to six year old Harry?  What is weird about that is as a Warden of the White Council, you'd think that Morgan would know some pull to get access to those records.  Someone on the Senior Council or even Luccio would have political connections of that kind. 

Of course, we don't have the information we need to figure this out, but I will try anyway.  Just because Luccio is the Captain of the Wardens; and she probably gave Morgan the orders which sent him away from Harry and his father, that doesn't mean it was her idea.  Captain Luccio could have been given a mission to accomplish by a Senior Council member, a mission that required someone with Morgan's knowledge and skill set.  That leaves us with an old problem, which Senior Council member of that time was a traitor?

We can probably eliminate Aleron La Fortier because he's dead.  Ebenezer wasn't a Senior Council member at that time and I doubt that when Eb was acting as the Blackstaff he would have ever needed to consult with Captain Luccio.  Cristos wasn't on the Senior Council then either.   If Arthur Langtry, Ancient Mai, LTW or Martha Liberty was and is a traitor, they all sure have had a lot of time to be doing traitorous things without accomplishing very much.  So I discount all of them as traitors.  That leaves The Gatekeeper and a Senior Council member we've only heard about, Simon Pietrovich. 

If it was the Gatekeeper, couldn't he just screw up the defenses at the Outer Gates by letting a bunch of nemefcted individuals get through or misdirect Winter's forces so the Outsiders could break through in a big way?  That leaves Simon.  I don't think Simon Pietrovich is dead.  Unlike Aleron La Fortier, I don't think we heard anything about his body being found.  My guess is that Simon is Cowl.  It would explain how Cowl knew that the wardens were nervous about Harry.  It's one thing to know about Harry.  A ton of people and not people have known about Harry, but to know about internal White Council gossip is another thing.

About whoever made Harry seemingly disappear from the face of the earth, Mira you mentioned Lea later in your post and she is the obvious suspect, but just to nail it down a bit better, remember that Jim has told us that Margaret LeFay didn't make the best deal she could have when she bargained with Lea to protect Harry.  Margaret probably didn't think to get protection for Malcolm Dresden because he wasn't part of the magical community.  Margaret's deal probably didn't preclude Lea from making a separate deal with Justin DuMorne and later making another deal with Harry.  Lea would have seen Justin as a good match to teach young Harry how to use his abilities and also calculated that she could live up to her deal with Margaret by eventually helping Harry to defeat Justin.  So I think Lea either killed Malcolm Dresden or looked the other way while Justin did.  Until Lea was forced to hand over her contract with Harry to Mab, I think she had gotten the better of Margaret, Justin and still had a long-term hold on Harry.

What I want to know is whether Luccio will ever show what Morgan wrote down to Harry.  Harry may need the clues in Warden Morgan's journal to figure out who the traitor is.  Also, LTW personally investigated Simon's fortress at Archangel.  Seeing as River Shoulders told Harry that LTW is near the end of his road, if Injun Joe learned anything interesting investigating the Red Court's attack on Simon's personal HQ, it's about the time he shares that knowledge with someone else, maybe Harry.  I'll be very interested in any conversations Harry and LTW have in Battle Ground.  Finally, after reading Morgan's final journal entry; assuming she did read it, Captain Luccio should also be putting pieces together and wondering about the unlikely coincidence of having to send Morgan on a mission, when he could have stopped young Harry from being disappeared.  However, if it was Simon who gave Luccio her marching orders, and she believes Simon really was killed by the Red Court, then to Luccio coincidence might make sense.   

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
What I want to know is whether Luccio will ever show what Morgan wrote down to Harry.  Harry may need the clues in Warden Morgan's journal to figure out who the traitor is.  Also, LTW personally investigated Simon's fortress at Archangel.  Seeing as River Shoulders told Harry that LTW is near the end of his road, if Injun Joe learned anything interesting investigating the Red Court's attack on Simon's personal HQ, it's about the time he shares that knowledge with someone else, maybe Harry.  I'll be very interested in any conversations Harry and LTW have in Battle Ground.  Finally, after reading Morgan's final journal entry; assuming she did read it, Captain Luccio should also be putting pieces together and wondering about the unlikely coincidence of having to send Morgan on a mission, when he could have stopped young Harry from being disappeared.  However, if it was Simon who gave Luccio her marching orders, and she believes Simon really was killed by the Red Court, then to Luccio coincidence might make sense.   
Or Peabody was doing his thing with the ink even back when Harry was a child, but not on as great a scale as he was when Harry found him out.   He may have messed with Simon's mind or more likely Luccio's mind, the orders for the mission were given so Morgan would be elsewhere when Malcolm died.  La Fortier may have figured this out, thus he had to be eliminated, so did Luccio and Morgan.  So they were set up, her mind controlled to murder La Fortier, and Morgan to discover and take the fall for it.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Pietrovich was a great friend of Eb’s, AND he was duMornes Master. Everyone you need to keep Harry ‘protected’, and away from Malcolm  except it didn’t.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 01:07:13 PM »
Pietrovich was a great friend of Eb’s, AND he was duMornes Master. Everyone you need to keep Harry ‘protected’, and away from Malcolm  except it didn’t.

Or see to it that young Harry is taken away from Malcolm by murdering him, disappeared for a few years, then snapped up when his talent emerges by a retired warden turned warlock to train as an enforcer.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »
My guess is that Eb trusted Simon and Simon (wrongly) trusted DuMorne.

Margaret appears to have trusted Morgan to keep Harry away from Eb. Morgan and DuMorne would have been contemporaries as wardens, was there a particular beef between them?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
???
It was sarcasm.  Jim has retconned Morgan.  The Morgan of the microfiction is Morgan version 2, the new and improved Morgan. It breaks things, particularly in terms of motivation.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
It was sarcasm.  Jim has retconned Morgan.  The Morgan of the microfiction is Morgan version 2, the new and improved Morgan. It breaks things, particularly in terms of motivation.

My  ??? was in the spirit of your sarcasm..  My first reaction to the microfiction was WTF?? ???
Especially in the light of his last words to Harry in Turn Coat.

"Because I knew," he whispered.  He lifted his right hand, and I gripped it hard. "I knew that you knew how it felt to be an innocent man hounded by the Wardens." It was the closest he'd ever come to saying that he'd been wrong about me.

So if Morgan knew all along that Harry was innocent, why all the fricking testing and making his life a horror?  It took being pursued and accused of a crime he didn't commit, before he went to the one guy he pursued when he knew he was innocent?  And even then, he couldn't say he was sorry? The
other thing that never made sense to me is Morgan, the Warden's Warden, would make promises to Margaret on any level.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:07 PM »
Because Morgan is going to appear in the next book (not half a book), and he needs to justify what is going to be some of his interaction with Harry, especially if alt Morgan follows him home.

Alt Morgan coming to our Harry’s timeline makes sense, Journal indicates that he knows Harry has the potential to be a destroyer, and if Alt Harry is a destroyer he knows his time-line is doomed. Alt-Luccio is likely dead, the White Council damaged beyond repair in the Red Court War, and Alt Morgan can make good on his promise to alt-Margaret.

I wonder if the White Council would consider Morgan apparently coming back to life as a breach of the Fifth Law? It may depend on whether he comes willingly or not.